Tourney Chopped pot ? (1 Viewer)

tooth_doc

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
Had a tourney Thanksgiving nite. Had a chopped pot with an odd chip. Let's say the pot was 13k. 1K is the smallest chip on the table. So, each player gets 6k. Who gets the remaining 1k chip?

I’ve played in a few games handling this in many different ways. some have been sillier than others, but here’s a few different ways I’ve seen:
  • Player closest to button
  • Player with fewer chips
  • Chip goes into pot for next hand
  • flip next card off top of deck to players, highest wins

What they all said - I remember it better as whomever was in the worst position in the hand...

But @NotRealNameNoSir
You reminded me of one of my favorite memes...thanks for the laugh!
1700934756145.png

What they all said - I remember it better as whomever was in the worst position in the hand...

But @NotRealNameNoSir
You reminded me of one of my favorite memes...thanks for the laugh!
View attachment 1230059
I love this shirt! I have to get this for my apes, wow, appreciated. Biggest suckout of the night at my charity game will get this shirt.

In a Hi-Lo game, it goes to the high hand.
I know this is the rule, which I follow, but if there’s a quartered low and the odd chip would allow an even split of the low, can you use it for the chop instead of giving it to the high?

For example, say the pot was $27, so $13 to high, $13 to low, and the extra $1 to high. But there’s two people chopping the low, which would be $6 and $6 with $1 left over.

Interested in what the “proper” rule is (if there is one, or if it’s completely house-dependent) and what people at home games do on a practical level.

I’ve seen the high end up with both “odd” chips; I’ve seen the odd low chip be awarded by (worst) position between the two lows, and I’ve seen (and done) the odd high chip be used to create an even low split.

I know this is the rule, which I follow, but if there’s a quartered low and the odd chip would allow an even split of the low, can you use it for the chop instead of giving it to the high?
If I'm chopping the pot, the odd high chip is used to create an even low split.

In a ½-¼-¼ pot, I'll generally chop the pot in half. If there's an odd chip, I'll hold it and if the remaining pot quarters evenly, I'll award the odd chip to the high, then quarter the low. But if quartering the low results in an odd chip, I'll use the extra from the high to make the low quarter even.

Pot is 29.

Half to the high is 14 (plus an extra chip)
Quarter the low is 7 chips each. I give the extra chip to the high.

So I'll award 15 to the high and 7 to each half of the low.

-=-=-=-

Pot is 27.

Half to the high =13 (plus an odd chip)
1/4 to the low is 6 each with an odd chip
I'll award 13 to the high and 7 to each half of the low.

I let all players getting a piece of the pot know and make sure they are okay with it.

Thank you all for the fast replies. I had heard the rule of closest to the button.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom