CNC Milling Jig (2 Viewers)

finishyourdinner

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 1000 chip IG set used for craps/blackjack but we play the value as 1/25 of the face. I'm entertaining the idea of adding fracs, likely $0.04 and $0.20 (weird but makes dealing easy), with a relabel on some yet to be determined bases.

I already built a v1e lowrider for some other projects that I'd like to experiment with for milling chips. My plan is to use 2 pieces of MDF with chip sized recesses to sandwich clamp a barrel or so at once, with inlay sized holes in the top to access the label. I can't find much on what others have done with their mills so I'm looking for some feedback on how to proceed.

If IG stands for Indiana Grand, then that's RHC Chips. These already have a decent recess and i don't think milling RHC to remove the inlays will lead to a favorable result.

You could either overlabel your designated fracs, which works pretty well for good to excellent RHCs or go all the way and remove the inlays to apply your own ones. But i really wouldn't try to mill those.

Hmmm I was unaware that RHCs could be straight overlabeled. Regardless, I went ahead and tested on some spares with decent results.

I originally had a 2 part clamping jig with pins for alignment. However, while getting the size right for the chip I realized a press fit was sufficient.
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 12.37.24 PM.png

IMG_0012.png

From left to right: unmilled, -0.2mm, and -0.3mm (referenced from the label itself not the edge of the chip)
IMG_0011.png

I was just testing different milling depths and the 0.2mm attempt pretty much just picked out the label cover. You can see just a little scratching on the cover but it came out almost perfect. Might be a good candidate for a heavier label? The 0.3mm grabbed the rest of the paper and looks very nice. The accuracy of this thing still blows me away, especially when there's little to no bit deflection from milling a chip lol.

You should really overlabel the RHCs and mill my chips instead with that machine :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, this is a tremendous setup... Not sure if i would use it for label removal of RHC though, but i feel like you could easily enter the sacred realm of making shaped labels for hotstamped chips.

Genuinely curious, why you wouldn't use it to remove RHC inlays? It beats pulling it by hand, I guess if you want to preserve the few mms of space between the label and recess, but I don't consider that important.

Not sure I want to barge on over into @Gear space with shaped inlays...

Genuinely curious, why you wouldn't use it to remove RHC inlays? It beats pulling it by hand, I guess if you want to preserve the few mms of space between the label and recess, but I don't consider that important.

Not sure I want to barge on over into @Gear space with shaped inlays...
I was thinking of other chip stuff one could do with that instead, not trying to imply that your setup was a bad fit.

I think is actually pretty awesome, especially if you mill that shallow in the entire recess. Otherwise you would most likely find out, that not all Inlays are perfectly centered on chips.

To a lesser extent this is still true to molds, although the differences are much much smaller normally. That could actually be a problem or maybe rather a smaller and rare inconvenience.

Would love to see the results!

I was thinking of other chip stuff one could do with that instead, not trying to imply that your setup was a bad fit.

I think is actually pretty awesome, especially if you mill that shallow in the entire recess. Otherwise you would most likely find out, that not all Inlays are perfectly centered on chips.

To a lesser extent this is still true to molds, although the differences are much much smaller normally. That could actually be a problem or maybe rather a smaller and rare inconvenience.

Would love to see the results!
Ahhh, I figured that it had to do with the recess. Yeah it's rare I see a label close to being centered, makes me think they just throw it in by hand.

I'll have to do some more experimenting. My spoilboard still isn't surfaced and I need to finish up a few other things with the machine before doing anything more serious with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom