Tourney College Game, story time (1 Viewer)

SnowManStan

Sitting Out
Reaction score
In my last year in college, I hosted a few poker games at my apartment. One of my roommates wanted to through a party while I had a poker game. So we let it happen and let people from the party in the game. I designed the structure to let anyone want to play jump in if someone got knocked out for the first hour.

I made it an 8 player max because of the table I was using and our space. But if one person got out, someone else could buy-in, or they could rebuy. I decided to make it only a $2 buy-in with a tiny starting stack to attract people who knew the game but didn't want them to be turned away because it is too much money. I knew this could build the pot. The pot ended up getting to or $60. I ended up paying two spots. Some people rebought a lot. The person that rebought the most ended up making it in second. He was so hammered from being at the party he doesn't remember coming in second.

I have now gone away from $2 games since I no longer host games while a college party is taking place.

That is pretty crazy. I do not miss hosting college poker nights. We got a game together one night just for people from work. I made the mistake of allowing someone to bring one of their buddies that was a "poker" player. So the night was going along pretty well. Everyone was having fun, and drinks were flowing. No mind you, this was in the days before Hold'Em was all the rage. So we were playing old school dealer's choice, real cash game, no chips, so mostly nickle/dime/quarter. About 3 hours into the night we are playing a game of 7-card stud and I end up with A's full of 7s. I can tell it is the nuts hand based on the up cards, so I bet accordingly for a friendly game, tossing $1 into the pot. Get a couple of calls that I figure are 2-pair, and a 3 of a kind. And then we get to the "poker" player, he raises, $5. So I look back over his and there is no way he has a better hand, and I have enough showing to discourage a bluff. So I decide to see how much of a "poker" player he is, so I re-raise $5. He then reaches in his pocket and pulls out a $20 and raises $20. So now I am really confused, did I somehow miss a straight-flush, or could he possibly have 4-of-a-kind? I read the table again and decide there is no way he has better than a flush. So I make the call. He flips over a flush and says "read 'em and weep", and reaches for the pot. Of course I say "not so fast" and turn the full house. He laughs and says "you were betting all that on a pair and 3-of-a-kind? My flush beats that all day." and once again he reaches for the pot. Of course, my response to the "poker" player is "no, I was betting on the full house, that beats a flush every day and twice on Sunday." He proceeds to start cussing me out saying that the flush is the best hand and that he won. He started trying to pick a fight and cussing at me and everyone else that was saying, yeah, the full house wins. Finally the co-worker that brought him gets a hold of him and drags him out saying how sorry he is, that he had never played poker with him before, just that he had told him he was a great poker player.

Learned my lesson about vetting who came into my place for a game, and learned to have house rules printed and ready to go if needed. Needless to say, college was fun, college poker could be fun....but I don't miss the craziness.

That is pretty crazy. I do not miss hosting college poker nights. We got a game together one night just for people from work. I made the mistake of allowing someone to bring one of their buddies that was a "poker" player. So the night was going along pretty well. Everyone was having fun, and drinks were flowing. No mind you, this was in the days before Hold'Em was all the rage. So we were playing old school dealer's choice, real cash game, no chips, so mostly nickle/dime/quarter. About 3 hours into the night we are playing a game of 7-card stud and I end up with A's full of 7s. I can tell it is the nuts hand based on the up cards, so I bet accordingly for a friendly game, tossing $1 into the pot. Get a couple of calls that I figure are 2-pair, and a 3 of a kind. And then we get to the "poker" player, he raises, $5. So I look back over his and there is no way he has a better hand, and I have enough showing to discourage a bluff. So I decide to see how much of a "poker" player he is, so I re-raise $5. He then reaches in his pocket and pulls out a $20 and raises $20. So now I am really confused, did I somehow miss a straight-flush, or could he possibly have 4-of-a-kind? I read the table again and decide there is no way he has better than a flush. So I make the call. He flips over a flush and says "read 'em and weep", and reaches for the pot. Of course I say "not so fast" and turn the full house. He laughs and says "you were betting all that on a pair and 3-of-a-kind? My flush beats that all day." and once again he reaches for the pot. Of course, my response to the "poker" player is "no, I was betting on the full house, that beats a flush every day and twice on Sunday." He proceeds to start cussing me out saying that the flush is the best hand and that he won. He started trying to pick a fight and cussing at me and everyone else that was saying, yeah, the full house wins. Finally the co-worker that brought him gets a hold of him and drags him out saying how sorry he is, that he had never played poker with him before, just that he had told him he was a great poker player.

Learned my lesson about vetting who came into my place for a game, and learned to have house rules printed and ready to go if needed. Needless to say, college was fun, college poker could be fun....but I don't miss the craziness.
Wow what a great poker player he was :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: this reninds me of one of my alltime favorite nlhe games i played in. I was holding Ace high, on a board with two pairs. The other player had a lower pair than both of the pairs on the board. We get to the showdown and he turns over his baby pair and yells: three pairs!
Then i told him that his pair wouldnt count, and i win with my ace high and the pairs on the board. Everyone else on the table explained it to him, best 5 cards win. I scooped the pot but he still didnt agreee. This became a running gag, everytime there are two pairs on the board we will be like: watch out for three pairs..

In my last year in college, I hosted a few poker games at my apartment. One of my roommates wanted to through a party while I had a poker game. So we let it happen and let people from the party in the game. I designed the structure to let anyone want to play jump in if someone got knocked out for the first hour.

I made it an 8 player max because of the table I was using and our space. But if one person got out, someone else could buy-in, or they could rebuy. I decided to make it only a $2 buy-in with a tiny starting stack to attract people who knew the game but didn't want them to be turned away because it is too much money. I knew this could build the pot. The pot ended up getting to or $60. I ended up paying two spots. Some people rebought a lot. The person that rebought the most ended up making it in second. He was so hammered from being at the party he doesn't remember coming in second.

I have now gone away from $2 games since I no longer host games while a college party is taking place.
This sounds pretty chaotic. I'm hoping in college to get a stable group of guys together to be able to play without the distractions of a party. It is a good idea for a fun intro night maybe the first week I move into the dorm to host a little pickup sit and go game if you will.

At least everyone else had your back. I was at a game a couple of years ago where I had to pull up a hand ranking chart to show that 3 of a kind was better than 2 pair. 7/8 guys didn't believe me, and most were skeptical even after I showed them proof. Needless to say I didn't go back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom