Tourney Cash to Tournament? (1 Viewer)

Lent53

High Hand
Reaction score
So I have a nice set of DDLM that my group uses for our 1-2 cash games. I have a total bank of $10k and its spread out as follows:

120x1
380x5
80x25
60x100

The group has expressed interest in maybe playing a short tournament before our cash games when we are back to playing so I started looking around for a tournament set. Then I thought why not just add to my current set of DDLM since the guys really enjoy them. That was I could use them for both cash and tournaments. I wanted to get some help as to what I would need to add in order to host a small 1 table or possibly one day a 2 table tournament. I understand rebuys need to be accounted for as well if I go that route. I am by no means a tournament player and I do not have a great grasp on structure and starting stack. However, after using the search function I have gained some good knowledge. If anyone could give me a hand and let me know what I can add that would work best, I would greatly appreciate it!

Conventional wisdom says to get a completely different set for tournaments. It would be too easy for someone to pocket an identical Tourney chip (25 or 100) and slip it into the cash game later. And yes, you trust all of your friends, but better to remove the temptation in advance rather than to discover the problem after the fact.

That said, you might be able to get some semi-custom DDLMs with different colors for the "overlap" chips, and keep a consistent theme amongst both sets.

Conventional wisdom says to get a completely different set for tournaments. It would be too easy for someone to pocket an identical Tourney chip (25 or 100) and slip it into the cash game later. And yes, you trust all of your friends, but better to remove the temptation in advance rather than to discover the problem after the fact.

That said, you might be able to get some semi-custom DDLMs with different colors for the "overlap" chips, and keep a consistent theme amongst both sets.

That is very true and I appreciate your feedback. How many chips would I need if I went with a new set. Something around 4-500?

For a T10k tournament, there is a debate between starting stacks of 12-12-x-x or 8-8-x-x. The former is reportedly better for single table (more chips, less making change), while the latter reportedly works better for 3 tables or more (more efficient, less cost). There are threads that debate the merits of both (search "starting stack").

@BGinGA has contributed to numerous threads that discuss the number of chips required for a Single Table Tournament (STT) and is very knowledgeable, so I would look for threads with his contributions. I believe that a 280 chip set is the Minimum for up to 10 players (80-80-40-70-10) , but a 400 chip set works much better (120-120-60-80-20?). But you should search the threads to confirm, as I am a complete noob myself.

(Note: numbers above refer to T25-T100-T500-T1000-T5000 chip distribution)

Outside the box idea if you really like DDLM.

Do high roller tournament breakdown using T500/T1000/T5000/T25000/T100000

4/8/8/6 would be your starting point for T200K starting stack and blinds at 500-1000. Add Extra T25000 for color ups and Extra T100K chips for re-entries.

40/80/80/60/40 = 300 chips.

You would have to go semi custom to get T25K or T100K chips. (I would suggest the blue quarter for T25K and the pink NCV for T100K for example.)

This way you have a line between your tourney denoms and your cash denoms.

For a T10k tournament, there is a debate between starting stacks of 12-12-x-x or 8-8-x-x. The former is reportedly better for single table (more chips, less making change), while the latter reportedly works better for 3 tables or more (more efficient, less cost). There are threads that debate the merits of both (search "starting stack").

@BGinGA has contributed to numerous threads that discuss the number of chips required for a Single Table Tournament (STT) and is very knowledgeable, so I would look for threads with his contributions. I believe that a 280 chip set is the Minimum for up to 10 players (80-80-40-70-10) , but a 400 chip set works much better (120-120-60-80-20?). But you should search the threads to confirm, as I am a complete noob myself.

(Note: numbers above refer to T25-T100-T500-T1000-T5000 chip distribution)

Thank you. I have seen @BGinGA give his input on these type of things and he is very knowledgeable. I was thinking 400 chips will take care of a 1 table tournament but I was just wondering how many I would need if I wanted to have enough for 2 tables eventually and rebuys also play a role. Although, Generally rebuys can be done with larger denomination chips and just get change from the players. Thank you.

Outside the box idea if you really like DDLM.

Do high roller tournament breakdown using T500/T1000/T5000/T25000/T100000

4/8/8/6 would be your starting point for T200K starting stack and blinds at 500-1000. Add Extra T25000 for color ups and Extra T100K chips for re-entries.

40/80/80/60/40 = 300 chips.

You would have to go semi custom to get T25K or T100K chips. (I would suggest the blue quarter for T25K and the pink NCV for T100K for example.)

This way you have a line between your tourney denoms and your cash denoms.

Thank you for that idea! I was thinking that as well but if I was going to do entirely different denoms I would likely get an entirely different set. I have been keeping my eye on the classifieds to see what pops up.

What is the benefit of having lower denoms vs the higher. Just personal preference?

What is the benefit of having lower denoms vs the higher. Just personal preference?

Usually personal preference, but in your case, it would offer you the added benefit of drawing a clear line between which denoms are cash chips and which are tournament chips. (Assuming you wanted both sets to be DDLM, if you are thinking a different set entirely, then do whatever denoms you want.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom