ELI5: What is the Niemann chess/cheating scandal all about? (1 Viewer)

Just to be clear, you're saying you'd go digging around for physical evidence, a process, to fully understand exactly how it happened? Would you live stream your process?
This hole situation stinks, but I understand why there’s such a buzz. A live stream would be a real shit show.

I'm saying that I wouldn't sounds any alram bells outside of my camp and probably a few key officials.

let it continue until it was more concrete a case. Maybe it already is. But have trusted individuals keep an eye on his play and for possible signals. I'm sure there are plenty of cameras in the venues these days such that suspicious activities would be repeated as there would likely want to be confirmation that it was correctly received.

You'd let it continue?! Have you seen any footage of suspicious activities of his play? What venues specifically, do you know the average cost to goto or watch them, do you think there are any near me? ... asking for a friend

Dude just lost and he's butthurt. Bruised ego. Other dude cheated in the past online so it's a story. If you can't beat em, accuse em of cheating, classic tactic.

I know Magnus can be pretty arrogant at times, but he is also an insanely smart guy and his chess brain is obviously completely bonkers. I have a feeling he knows what he is doing here, and that the accusations are not for nothing. He probably lacks concrete evidence (unless he has given them to FIDE somehow), and can't say much on the topic because of potential legal repercussions.

Regardless he is a very powerful man within the chess world. It would be really bad if he does this simply because he's been beat in one random game. It makes no sense. Although he is definitely a sore looser and gets super pissed when he looses I doubt he would do this without more than a really good hunch something shady is up.

Edit to add: Magnus told the Norwegian media today that he would likely talk early next week after the tournament is over. We'll see!

Last edited:
This hole situation stinks, but I understand why there’s such a buzz. A live stream would be a real shit show.
1663893164335.png

I know Magnus can be pretty arrogant at times, but he is also an insanely smart guy and his chess brain is obviously completely bonkers. I have a feeling he knows what he is doing here, and that the accusations are not for nothing. He probably lacks concrete evidence (unless he has given them to FIDE somehow), and can't say much on the topic because of potential legal repercussions.

Regardless he is a very powerful man within the chess world. It would be really bad if he does this simply because he's been beat in one random game. It makes no sense. Although he is definitely a sore looser and gets super pissed when he looses I doubt he would do this without more than a really good hunch something shady is up.

Edit to add: Magnus told the Norwegian media today that he would likely talk early next week after the tournament is over. We'll see!
Anything is possible. My hunch is that the guy just can't handle losing, and knowing that his opponent who admitted to cheating in the past beat him, it must be a conspiracy, right? If the guy hadn't cheated in the past it would still be a story but Magnus wouldn't have something to point to as a reason why he might have lost. In this case he has that benefit.

I'm happy to be wrong, either way I don't care, it's just the way I look at it. A big ego guy loses, can't handle it, crys foul, and the chess world goes nuts.

Its not exactly comparable but upsets happen all the time. Some of my favorites include...

Tyson losing to Douglas
US beating the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics
Nadal losing to Soldering in the 2009 French Open (that stung as a Nadal fan)
Any time the Maple Leafs lose in game 7 of the 1st round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, yeah, fuck the Leafs

Anything is possible. My hunch is that the guy just can't handle losing, and knowing that his opponent who admitted to cheating in the past beat him, it must be a conspiracy, right? If the guy hadn't cheated in the past it would still be a story but Magnus wouldn't have something to point to as a reason why he might have lost. In this case he has that benefit.

I'm happy to be wrong, either way I don't care, it's just the way I look at it. A big ego guy loses, can't handle it, crys foul, and the chess world goes nuts.

Its not exactly comparable but upsets happen all the time. Some of my favorites include...

Tyson losing to Douglas
US beating the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics
Nadal losing to Soldering in the 2009 French Open (that stung as a Nadal fan)
Any time the Maple Leafs lose in game 7 of the 1st round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, yeah, fuck the Leafs
Yeah, guess it's possible. He is definitely a really bad loser, that's for sure.

Is he really such a bad loser? Do you have examples other than the Niemann episode? He is usually more angry with his own play than anything.

Is he really such a bad loser? Do you have examples other than the Niemann episode? He is usually more angry with his own play than anything.
I find it much more likely that he knows something the rest of us do not in this case. I just agree that in theory anything is posible.

And I agree, he is probably more angry with his own play after loosing. But he definitely hates losing.

As per my reply above I trust his judgement that something is not like it should be in this situation.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/carlsen-statement-niemann-cheating

Well next chapter released.

My Cliffs: Magnus thinks he cheated alot. Hans wasn't stressed and had gotten good too quickly. Magnus won't say more because slander/libel...

So basically I don't see Hans getting any invites as Magnus would probably just resign. Is it possible he cheated? Absolutely. However, with new technology people get better quickly. Younger GMs, etc. Hans seems like a very weird, socially awkward person. First I had heard about him was when he was pissy about playing a $10 entry to a charity tournament that he walked across.

Similar to poker, players have access to better information, teaching, and, sure, cheating tools/methods. This could have been done by just focused on increasing anti-cheating measures pre-STL imo.

I think Nadal was more injured than he let on that year. If he was healthy, Federer NEVER gets the career grand slam.
This is probably right. Nadal is always figting some sort of nagging issue. His style of play is very taxing on the body, the reverse of Federer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom