Tourney Chopping the prize pool. (1 Viewer)

In theory, ICM chops should yield you roughly the same amount of $$$ long-term as playing it out would... But with less variance and less of a time-commitment.

It’s immediate insurance against end-of-game runbad when your sample size is small. I mean, who among us really can say that we final table tournaments so often that we are certain to realize our true equity over a 1-2 year period?

Unless you truly believe you have some massive edge against the remaining 1-8 people, I think at least discussing a chop is always the way to go. Even a massive edge can run into some ugly variance.

So: I don’t necessarily buy that chops automatically reflect some flaw in the tournament structure, payouts, player pool, etc. Sure, some of those factors may contribute to chopping/not chopping. But I still think as a general rule one should at least discuss options, almost regardless of the dynamic.

Another issue is stack sizes: If you get down to say 3-5 players all with roughly equal stacks, and none of these is an obvious fish who only got there by running like a god who will not be able to adjust to shorthanded/shortstacked play, and you’re not looking to get points or Hendon Mob cred, why not chop?

The only other reason I would have not to would be just for fun/experience, if the money were not important.

I wish I could help, but two years into my monthly league I have never had a chop. My blinds ramp up probably more aggressively than most. 2-3 table tourneys are usually finished in 4-4.5 hours. Also, there is usually a good amount of alcohol flowing, so that probably help grease the tracks towards the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom