Covid plan - need help with online home game setup (2 Viewers)

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
Hey folks. Trying to not let this thing get me down and rally my friends for some online home games.

A question about PokerStars and setting up a home game, specifically CASH. Do you know if the platform takes a rake when using play money for a cash game?

I have a 9 player, 1.5 hour, 3min blind, 10k chips tourney setup for the first game.

After that, I would like to create a cash game for those that bust out.

I could chose the 50/100 table with 100BB max buy in that the system offers by default (and say everyone throws in $10 buyin).

BUT, how would I cash someone out halfway though evening, and how do we cash everyone out at end?

If there is a rake, then the end # of chips won’t total 90k. I guess if everyone agrees to stay till end they we could cash out each player accordingly (i.e each player’s chips / (90k-rake) x the pot of $90.

But how do you deal with someone cashing out early? It would be tedious to take a screen shot, add up all the chips at that time, and divide the exiting players chips by the chips on the table, and apply that to the $90 pot. Something also tells me that player would have either a disadvantage or advantage over the other players cashing out later (can’t see the math in my head, but my gut tells me it won’t be even).

Also, we could say 1 buy in only to keep it simple, but what if someone rebuys by accident and messes up the number of chips?

So how do I deal with this. Thanks everyone. Stay safe. This thing is getting out of hand (RIP Italy).

Hey folks. Trying to not let this thing get me down and rally my friends for some online home games.

A question about PokerStars and setting up a home game, specifically CASH. Do you know if the platform takes a rake when using play money for a cash game?

I have a 9 player, 1.5 hour, 3min blind, 10k chips tourney setup for the first game.

After that, I would like to create a cash game for those that bust out.

I could chose the 50/100 table with 100BB max buy in that the system offers by default (and say everyone throws in $10 buyin).

BUT, how would I cash someone out halfway though evening, and how do we cash everyone out at end?

If there is a rake, then the end # of chips won’t total 90k. I guess if everyone agrees to stay till end they we could cash out each player accordingly (i.e each player’s chips / (90k-rake) x the pot of $90.

But how do you deal with someone cashing out early? It would be tedious to take a screen shot, add up all the chips at that time, and divide the exiting players chips by the chips on the table, and apply that to the $90 pot. Something also tells me that player would have either a disadvantage or advantage over the other players cashing out later (can’t see the math in my head, but my gut tells me it won’t be even).

Also, we could say 1 buy in only to keep it simple, but what if someone rebuys by accident and messes up the number of chips?

So how do I deal with this. Thanks everyone. Stay safe. This thing is getting out of hand (RIP Italy).
PokerStars does take a rake for cash games.

You've identified all the problems. Solution is to play a tournament.

Playing two tournaments simultaneously is the key to keeping everyone engaged for a longer time period.

Except for the really bad player(s) who bust out early in both. If you have some of those, add re-buys to give them extra chances before being eliminated. But mostly they just need to get better.

Playing two tournaments simultaneously is the key to keeping everyone engaged for a longer time period.

Except for the really bad player(s) who bust out early in both. If you have some of those, add re-buys to give them extra chances before being eliminated. But mostly they just need to get better.
I've got my first online game for my league tomorrow night. I have ~18-20 players schedules to play.

I am using Pokerstars Home Games to run the game and using discord for voice chat (setting up a chat room for each table).

I am glad to hear running two games simultaneously is good because I have 2 games scheduled (and I'm playing both PCF games, which I am excited for).

I have setup each game for 10 minute blinds and T10k starting stack.

I estimate the game to run approx 4 hours and 50 minutes based on blinds/break structure. Does that seem correct based on your experience?

Thanks
Grant

I've got my first online game for my league tomorrow night. I have ~18-20 players schedules to play.

I am using Pokerstars Home Games to run the game and using discord for voice chat (setting up a chat room for each table).

I am glad to hear running two games simultaneously is good because I have 2 games scheduled (and I'm playing both PCF games, which I am excited for).

I have setup each game for 10 minute blinds and T10k starting stack.

I estimate the game to run approx 4 hours and 50 minutes based on blinds/break structure. Does that seem correct based on your experience?

20 players with 10k stacks and 10-minute levels won't run that long. We've had up to 32 players with 20k stacks and 5-minute levels run only 3+ hours.

The monthly tournament has 10-minute levels with 10k stacks plus two 10k re-buys, and has averaged 16 players running 3:40 on average.

Online games run much faster than live games. Yours will likely finish in under 4 hours unless they really nit it up at the end, or you get a bunch of early knockouts (creating really large stacks).

Bump the stacks up to 20k (10-minute levels) if you want it to run longer -- that should be close to 4.5 hours with your field size, plus the 20k stacks really feel a lot deeper and allow a lot of play. 10k stacks can quickly go *poof*.

20 players with 10k stacks and 10-minute levels won't run that long. We've had up to 32 players with 20k stacks and 5-minute levels run only 3+ hours.

The monthly tournament has 10-minute levels with 10k stacks plus two 10k re-buys, and has averaged 16 players running 3:40 on average.

Online games run much faster than live games. Yours will likely finish in under 4 hours unless they really nit it up at the end, or you get a bunch of early knockouts (creating really large stacks).

Bump the stacks up to 20k (10-minute levels) if you want it to run longer -- that should be close to 4.5 hours with your field size, plus the 20k stacks really feel a lot deeper and allow a lot of play. 10k stacks can quickly go *poof*.
Thank you for this! I have updated the chip stacks accordingly.

PokerStars does take a rake for cash games.
And it's highway robbery. My Thursday Night Elks Lodge crew tried a cash game on Poker Stars. 10,000 chips = $100. They had $3,000 in buy ins and the rake was $1,280. They ended up dividing the rake among the losers after keeping a portion for supporting the currently unemployed bartenders. I doubt we will host a second game on there.

And it's highway robbery. My Thursday Night Elks Lodge crew tried a cash game on Poker Stars. 10,000 chips = $100. They had $3,000 in buy ins and the rake was $1,280. They ended up dividing the rake among the losers after keeping a portion for supporting the currently unemployed bartenders. I doubt we will host a second game on there.
I almost learned the hard way. We got two hands in and I cut out and we switched to a tourney for interested players.

Game was a big success folks. I highly recommend people try it if they are locked down and have an itch for some cards.

The 3min blinds, 10k starting stacks for 9 people that ran ~1h 20min was by far the most popular. Playing back to back tourneys is the way to go. You can overlap them and run two screens for the guys that busted out.

Game was a big success folks. I highly recommend people try it if they are locked down and have an itch for some cards.

The 3min blinds, 10k starting stacks for 9 people that ran ~1h 20min was by far the most popular. Playing back to back tourneys is the way to go. You can overlap them and run two screens for the guys that busted out.

Probably asking a lot of the software, but is it possible to host multi table tournaments?

Probably asking a lot of the software, but is it possible to host multi table tournaments?
Not sure exactly what you're asking. Some PCF events have had 30+ registered players, so four tables (9 players/table max). Software supports anywhere from 2-2000 players.

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Some PCF events have had 30+ registered players, so four tables (9 players/table max). Software supports anywhere from 2-2000 players.

Sorry, wasn’t clear. I realize now he’s talking about P*s. Got mixed up because there’s too many repeats of these same threads.

I was curious about Pokerrrr 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom