Chip cam? (1 Viewer)

FlushMD

Pair
Reaction score
I need a better chip cam!

How are people getting such great shots of their chips? I'm trying to use my iPhone but I never get crisp photos and I'm constantly battling to get the phone shadow out of view.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh we don't really own any of those chips. Those are all stock internet pics that we post occasionally. In fact this entire site was built and populated just to mess with your head.

I'm just kidding.

Maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: DRG
If you have a phone shadow it's because the light source is behind your phone. I use a setup similar to what you will find here: https://www.google.com/search?q=light+box+diy&tbm=isch

Notice that despite the variation in their approaches, they all use multiple work lamps to illuminate the subject from multiple angles and cancel the shadows of the other lamps.

Shoot in RAW. The Lightroom and Halide iOS apps both offer that ability. It looks like iOS offers it natively now.

Learn how to process RAW images. Levels and color balancing, etc. I use the Lightroom desktop app.

Host on Imgur, not PCF. The latter degrades photos.

I’m no professional, but here’s a few things I try to keep in mind. If you’re using iPhone:

1) Wipe off your iPhone camera lens/make sure it’s clean before taking photos. It’s a small thing that makes a difference.

2) Use an app like Photoshop Express to quickly adjust white balance/temperature to make photos appear more natural. Even the basic editing tool in your iPhone photo app will allow basic adjustments.

3) As mentioned above, try different lighting angles to avoid unwanted shadows.

4) Try taking photos from different angles. Look at photos you find interesting and ask yourself, “what is it that makes the photo stand out?” Don’t be afraid to experiment.

I like to shoot outside in light shade whenever possible. I have a patio that is in the afternoon shade and the ambient light is great.
For indoors, setting up near a window so the light hits from the side (no direct sunlight), and a small fill light from another angle, can also produce great photographs.

Definitely lighting. You want multiple light sources from different angles, with none of it too strong like direct sunlight. You don't want to be directly between a light source and the object or you'll get shadows, as you mentioned. Unfortunately direct overhead lights aren't great for lighting pictures. I don't know how new your iPhone is, but anything from the last 5 years should be shooting well enough. Not sure how ios works but make sure it's saving pictures at max resolution and not compressing them to save space.

Last edited:
Turn live photo on for pictures. When you select a a live photo you shot and hit edit, tap ”live” on bottom left and you can choose the one you like best from about 10 different photos. Stop on the one you like and “make key photo” will pop up. Select that and the frame you selected will become the photo shown.

Reactions: DRG
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 3.25.24 PM.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom