Cash Game Expanding for higher stakes (1 Viewer)

Nine_high

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi. So I currently have a custom set meant for a big .25/.50 or .50/1.00 game, fully stretched at 20 players. I also built in for a single table game up to a small 2/5. Now I'm thinking I might do an addon to get a full 2 tables up to 1/3 and a bigger single table 2/5. I've already had players asking me to do a "high roller" night with ~$500 buy ins, which I would probably just run as 1/3. Since this is my forever set I figure it should be able to ratchet up a notch in stakes ...someday.

Anyway my current set is as follows (*counting some spares):

.25 - 160
.50 - 80
1 - 260
5 - 340
20 - 160
100 - 87*
500 - 31*

If I ever did two tables with no fracs or a moderately large single table 2/5 I think I would want to swap out the 20 for 25. I also want more 5 and maybe more 1. The question is how much of each?

Would a set of 300/600/300/87/31 of $1/$5/$25/$100/$500 cover two full tables of 1/3 and one full table of 2/5? Do I need more of the $100+? Should I skip the 25 and just fill four racks of $20?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi. So I currently have a custom set meant for a big .25/.50 or .50/1.00 game, fully stretched at 20 players. I also built in for a single table game up to a small 2/5. Now I'm thinking I might do an addon to get a full 2 tables up to 1/3 and a bigger single table 2/5. I've already had players asking me to do a "high roller" night with ~$500 buy ins, which I would probably just run as 1/3. Since this is my forever set I figure it should be able to ratchet up a notch in stakes ...someday.

Anyway my current set is as follows (*counting some spares):

.25 - 160
.50 - 80
1 - 260
5 - 340
20 - 160
100 - 87*
500 - 31*

If I ever did two tables with no fracs or a moderately large single table 2/5 I think I would want to swap out the 20 for 25. I also want more 5 and maybe more 1. The question is how much of each?

Would a set of 300/600/300/87/31 of $1/$5/$25/$100/$500 cover two full tables of 1/3 and one full table of 2/5? Do I need more of the $100+? Should I skip the 25 and just fill four racks of $20?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.
400 1s in my opinion.

600 5s won't cover three tables well. 900 minimum.

300 $1 should be fine since they are solely for posting blinds but I agree that would would need more fivers unless you want to run a tight ship (not fun imho). 9 racks should do the job.

Edit: 600 for 2 tables should work too

Yeah i don't think I'd run a third table, not sure how that got in here.

I think 3 racks of 25 (or 4 racks of 20) will be enough bank for two tables at 1/3? My total bank would be $35k that is almost 6000 bb per table.

200-300 $5s per table is enough. Get those $25s in play, they are your workhorses for your bigger games, so 2-3 racks of those. Wouldn't hurt to get a few more $100, but you'll have to calculate your bank needs based on your biggest night, and then probably doubling it (using your high value chips).

You can play with just stacks and stacks and stacks of $5, but that just drives the cost of your sets up unnecessarily, and may be very hard to find to boot.

200-300 $5s per table is enough. Get those $25s in play, they are your workhorses for your bigger games, so 2-3 racks of those. Wouldn't hurt to get a few more $100, but you'll have to calculate your bank needs based on your biggest night, and then probably doubling it (using your high value chips).

You can play with just stacks and stacks and stacks of $5, but that just drives the cost of your sets up unnecessarily, and may be very hard to find to boot.
@allforcharity what do you mean by “your biggest night”? Is it max number of people? At how many buy-ins?

And then are you doubling the initial buy-in with higher chips to account for rebuys?

Can you expound on your reasoning in determining how many chips needed?

Thanks in advance.

@allforcharity what do you mean by “your biggest night”? Is it max number of people? At how many buy-ins?

And then are you doubling the initial buy-in with higher chips to account for rebuys?

Can you expound on your reasoning in determining how many chips needed?

Thanks in advance.

By "biggest night" I mean the most total value of cash chips on the table on your highest number of buy-ins you can imagine in a single session.

I don't go by the mantra that "more is always better" unless you have more money than you know what to do with. If you have a budget that you have to stick to and you want to get the best quality chips you can at that budget, then chip breakdown efficiency counts. A 10-person cash game with specific stakes can often be handled with 600 chips. You just need to calculate your total bank needs and add a fudge factor as your game stakes grow due to cost of living/inflation over your lifetime.

By "biggest night" I mean the most total value of cash chips on the table on your highest number of buy-ins you can imagine in a single session.

I don't go by the mantra that "more is always better" unless you have more money than you know what to do with. If you have a budget that you have to stick to and you want to get the best quality chips you can at that budget, then chip breakdown efficiency counts. A 10-person cash game with specific stakes can often be handled with 600 chips. You just need to calculate your total bank needs and add a fudge factor as your game stakes grow due to cost of living/inflation over your lifetime.
So if you only have one table for 10 people, and all 10 players buying in for 100bb each for five times for the night, that’s the worst case scenario? Or one of them, anyway?

I feel like there are so many variables. What would you suggest for $2/$5 blinds for 10 people buying in for 100bb a total of 5 times each in one night? Or would you consider more or less than 100bb with those stakes?

Thanks for your response.

I forgot to ask if your fudge factor was the reason why you were “doubling” the amount in your original respond.

So if you only have one table for 10 people, and all 10 players buying in for 100bb each for five times for the night, that’s the worst case scenario? Or one of them, anyway?
Unless you’re running a game for like 12-18 hours and you have players coming and going, it’s generally going to be zero-sum. So yes, be prepared for a couple players to go crazy and buy in for 100bbs a half dozen times or more, but that necessarily means that some of the other players will have a lot of chips in front of them on their first or second buy-ins.

Unless you’re running a game for like 12-18 hours and you have players coming and going, it’s generally going to be zero-sum. So yes, be prepared for a couple players to go crazy and buy in for 100bbs a half dozen times or more, but that necessarily means that some of the other players will have a lot of chips in front of them on their first or second buy-ins.
On average, what length of time does 100bb last for a table of 8-10?

On average, what length of time does 100bb last for a table of 8-10?
I'm not sure there's a good way to estimate/quantify that. You could get all-in with pocket aces on your first hand w/100bb and if someone who has you covered calls you and wins, you're out.

Too many factors, are the players tight or loose, how fast the hands are (dedicated dealer, automatic shuffler, etc.), and more, will all influence that...

I'm not sure there's a good way to estimate/quantify that. You could get all-in with pocket aces on your first hand w/100bb and if someone who has you covered calls you and wins, you're out.

Too many factors, are the players tight or loose, how fast the hands are (dedicated dealer, automatic shuffler, etc.), and more, will all influence that...
That’s what I figured. To many variables. I definitely don’t want to host 12-18 hours of poker. I love the game, but I love my wife more. Thanks for the input!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom