Cash Game Change On Hand (1 Viewer)

Vince Bustillo

Straight
Reaction score
So I'm about to host my first cash game and was wondering home much change I should have on hand for when people cash out. We are going to be playing 25¢/25¢ with a max buy in of $60. Thanks for your help.

I typically buy-in 10x$1 and 6x$5 plus however many $20s for my initial buy in. My game has a $100 buy-in and 25c/50c blinds. Most everyone else buy in with $20 or $100. I find this is adequate for cash out purposes. I also round change down. Occasionally, I have a situation where I don't have enough small bills, but a player usually has been able to break the bigger bill.

When I hosted, I had around $1 × 20, 6 × $5, and 5 × $10. I bought in (and topped up or rebought) with small bills.

This.

Didn't pay out coin, always rounded down.

This. Or allow the extra quarters to go to someone who is one short (if everyone is cashing out)... otherwise, put them in the center for the next hand.

In my old, small game, at the end of the night we used to pull all the fractions in the middle - say you have 75 cents left, a couple with 50 cents or quarters - and run out an open PLO or HoldEm hand for the lot. If someone left early, she would toss her change to the host.

I'll let my friend Danny explain:

Local home game rules stipulate that the house must hold in reserve enough cash to cover every chip in play on the floor. That means on a weekday, by law, it has to carry anywhere between $60 and $70 million in cash and coin. On the weekend, between $80 and $90 million. On a fight night, like the one a couple of weeks ago, $150 million, without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
I pay to the $1 and everyone left at last call flips for the odd fracs. Early cash outs round down and I rack the chips.

I keep 20 singles on hand, x10 5s and 10s.

I get a weird satisfaction out of giving everyone their exact change back at the end of the night. Typically $3 in quarters is good for the fracs. If I'm going to another game I'm certainly cool with rounding down when I cash out.

it also depends how your players cash out. Here in MD, most games round to the nearest $5 or even $20 and donate the remainder to the host. In other home games, I see people cashing out to the dollar. If the later holds true, get 20 $1 and $40 in $5's. if the former is true, get $10 in $1's and $50 in 5's.

for my large cash games (which are either $.25/$.50 or $1/$1), I always get 10 x $1, and always have at least 6-8 left when cashing out.

Mark

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom