Tourney Fifty-50 Tournaments (1 Viewer)

DeeVee8

Straight
Reaction score
P* runs these Fifty-50 tourneys where the top half of players get paid. 50% the money is returning the buy-in to the players, and the other 50% pays out based on percentage of chips in play. So in 10 players tourneys, its over when 5 have been eliminated.

Normally I wouldn't use this in a home game, but I'm trying to pry NLHE from their cold, dead hands once and a while, and I thought this might be my ticket to get them to try new tournaments like PLO and Stud.

My dilemma is that I'm stumped on clocking this thing. Straight NLHE tourney end times are pretty easy to predict, but I'm looking for input on how you might approach this.

Eliminations certainly don't fall on a bell curve. My initial thought is 60 or 75% of a normal tournament length, but I have nothing to back that up. As always , would love to hear what you have to say.

tenor.gif

My initial thought is 60 or 75% of a normal tournament length

Same experience: eliminations happen more towards the end of the tournament.

We are looking for when would 55% of the eliminations occurs (5/9)...your range feels good. I’d set the line around 70%.

Edited to confirm: you are running a single table tourney? The math is different for MTT as eliminations are more a function of hands than time

Last edited:
Untitled.png

Narrowing it down to just 1 (common) blind structure, this chart (red line) shows the levels players have been eliminated. Looking over the records, I see 50th percentile is eliminated around level 15.

Level 30 has never been reached - I just needed a number to fill out the spreadsheet for the winner. It indicates I have 16 games on this blind structure.

Levels 6, 11, 16, and 21 are breaks (11 is the last chance to rebuy, so it has "Knockouts" recorded, as players surrender their stacks to rebuy).

I can analyze/interpret the data further if needed, but to put it in most basic terms, in a 4.5-5 hour tournament (with hourly breaks), the 50th percentile is KOed around the end of hour 3.

Looks like 65-70% of a normal tournament is pretty spot on. PLO would probably push it to down 60-65%?

The way I do it is set up two tables, first ten to arrive form the first sng. The late arrivals are seated at the second table and as soon as late arrival + bust outs = 8, then a second sng begins. Pretty much keeps the games running continuously. Everybody plays 3-4 sngs over the course of an evening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom