Do you feel it's important to learn poker? (1 Viewer)

frondaro

Sitting Out
Reaction score
someone floated an interesting idea to me, that it was important to learn poker, i asked him why, and he said that poker provides a lot of benefits, training, life skills and life experience, i asked him what he meant and this is what he said

1: poker is a metaphor for life, in that it doesn't matter the cards you are dealt but how you play them, other guys might get better starting hands but those starting hands don't mean anything if you fold
2: you have to risk something to gain something in poker, just the same in life,

3: poker gives the opportunity to learn risk management, and how to consider carefully your risks and rewards.

4: poker gives the opportunity to know when your beat and when to walk away

5: poker gives the opportunity to know when your ahead and when to talk away

6: poker gives access to an underground unregulated undocumented and untaxed economy,

7: poker provides a group puzzle for people to work and solve both together and on their own

8: poker provides a social bonding exercise

9: poker provides a fun time to spend with family and friends

10: poker can teach a form of confidence when you push through and win

11: poker can teach people to lie when they bluff

12: poker can teach people to detect lies when detecting bluffs

that was all that i could remember about what he said, what do you guys think?

someone floated an interesting idea to me, that it was important to learn poker, i asked him why, and he said that poker provides a lot of benefits, training, life skills and life experience, i asked him what he meant and this is what he said

1: poker is a metaphor for life, in that it doesn't matter the cards you are dealt but how you play them, other guys might get better starting hands but those starting hands don't mean anything if you fold
2: you have to risk something to gain something in poker, just the same in life,

3: poker gives the opportunity to learn risk management, and how to consider carefully your risks and rewards.

6: poker gives access to an underground unregulated undocumented and untaxed economy,

7: poker provides a group puzzle for people to work and solve both together and on their own

I don't think anyone floated this, I think this is just something you made up and want our opinions on. You can be honest with us.

I don't think learning poker is important. I think its important to enjoy hobbies and develop social skills, sure.

Those that don't want to spend a lot of time learning poker are always welcome at my home game.

I think the worst thing someone can do is learn poker.

"Let's go learn a solved game - from all the same sources as everyone else - so that both our journey and destination are the same" - puke.

Add in the surroundings - financial aspect, degens, applying the "look for razor sharp edges" elsewhere in life, etc. = one big deterrence.

Looking to learn a life skill, have a networking capability, sharpen the mind and apply critical thought and game theory - learn how to play golf, learn a language, play varying board games, etc. etc.

In my short experience in poker, those that have the worst time playing at the table are those that know the most. I would not suggest to anyone today that hasn't already learned poker to make the decision to research and learn about poker to an extreme degree. I just don't see the payout for the time and effort involved.

This obviously doesn't apply to 99.9% of people here as it's a part of your life, social construct/support, hobby, and studying/learning is part of the overarching endeavor.

I think the worst thing someone can do is learn poker.

"Let's go learn a solved game - from all the same sources as everyone else - so that both our journey and destination are the same" - puke.

Add in the surroundings - financial aspect, degens, applying the "look for razor sharp edges" elsewhere in life, etc. = one big deterrence.

Looking to learn a life skill, have a networking capability, sharpen the mind and apply critical thought and game theory - learn how to play golf, learn a language, play varying board games, etc. etc.

In my short experience in poker, those that have the worst time playing at the table are those that know the most. I would not suggest to anyone today that hasn't already learned poker to make the decision to research and learn about poker to an extreme degree. I just don't see the payout for the time and effort involved.
Barrie at the poker table:

1674844443450.gif

i understand where it's from i don't understand what it means
The Rake is the % off the top you hand over every hand just to play.

For men, women are the Rake of life. There saying women are gonna get theirs first, off the top, without really having to do anything.

A woman costs money and is just the nature of the beast. I do think this is a bit sexist

The Rake is the % off the top you hand over every hand just to play.

For men, women are the Rake of life. There saying women are gonna get theirs first, off the top, without really having to do anything.

A woman costs money and is just the nature of the beast. I do think this is a bit sexist
i don't understand what you mean by this

Barrie at the poker table:

View attachment 1067616
Eh. Up or down I'm usually having the most fun at the table, which for me is the goal. Plus I don't hold 'em, if I had to guess I'm probably lifetime up in non hold em poker.

All that being said..........it's on the way!

1674845064009.png

Anecdotal evidence that recreational weed is legal in the state of Washington.

So your original post is a weird made up story you took some comments from Reddit, not a conversation? "I asked him what he meant" or, "thats all I can remember"? This is just odd, there's no remembering you linked a post!
yes, i asked many people, i just framed it like i was speaking to 1 person and not dozens for the sake of getting the point across simply and quickly

Based on every post by this new member, I have come to the conclusion that this is some fancy AI bot.
ok, if i am an AI bot, wouldn't i have better grammer? and what would be the purpose of my questioning?

ok, if i am an AI bot, wouldn't i have better grammer? and what would be the purpose of my questioning?
I don't understand the purpose of any of your posts/questions. But I hope that you can find the answers here.

Poker is an unfair game, on the short / medium run (meaning that you can still loose, even if you play optimally). And not everybody can afford, time-wise or money-wise, to wait for the long run.
Life is inherently unfair, even on the long run.

Poker is a school of unfairness, that is a school for life.
Especially for people obsessed with fairness, like me.
Of course, justice-hooked people are at a disadvantage in the game of poker, but playing poker can make them more functional in fuckin life.

Edit: A deck of cards is second only to life when it comes to how unfair slaps on the face it can give you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom