Cutting neoprene (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I have a beautiful piece of neoprene for my game table. 5mm thick, black nylon one side, forest green nylon the other. The only problem is it came 80x50 inches and I need to trim it to size. Anybody have something better to use than kitchen shears? Because that’s all I’ve been able to get to work at all.

Fiskars tailor shears - get it at a good fabric or craft store

Those things are heavy, no joke, and cut through tough materials

Maybe a new blade on a box cutter?
That's what I've used in the past; slow, and with a ton of pressure (having a flat hard steel or stone surface underneath helps).

Cleanup with sharp heavy-duty scissors (which typically won't make perfectly vertical cuts if used solo).

It’s going to look great when it gets cut properly.
518D4EB3-9BF9-4A53-8147-EDC874936FF6.jpeg

hookloopoutlet.com
neoprene sheets
nylon/nylon
5.0mm
About $100 shipped for a 50"x80"

It's a little more expensive than foam plus speed cloth plus adhesive, but not by a whole lot, and I prefer the nylon surface.

neoprene easier to clean that fabric as well, I suppose.

Kinda. It does clean up really well. But it can also dry out and crack, so you need to take care.

There are shampoos available for wet suits. You will want to pick that up. Then you need to air dry, and preferably out of sunlight. Again if you look up guides to cleaning wet suits, you will get the idea.

My drinking poker crew has spilled wine on my neoprene table cover more than once and the shampoo has gotten it out every time.

The neoprene is not the surface, the neoprene is the rubbery inner material. The surface of mine is nylon, which is typical mousepad stuff, but there are other options.

electric meat knife, foam saw or hot wire cutter...

Watch out, cutting goes fast.

Electric carving knife is defo the way to go just get a cheap one itll do the job great!

I beg your pardon i read your description wrong initially. What i do with neoprene is use a scalpel blade. Very sharp blade and does the trick well. I spray glue the sheet down put the rail on top fasten it using the connector bolts then run the blade around the inside of the rail in one big motion. Take off the rail and peel away the excess foam. Makes your play surface perfect.

I grabbed a roll mid-May and it arrived today. Really nice, lays down flat. I’m covering the dining room table until I can figure out a permanent solution. It’s really slippery on the smooth wood- I’m going to see how I can fasten it before cutting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom