Wanted Cheap Chips for Murder! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_Man618

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Got lucky yesterday and was able to snag 2 drill presses for $60. From all I can tell that’s what I’ll be needing to finally start doing milling. So I’m looking to get some cheap chips from a variety of manufacturers to get things dialed in before I start. Thanks!

Like 50¢/chip or around that range. Hopefully I won’t need more than 200-300 chips to experiment with lol

Like 50¢/chip or around that range. Hopefully I won’t need more than 200-300 chips to experiment with lol
For science of course! Good luck with this endeavor bro, have fun it sounds awesome!

giphy.gif

I have no experience with milling, but I do have a drill press and I have read through several "how to" threads on milling and it doesn't look all that difficult. I initially thought I would do this too, but I have gotten busy enough with murdering chips with inlays that I am not looking for more to do.

With that said, I would think you should be able to figure out how to get good results without ruining more than 5-10 chips. Getting efficient AND good results will likely take several hundred or maybe even up to a few thousand chips.

The trick to getting efficient is you have to experiment with different ways of saving time. For example: how to reduce the # of times you pick up the chips etc. Little small things can make a big difference

I have no experience with milling, but I do have a drill press and I have read through several "how to" threads on milling and it doesn't look all that difficult. I initially thought I would do this too, but I have gotten busy enough with murdering chips with inlays that I am not looking for more to do.

With that said, I would think you should be able to figure out how to get good results without ruining more than 5-10 chips. Getting efficient AND good results will likely take several hundred or maybe even up to a few thousand chips

The trick to getting efficient is you have to experiment with different ways of saving time. For example: how to reduce the # of times you pick up the chips etc. Little small things can make a big difference
Yeah I’ve had a slow few months at work so I’ve got a bunch of extra time. I figure it’ll take a rackish to get things set and make sure I can get consistent results. Once that happens I can see if some members want to be the first customers and I’ll get more efficient over time. I’m thinking of experimenting with a way to “set” a depth on the machine will mill to so it will be consistent on all chips and I could use both machines to be more efficient.

Instead of paying for cheap chips to experiment on you could ask for guinea pigs… I have some old chips I’ve been wanting milled that if there’s a 10% loss on it wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom