CUSTOM INNER RING POLL - Injection Molded Chips GB - 2021 (1 Viewer)

Do we get a custom inner ring?

• Yes - cash and tourney chips will be 39mm - the cost will be spread equally across all chips ordered

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • No - chips will be plain with no inner ring - cash set all 39mm - tourney set all 43mm or 45mm

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
So there is a bit of a dilemma. The cash set is looking to be all 39mm. If we do an all 43mm or 45mm tourney, the cash and tourney sets cannot share one custom inner ring on different size chips. Getting two custom inner rings is too expensive, so I'm not even considering that as an option. Abbiatti doesn't have the denoms we would need to use their stock value inner rings for both sets either. Also, the stock inner rings are not free to use. They add a few cents per chip, as does a custom inner ring.

Obviously, there is a one-time tooling cost for a custom inner ring. Being able to use it on both the cash and tourney sets as we did with The Crown Plaza GB will allow its one-time cost to be spread across the entire order and make it much more affordable. For example, if it cost $3700 on a 30,000 chip order, it adds 12 cents per chip.

The Crown Plaza chips (26,200 chips) ended up being $2.20 ea shipped from Italy and delivered to me. That included the customs broker I had to hire, the MPF (merchandise processing fee) to import them, and the wire fees. It is worth noting that I covered most of the artwork costs out of my own pocket. That lowered the chip cost by about 4 cents per chip. I'm not going to be able to do it this time around unless I hit the lotto. :cool If I do, I'll just pay for the entire order. :)

So getting back to the issue, I think getting a custom inner ring is worth it and takes the chips to the next level but, the only way to do that is to have both the cash and tourney sets all 39mm.

The other option is plain/no ring on both sets. The cash set will be all 39mm and the tourney set will be either all 43mm or all 45mm.

Examples of chips with and without inners rings can be found here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...injection-molded-chips-2020.48959/post-916127
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...injection-molded-chips-2020.48959/post-915219

Last edited:
So just an inner ring on the 39mm cash chips but plain 45mm tourney chips wouldn’t be an option? Not enough volume to amortize the cost across ~half the order?

I think people are prepared to pay for high-quality chips and to get the size they want and are prepared to pay for that privilege. Let 39mm cash and 43mm tourney be an option. Explain the costs. If they want it then people have to pay. Alternatively we can have a 43mm cash and Tourney set. :eek:

Alternatively we can have a 43mm cash and Tourney set. :eek:

There are only 2 molds available for 3 color chips in 43mm. That's not going to work for a cash set.

IMG_20191107_005518.jpg

So just an inner ring on the 39mm cash chips but plain 45mm tourney chips wouldn’t be an option? Not enough volume to amortize the cost across ~half the order?

That is always a possibility too. If we do similar numbers as the last GB, the 39mm could be pushing $2.55 per chip, maybe more. It all depends on the QTY.

That is always a possibility too. If we do similar numbers as the last GB, the 39mm could be pushing $2.55 per chip, maybe more. It all depends on the QTY.
Hopefully, this is achievable with all the "HYPE" surrounding this GB. Would be great if we could get 43/45mm tourney set with custom ring that can be either relabeled as a high denom cash set or if numbers permit have the option to choose between the two sizes for the cash set as the custom ring option will already be in existance. Time will tell if people are going to put their money where their mouth is. Myself included. :x

I'm not voting because Im not passionate either way. But I'm eager to see what is designed and may join the buy if I like the design. A lot of these sets have been gorgeous although the sets last year did not quite strike my fancy enough to pull the trigger.

I'm not committed to joining yet so won't be voting, but I will say the thing that burns me about Crown Plaza is it can pretty much never be relabeled because of the inner ring.

And it is precisely because of the inner ring that I think the Crown Plaza chips are so incredibly awesome. Without the inner ring....they're just high quality plastic chips. With inner ring, pure awesome!

@Tommy Can you provide pictures of the inner ring and non-inner ring chips in the OP? Seeing the difference might help some folks.

I voted no inner ring, but that vote is loose. I don’t feel especially strong about it. The only reason I did so is because I think it would be neat to see what the relabelers come up with, or at least give them an option that doesn’t lock them into a name. And it seems a shame to miss out on an opportunity to bring a truckload of high quality 43mm chips to the masses.

I find it peculiar that Abbiati wouldn’t have cash denom inner rings that would work for us, but *shrug*.

Okay, despite owning a set of the Crown Plazas (still NIB!), I guess I don’t know what the inner ring portion is. For instance, on the crown plaza tourney chips, is the inner ring the portion that says “the crown plaza card room”?

Yeah, isn’t it any text (words or numbers) on the non-inlay portion of the chip face?

I'm not committed to joining yet so won't be voting, but I will say the thing that burns me about Crown Plaza is it can pretty much never be relabeled because of the inner ring.

What do you mean by "never be relabeled"? I custom relabeled over 800 Crown Plaza chips to different cash and tourney denoms for other members.

Okay, despite owning a set of the Crown Plazas (still NIB!), I guess I don’t know what the inner ring portion is. For instance, on the crown plaza tourney chips, is the inner ring the portion that says “the crown plaza card room”?

Yeah and the crowns too. It can consist of letters, numbers, lines, dots, stars, arrows, just about any shape or symbol.

Lol this group buy is looking pretty much identical to the last Abbiati GB i.e. cali set, custom inner ring, all chips same size, and worst of all no holographic foil :cry: change is good people!

I hear ya, this is exactly what bugs me about most BG sets that are available. However with Abbiati you could do a very small GB for relabeling purposes by using their quick delivery chips for fracs and high denoms, so you’d need to meet their MOQ of 1000 for only the chips that would be used as $1’s and $5’s. Three people getting together should cover it, and all they’d need to agree upon are the $1 and $5 chips, then pick their own favorites from the quick delivery line.

Edit: A tourney set done this way would require maybe double the participants (for example custom 25, 100 and 1000, quick delivery 500 and 5000).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom