Earthquake! (1 Viewer)

Near There ???
Seriously ??
Yeah, small one, like 3.8-4.2 but it scared the shit out me. I thought a vehicle struck the house. The epicenter looks to have been about 3km down below West Seneca which is about 15m from me and is where I work. Not sure how close you have to be to feel something like that but my whole house shook for several seconds.

Yeah, small one, like 3.8-4.2 but it scared the shit out me. I thought a vehicle struck the house. The epicenter looks to have been about 3km down below West Seneca which is about 15m from me and is where I work. Not sure how close you have to be to feel something like that but my whole house shook for several seconds.
My best friends live in west Seneca…I’ll ask them.

So I’m so used to them a 4-5 is nothing
I was in the 9.x Japan quakes

It’s wild you can hear earthquakes here coming

I’ll hear this rumbling like a freight train is coming and i know one is about to hit
Usually a 3-4

Happened twice recently

So I’m so used to them a 4-5 is nothing
I was in the 9.x Japan quakes

It’s wild you can hear earthquakes here coming

I’ll hear this rumbling like a freight train is coming and i know one is about to hit
Usually a 3-4

Happened twice recently
You were in Japan in 2011 when that hit? I can't even imagine. I just watched a new doc on NHL on Friday about thatvon with stuff I've never seen. I've always been fascinated about earthquakes and tsunamis and that one and the Indonesian one were insane.

You were in Japan in 2011 when that hit? I can't even imagine. I just watched a new doc on NHL on Friday about thatvon with stuff I've never seen. I've always been fascinated about earthquakes and tsunamis and that one and the Indonesian one were insane.

Yah the room was just all rattling and swaying but we weren’t close to the center
Less for us in Yokosuka

Wildest shit ever was maybe a 6-7 in Tokyo on 15th floor
The whole apartment was swaying
Hanging lights were going like wild
I can’t even imagine the top flop in that how much the entire building was moving

They are all built on rollers there to absorb those

Even a 4-5 in my apartment on the 4th floor was a party

Im in a house here
No rolling just rattling

Yah the room was just all rattling and swaying but we weren’t close to the center
Less for us in Yokosuka

Wildest shit ever was maybe a 6-7 in Tokyo on 15th floor
The whole apartment was swaying
Hanging lights were going like wild
I can’t even imagine the top flop in that how much the entire building was moving

They are all built on rollers there to absorb those

Even a 4-5 in my apartment on the 4th floor was a party

Im in a house here
No rolling just rattling
Insane!

Yeah, thanks! I know this was a baby one, but it was the first I've felt.
There's a "did you feel it" link in the second of those pages I linked. They use that information to learn more about quakes, and particularly their impact on people and structures, things that can't be measured with a seismograph. Might be worth taking a minute or two to fill that page out.

Haven't felt on myself (in the wrong geographic area for them) but I do remember we were living in Salt Lake City when the big earthquake that upset Old Faithful in Yellowstone hit in the early part of the 1980s. My sister and I were sitting at the dining room table doing our home work or maybe just coloring when the light over the table started to sway gently followed a few moments later by a bang when the kitchen counter separated from the wall by an eighth of an inch or so. Super strange at the time and it wasn't until the news later that night that we out the two events together.

There's a "did you feel it" link in the second of those pages I linked. They use that information to learn more about quakes, and particularly their impact on people and structures, things that can't be measured with a seismograph. Might be worth taking a minute or two to fill that page out.

Haven't felt on myself (in the wrong geographic area for them) but I do remember we were living in Salt Lake City when the big earthquake that upset Old Faithful in Yellowstone hit in the early part of the 1980s. My sister and I were sitting at the dining room table doing our home work or maybe just coloring when the light over the table started to sway gently followed a few moments later by a bang when the kitchen counter separated from the wall by an eighth of an inch or so. Super strange at the time and it wasn't until the news later that night that we out the two events together.
Wow, what a story as well!

I'll take a look on USGS later, thanks!

When East Coasters (myself included) experience an earthquake:

1675687398666.gif

I have never really felt one either in NJ, people talked about feeling that Virginia one in 2011 but it went unnoticed to me.

Usually when NJ gets one every few years, it's the talk of the town. I never notice them. a little concerning, but they're all small ones so I tell myself it's okay
We've had a few over the years, small ones, like 3 or less. I've heard people say they've felt them and I was always jealous because I wanted to experience it for myself. There was no mistaking this one, not this time.

I'm sure Californians are laughing and waiting to story top lol

We were in Seattle for the 6.8 event in 2001. I was in a kitchen goods store, and couldn't understand why everyone was running for the doors. It felt to me like being on a NYC sidewalk above a subway vent when a train goes by...

The Virginia quake in 2011 was pretty noticeable in Alexandria, for sure. People who'd been through them before were crawling under their desks...

My brother lives in Buffalo and he said it sounded like something large fell in another room of his house at the time of the earthquake this mornjng

I have never really felt one either in NJ, people talked about feeling that Virginia one in 2011 but it went unnoticed to me.
Most here in northern Jersey felt a brief shudder, nothing much. I was working in Newark at the time and was on the 14th floor of a big office building. The whole building went for a ride for a few minutes, swayed enough that you could just notice something wasn't right, and enough that we could see the blinds on the windows moving / banging around.

My brother lives in Buffalo and he said it sounded like something large fell in another room of his house at the time of the earthquake this mornjng

Had the same experience back in 2011, it sounded like someone dropped a big air conditioning unit on the roof. Then the swaying started.

Absolutely nothing compared to what's coming out of Turkey this morning, just heartbreaking, especially the pre-dawn timing, so many people in their homes asleep.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom