Cycling (1 Viewer)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Any folks here into cycling? I used to ride road bikes and had a few customs built in the past. Dropped 35 pounds and itching to ride the mountains again.

Now resurrecting and old build project with Dave Bohm from 15 years ago. He is probably one of the top 5 steel frame builders on the planet, Bohemian Bikes. Will be a “traditional” lugged frame…but in stainless steel. I have maybe 50 hours of polishing ahead of me this week. Dave is the artist. I’m just the shop grunt. He is where we are at now. Rear drops 3D printed in steel. Other tubes hand cut and ready for me to work on.
IMG_5376.jpeg
IMG_5377.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg
IMG_5379.jpeg
IMG_5378.jpeg
IMG_5381.jpeg
IMG_5382.jpeg
IMG_5383.jpeg

Never got into custom bikes, but I used to ride a lot -- about 200-300 miles/week when I lived in NJ. Helped found the Princeton Free Wheelers and run their annual event several times. Did High Point to Cape May in NJ, the Mount Mitchell event in NC, the Hotter than Hell Hundred in TX, and Ride the Rockies a number of times.

Guess I gave up on steel bikes when the Trek 1500 aluminum frame came out. (Always wanted a Colnago, but they didn't make a frame big enough...)

Sure do miss it, but old age, plus riding here in FL is gambling with your life, what with all the incompetent drivers. The local riding club has a great name though: The Village Idiots. :cool

I know some Italian nosebleed stuff that goes great with that steel....just saying :)

And i'm all MTB...no roads ;)

Got to love Teal with an all mango Chris King set-up on Enve 70/30 rims (frame = SC Nomad cc)

1692039838477.jpeg

My corona project...built from scratch.... (Spez Stumpjumper FSR)
1692039850910.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have a couple custom road bikes built in mid 2000s. Both by Bre Ruegamer who created Ruesports many years ago. She is now a bike shop mechanic in Portland or Washington. Unbelievably gifted frame builder. It’s a dying art.

Back then Record 10 was the sh!t. This bike will be Super Record 12 mechanical. No interest in electronic shifting

I do have a couple custom road bikes built in mid 2000s. Both by Bre Ruegamer who created Ruesports many years ago. She is now a bike shop mechanic in Portland or Washington. Unbelievably gifted frame builder. It’s a dying art.

Back then Record 10 was the sh!t. This bike will be Super Record 12 mechanical. No interest in electronic shifting
1692045374100.jpeg

Check if you can find red Campagnolo LB-300 mineral oil stateside...

I know some Italian nosebleed stuff that goes great with that steel....just saying :)

And i'm all MTB...no roads ;)

Got to love Teal with an all mango Chris King set-up on Enve 70/30 rims (frame = SC Nomad cc)

View attachment 1179780

My corona project...built from scratch.... (Spez Stumpjumper FSR)
View attachment 1179781
Gotta get mango King cups to get full credit!! Maybe some Hope mango calipers/levers for extra credit? (Nice rig. I had a Santa Cruz Heckler back in the day)

Finished with sanding for pre brazing. Only 2 hours mostly by hand. Only 80 grit for now. Will go for the real polishing after all torch work is complete. Now on to rears.

IMG_5386.jpeg

holy shit that's gonna be stunning
It’s going to take some time. We have everything prepped except for this. I’m maybe 75% done polishing. This piece is a mutha.
IMG_5397.jpeg

After tomorrow, won’t be much progress until I come back to Tucson.

It’s going to take some time. We have everything prepped except for this. I’m maybe 75% done polishing. This piece is a mutha.
View attachment 1180942

After tomorrow, won’t be much progress until I come back to Tucson.
Wow!
I guess I'm not too familiar with stainless - does this get a powder coat after its built, or some kind of clearcoat, or is it just polished and done?

Wow!
I guess I'm not too familiar with stainless - does this get a powder coat after its built, or some kind of clearcoat, or is it just polished and done?
The tubes will mostly get painted but some bare metal on the rear. Only clear and that is a slippery slope. It needs to be polished and also rough enough to bond.

Probably a turquoise Pearl paint color, powder coat is too thick plus we might inlay some of the lug holes with something, maybe abalone shell or mother of pearl like he did once before
IMG_5398.jpeg

Made some headway on a Bohemian head badge. He has a great standard design for stickers but not on this bike. We’ll make it out of silver
IMG_5923.jpeg
IMG_6127.jpeg

Once this step is finished, we will roll the silver to match the head tube then braze it on. I’m hoping we can use abalone and mother of pearl to make the inlay. It’s a lot of work and that part must be done by Dave Bohm. You can see what he is capable of in the previous post regarding inlaid stone into metal. He’s not only one of the best steel frame builders on the planet, he also has jewelry skills.

IMG_5924.jpeg

I’m hoping we can get this all together by May. He knows I want to ride it at the Triple Bypass in summer. Still need wheels. Can’t decide. @Thomacetti brought me full Campagnolo Super Record Disc group. He was shaken down by customs but successfully massaged his way through and the duties paid still resulted in a major cost savings. I still don’t know what this will cost. We don’t talk much about it :rolleyes:

love biking
had to wait three months for the biggest produced by Author
but it was worth it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom