Cash Game Fixed limit stakes compared to NL (1 Viewer)

Marius L

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Reading on this board makes me more and more curious about mixed games and fixed limit games. Here in Norway we dont have a tradition for playing much other than NLHE and PLO.

I have played some of the more traditional games online, like stud and razz, but what looks like the most fun to me is the circus games, like drawmaha and sohe. (And there are probably a bunch of other, more or less circusy, games to explore as well).

What I am wondering now is how to set up a limit game, and what kinda fixed limit stakes would equate similar nlhe stakes. We usually play 5-5 or 5-10 (or sometimes 10-20) for our nlhe game, so what would be similar stakes to this in fixed limit? I have basically zero experience with fixed, so I cant tell how big pots tends to get, and what blinds I should have for my game to stay in the same range as my nlhe game.

My usual rule of thumb when I play fixed limit mixed games is I want my starting stack to be around 25 bigs usually (although I'm more conservative than other players AND I enjoy having more chips in front of me)

So in a 4/8 mixed game that would be $200, for instance.

If your usual stack size in your game is $1,000 as a for instance, divide that by 25 = 40

In that case you'd play 20/40 limit.

Fixed-limit circus games are great fun. At your current 5/5 NL/PL stakes, I'd recommend either 20/40 limit (using 10 denomination chips) or 25/50 limit (using 25 denomination chips).

Note that those are the betting limits, not the blind sizes. A 20/40 limit game would have a 10 sb and 20 bb, with pre-flop and flop bets fixed at 20, and the turn and river bets fixed at 40 (typically maximum four bets per street or betting round).

Like others have said, I equate FL & NL by the buyin amounts.

Fixed limit = 25 big bets
No Limit = 200 big blinds

So for your 5/5 NL/PL I would be buying in for $1000 (just a little above my bankroll ;) )
So an equal fixed limit game would be 20/40 where I would buyin for $1000

Note that you can also just cap the action from the players on any hand. We did that in Chicago, where the total action was capped at something like $50/$100 per player for a given hand. That allowed us to play some pot limit games mixed in with the true fixed limit games. It was awesome fun! I also introduced several Madison players to 3-hand hold-em using a $20 per player cap. They were having a great time, and not risking their entire buy-in. Definitely the way to go, in my opinion....

Last edited:
Note that you can also just cap the action from the players on any hand. We did that in Chicago, where the total action was capped at $50 per player for a given hand. That allowed us to play some pot limit games mixed in with the true fixed limit games. It was awesome fun! I also introduced several Madison players to 3-hand hold-em using a $20 per player cap. They were having a great time, and not risking their entire buy-in. Definitely the way to go, in my opinion....

You're killing my earn rate brah! :p

Note that you can also just cap the action from the players on any hand. We did that in Chicago, where the total action was capped at $50 per player for a given hand. That allowed us to play some pot limit games mixed in with the true fixed limit games. It was awesome fun! I also introduced several Madison players to 3-hand hold-em using a $20 per player cap. They were having a great time, and not risking their entire buy-in. Definitely the way to go, in my opinion....

Seems like we did that at Piss'd n Broke, capped at $75 a hand I believe. It came into play almost ever hand though.

In my home game people usually buy in for $20 for the .25/.25 game. Can you do a limit game with a $20 buy in or would the limits be stupid low?

In my home game people usually buy in for $20 for the .25/.25 game. Can you do a limit game with a $20 buy in or would the limits be stupid low?

.50/1 small bet/big bet. .25/.50 blinds.

.50/1 might be just a tad big for a $20 buy-in, but since it’s limit, it might work. We play 5¢/10¢ NLHE with a $10 buy-in. .20/.40 worked fine, but we could have gone a touch bigger without issue.

Average Cash out is for $34 so yes, people rebuy and add on.
Then you should be good playing small bet .25, big bet .50, with either .25/.25 blinds, or a maybe a single dealer blind of .25.

Edit: I meant .50/1 FL with .25/.50 blinds. I’m thinking about moving our $10 game to .25/.50 FL with a single dealer .25 blind.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Fixed-limit circus games are great fun. At your current 5/5 NL/PL stakes, I'd recommend either 20/40 limit (using 10 denomination chips) or 25/50 limit (using 25 denomination chips).

Note that those are the betting limits, not the blind sizes. A 20/40 limit game would have a 10 sb and 20 bb, with pre-flop and flop bets fixed at 20, and the turn and river bets fixed at 40 (typically maximum four bets per street or betting round).

Do you think it would be ok playing 20/40 with 5s?

Do you think it would be ok playing 20/40 with 5s?
That's a LOT of chips. It's a four/eight chip game, which can become a little tiring to wing around bets all night.

As @BGinGA said, "That's a LOT of chips. It's a four/eight chip game, which can become" quite thrilling to wing around bets all night, but a four/eight chip game is probably the largest number of chips one would want without the game getting unwieldy. (I play $4/$8 with $1 chips and it's not unreasonable.)

$10 chips are reasonable, but if you don't have any (or enough), $5 chips are more than sufficient, especially if you're not sure that your players will like those stakes.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom