Flattening chips - question (1 Viewer)

Goldfish

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I am undertaking my first attempt to flatten chips. I have my ceramic spacers - check, I have my wooden vice grips - check, I do not have my 3D flattening chip holders which have been order - not checked.

First, my plug for @One Eyed Dollar, I have not received his chip holders yet, but after spending the last half hour trying to get the chips into the vice without them, I can see they are a necessary tool for this process. I recommend that anyone attempting to flatten chips order his racks well before you start so you are not tempted to do what I am doing. This is like trying to complete a rubik’s cube without the cheat book. Chips and spacers have fallen all over the floor 3 times already.

so now I am here anxious to try to flatten chips without my chip holders. QUESTION - do any of you chip flattening veterans know of a good way to get the chips in the vice lined up, without the chip holders?

let me know. Thanks much.

I am undertaking my first attempt to flatten chips. I have my ceramic spacers - check, I have my wooden vice grips - check, I do not have my 3D flattening chip holders which have been order - not checked.

First, my plug for @One Eyed Dollar, I have not received his chip holders yet, but after spending the last half hour trying to get the chips into the vice without them, I can see they are a necessary tool for this process. I recommend that anyone attempting to flatten chips order his racks well before you start so you are not tempted to do what I am doing. This is like trying to complete a rubik’s cube without the cheat book. Chips and spacers have fallen all over the floor 3 times already.

so now I am here anxious to try to flatten chips without my chip holders. QUESTION - do any of you chip flattening veterans know of a good way to get the chips in the vice lined up, without the chip holders?

You could find a rack where they fit tightly. Once in there, you can get about half of them in the grip. Release tension just a little too slide the barrel in more then tighten again.

That is funny that u suggest that. I just tried that with the matsui rack - its works pretty good. I sure it’s not as good as the 3D chip holders (given that I almost cracked the rack). But it will work for the short term. Problem solved. Thanks!

Here we go - into the oven they go.........
C5D93FCF-1357-4FD8-BED5-567FDE7B9A53.jpeg

That is funny that u suggest that. I just tried that with the matsui rack - its works pretty good. I sure it’s not as good as the 3D chip holders (given that I almost cracked the rack). But it will work for the short term. Problem solved. Thanks!
Ooof; yeah, I wouldn't think it would work well with a Matsui rack. When I've done this in the past, I use my Chipco racks. They hold my Paulsons very tight.

I’m in the process of trying to flatten some HSI’s and have found a section of 1.5” PVC works well to align the chips. I took a length of pipe and cut it long ways. Like this:
1:2 pipe.jpg

Then I also cut a little off 1 edge again so the pipe is narrower than it was originally, thereby giving room for the inside of the pipe to fit snug up against the side of the chips. Like this:
pipe on stack.jpg

I sanded the edges smooth and tapered the ends so the contraption slides up and down on the chip stack (like in the second picture). It makes for stacking chips in a high stack really easy.

I suspect you could do something similar and only use ½ of the pipe to lay the chips in on their edges, then place the clamp on both ends. Does that make sense??

my oven doesn’t go below 170 degrees. What is the work around for this? Anyone know.

Can I just wrap the heating pad around the clamped chips?

Can I just wrap the heating pad around the clamped chips?
Not sure it would work well unless you heat them for quite a while. The idea is to get the entire chip, through to the center, to the right temperature to “relax” the material. Otherwise, there would be stress in the chip as parts of it want to go back to the warped state.

Ahhh, as opposed to laying them flat first. I actually skipped this step. The ceramics warmed up evenly (measured by an infrared thermometer), and that warmed the chips evenly.

Off to cvs for a heating pad and infrared thermometer......

If you’re using the heating pad, not sure why you NEED the thermometer, unless to verify the temp that the pad says?

Maybe one more thing....I prefer oversized ceramic blanks for unwarping/baking chips...Gene has these

I bought both sizes. U r saying use the 43 mm fir the 39 mm chips? I thought about doing that.
btw, today was a bust, cvs didn’t have a big enough heating pad. Had to order one on line. And I bought a medical thermometer which as someone pointed out doesn’t go high enough. as @Anthony Martino says...... whomp whomp whomp.

I bought both sizes. U r saying use the 43 mm fir the 39 mm chips? I thought about doing that.
btw, today was a bust, cvs didn’t have a big enough heating pad. Had to order one on line. And I bought a medical thermometer which as someone pointed out doesn’t go high enough. as @Anthony Martino says...... whomp whomp whomp.
Yes, I prefer oversized blanks on 39mm chips.

And use a cheapo IR temp meter....these go more then high enough and you can measure without opening up the over or heating pad

1610232102792.png

Truth is, you can use anything that will get the chips up to temp. There was one thread here a while back where a member was letting them soak for a number of minutes in water at the right temperature. But that’s messy needing to dry them a bit before clamping.

Truth is, you can use anything that will get the chips up to temp. There was one thread here a while back where a member was letting them soak for a number of minutes in water at the right temperature. But that’s messy needing to dry them a bit before clamping.
for hotstamps maybe...but never with inlayed chips imho (espc. shaped inlays)

Gonna try the heating pad..... if that doesn't work gonna look into buying a portable warming drawer. Gonna tell the wife “happy holidays to you,“ even though it’s really for me.... hehe.

So, I have been flattening chips at a rapid pace now..... the heating pad works GREAT!! I wrap the rack of chips in the heating pad for 60 mins at 160 degrees. The chips get to a temp of about 125-135 degrees. i let cool for at least 2 hours. The 39 mm come out nice and flat. I did a rack of 43 mm - which had a significant result but probably need another run to get completely flat. All said a big shout out to @BearMetal and @Colquhoun for the heating pad idea!! I have already ordered 2 more heating pads so I can run a barrel and a half at a time. Let’s gooooooo.
E7C3C731-BD81-4B65-AE98-0AA300DBE29B.jpeg

So, I have been flattening chips at a rapid pace now..... the heating pad works GREAT!! I wrap the rack of chips in the heating pad for 60 mins at 160 degrees. The chips get to a temp of about 125-135 degrees. i let cool for at least 2 hours. The 39 mm come out nice and flat. I did a rack of 43 mm - which had a significant result but probably need another run to get completely flat. All said a big shout out to @BearMetal and @Colquhoun for the heating pad idea!! I have already ordered 2 more heating pads so I can run a barrel and a half at a time. Let’s gooooooo.
View attachment 616324
I did a rack yesterday... I've got 4 clamps and 2 heating pads (and 1 pissed off wife who wants her heating pads back). Was able to knock out the whole rack in half a day!

Last edited:
nice!! I have 4 clamps and will have 3 heating pads! This is awesome. I have so many chips to flatten.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom