Dramaha Book Cut Content (1 Viewer)

Jimulacrum

Full House
Reaction score
I wrote several paragraphs in my Dramaha book that I decided I'm not going to keep. I'm addressing this topic, but in a different way, so this part has to go. But I think y'all might appreciate it (especially @bergs), so I'm pasting it here before I delete it from my document.

Drawing Five

It may sound nutty, but if the game allows it, drawing five cards can actually be a smart play that may both get you future action (because you look like a degenerate gambler) and give you a real chance to win the pot.

Sometimes the flop just does not hit your hand, or hits it in a very weak way, and your draw hand is nothing to celebrate either—maybe a gutshot or a small pair that you took to the flop cheaply.

Then the action on the flop is piddling at best, if it doesn’t check around entirely. It isn’t even really worth drawing to a small pair if it’s multi-way or there are action players in the hand, and a gutshot is meh in the first place.

Drawing five in this spot gives you a new chance to smash the board. You’ll get a full slate of five hole cards, not to mention a shiny new turn card that may improve you in Omaha.

Here’s another crazy thing about drawing five: If your original five cards really whiffed the flop, that’s five fewer duds in the stub. The remaining cards in the deck are more likely to help you than cards off of a fresh deck.

The fact that your opponents checked or seemed weak makes drawing five more likely to hit the board too (unless discards need to be shuffled to complete your draw).

On top of that benefit, when you do hit, your opponents won’t believe it. You’ll look like a nut making this play. But it does have its merits in certain cases, and no one can deny that it’s fun to announce “I’ll take five!” while pitching your entire hand in the middle.

Naturally, this is not an advisable play very often. You should typically go into the draw round with enough strength in your hole cards that you want to keep at least two of them.

Drawing 5 is called “The Bergs Maneveur”. It’s high variance but when it connects you can win stacks.

FYI from Robert's Rules

1. A player may draw up to four consecutive cards. If a player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and the fifth card after everyone else has drawn cards. If the last player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and a card is burned before the player receives a fifth card. [See "Section 16 -- Explanations", discussion #9, for more information about this rule.]

FYI from Robert's Rules

1. A player may draw up to four consecutive cards. If a player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and the fifth card after everyone else has drawn cards. If the last player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and a card is burned before the player receives a fifth card. [See "Section 16 -- Explanations", discussion #9, for more information about this rule.]

This pertains to five card draw - I don’t know anyone that applies this rule to Circus Games. It would be a major pain in the ass without a dealer.

In Canada we learn at an early age that 4+1=5. I know your educational system is a lot weaker so if you need to use your toes to count that high go ahead. #noshame

In Canada we learn at an early age that 4+1=5. I know your educational system is a lot weaker so if you need to use your toes to count that high go ahead. #noshame

I don’t think it’s a counting problem. I think Canada makes things unnecessarily complex to the point where, from the casual observer’s perspective, it seems inane, silly, and largely uselessly stupid.

FYI from Robert's Rules

All I get is a 404 error.
upload_2017-11-12_11-10-26.png

http://www.gottatalkpoker.com/rrp/chapter16.shtml

At lowball and draw high, some rule sets allow a player to draw five consecutive cards. The rule used here disallowing this makes cheating more difficult. Our rule #10 in lowball and rule #5 in draw high says,

"A player may draw up to four consecutive cards. If a player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and the fifth card after everyone else has drawn cards. If the last player wishes to draw five new cards, four are dealt right away, and a card is burned before the player receives a fifth card."

He asked for the link. Learn to spell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom