Tourney Celebrity Bounty Idea (2 Viewers)

rjbf65

Two Pair
Reaction score
Looking to run a 2 table tournament on Pokerrrr2 this weekend for a friends 37th birthday. The plan is $37 buy in with $7 of that going towards a bounty and $30 to the prize pool.

The birthday boy will be a bounty and he gets to decide a player from the other table as the other bounty. If you knock one of them or you win half of the entire bounty pot. We are planning on 18 players.

Is this format unfair to the 2 bounty players? Say they have people gunning for them all game, they knock out a player or two but don't cash in the tourney, they win nothing. They don't have a chance to win bounty money unless winning the entire thing.

One person suggested that if the chosen bounty person knocks a player out then he should get $7 for it and his bounty share drops by that amount. Looking for some thoughts on this. My group of players have never played a bounty tourney before. A big bounty on a couple players sounds way more interesting than a small bounty on everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I did something similar when our host's wife asked us to surprise him with a game for his birthday. To keep it simple we played a regular tournament (18 players if I recall) but the host was the only player who had a bounty. I organized the game and paid the host's first buy-in ($15) and put up his bounty ($15) as my gift and thanks for his continued hosting.

I don't think it impacted game play much for any of the players, fwiw, but the stakes were low and the game was friendly.

We did the tournament on Saturday night with the two known bounties. It was a lot of fun. Had 15 total players. The 2 bounties made it in the top 5 and I had a nice stack and was seated directly to the left of them both. I took a shot to knock them both out on the same hand and I needed a 3 outer, and got lucky! (I normally would have laid the hand down but took the shot) I wound up getting 2nd in the tourney and actually won more than 1st place did overall.

I do agree that having secret bounties sounds interesting and probably more fair. Assuming we do an 18 person tournament again and say we want to have 2 bounties, I'll put 2 red chips and 16 white chips in a bag. Every time a player gets knocked out I'll draw a chip out of the bag. If red, bounty pays, if white, no bounty.

Making the bounties known is fun. @krafticus did something similar in his holiday tournament last year. In addition to splash pots he gave certain players he wanted to mess with (me included) extra bounty value. It was silly and people definitely gunned for me which was the point I think. @longflop usually does this as well by putting extra bounty on the folks who cashed the previous month. I like it personally and considering tournaments are already high variance I don't think it affects results very much.

Sure, I think for a once in a while, low stakes, fun game, a format like this is fine.
It is absolutely not fair, but neither is life. If you’re gonna freak out about $7 on somebody’s birthday, go find another game.

Making the bounties known is fun. @krafticus did something similar in his holiday tournament last year. In addition to splash pots he gave certain players he wanted to mess with (me included) extra bounty value. It was silly and people definitely gunned for me which was the point I think. @longflop usually does this as well by putting extra bounty on the folks who cashed the previous month. I like it personally and considering tournaments are already high variance I don't think it affects results very much.
Thats right. Back in the days when hosting a league was something I felt comfortable doing, if you cashed last month, you start with a bounty chip this month. Each bounty was worth half a buy in. The guys liked it.

Sure, I think for a once in a while, low stakes, fun game, a format like this is fine.
It is absolutely not fair, but neither is life. If you’re gonna freak out about $7 on somebody’s birthday, go find another game.

We did end up giving the 2 bounty players $7 per knockout. Each of them knocked out 1 player. In hindsight, I feel that was the most fair way to do it. It took me 3 tries to knock him out. Went at him a little light each time. Got lucky on the 3rd try. To me its an advantage to be the bounty. You will have more people coming at you with less than premium hands.

All in all I feel everyone enjoyed the format.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom