Cash Set Size Recommendations Needed (1 Viewer)

yeah … I like that breakdown - Here is what I'm thinking

100 x .25's
300 x $1's (mainly for .25/.25 games) - not sure what I was thinking getting 4 racks of $1's - haven't hosted events and never paid much attention
400 x $5's (need 1 more rack)
200 x 20's (not sure I need a second rack?)
20 x $100's (hate empty racks but I would never need the additional 4 barrels right?)

If you hate empty racks, just get 180 x 20.

This ^^^.

You definitely don’t need more than 100 fracs in a full ring game. More just get in the way and are a waste of money and space if you are trying to maximize your breakdown efficiency.

This fella’s advice is wise, thoughtful and without peer on this exact topic; in addition he is a hell of a guy:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/need-help-with-cash-set-breakdown.6473/#post-67892

If you want even more flexibility (and future-proof your set) get 1000 in a 100/200/400/200/100 breakdown, but honestly, you can get by with fewer.

I am not wrong.

If you hate empty racks, just get 180 x 20.
good point - except these hundos are 43's - not a huge deal but they don't sit right in the smaller racks.

100 x .25's
200 x $1's - (sell two racks)
400 x $5's (need 1 more rack)
180 x 20's (need 3 barrels)
20 x $100's

total 900 chips with a bank = $7,800

I’m not sure where all these recommendations of $10,000 worth of hundred dollar chips are coming from.
I’m sure there are some $1/$2 games where everybody gets in for a grand or more, but I know I’ve never seen one.

I’m not sure where all these recommendations of $10,000 worth of hundred dollar chips are coming from.
I’m sure there are some $1/$2 games where everybody gets in for a grand or more, but I know I’ve never seen one.
It's not about having that amount in play at once - it is about having enough smaller stuff to make change, and having enough larger stuff to handle color-ups. Having too much of a certain chip never hurts, but not having enough ALWAYS HURTS

It's not about having that amount in play at once - it is about having enough smaller stuff to make change, and having enough larger stuff to handle color-ups. Having too much of a certain chip never hurts, but not having enough ALWAYS HURTS
Huh? Are you agreeing with me?
And what’s this talk of color ups? Are we talking tournaments now?

Most players would say that a cash game with a max buy-in of 100BB sucks.

Personally, I like the ideal of the buy-in being 100xbb . I think it’s just the right amount to induce action but not go crazy. A Buy-in that is too large relative to the BB will make people play conservatively. Too small and people play with desperation.

Regardless by the end of the night, the remaining players will all have towers in front of them.

I’d like the set to be able to accommodate .25/.5, .5/$1 ... all the way up to $1/$2.
I generally recommend a 100/200/200/100 breakdown as a minimum for a 600-chip single table set for any given stakes.

So to cover 25c/50c up to $1/$2 you'd need (at a minimum):
100 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
200 x $20 (or $25)
100 x $100

Some games play deeper than others; adding another rack (or two) of $5 may (or may not) be needed.

You don’t need a lot of small blind chips. 10-20 per player is enough. In my experience the less denominations in play the better. More than three denominations on the table sucks.

For a $1/2 game 20 $1s are nice though. I ideally like a starting stack of $220 with one barrel of white and two red and may make that my house max buy in. Rebuys are handled with $5s and $25s.
I am now of the opinion that you should just make the .25/.50 game .50/.50. There is also a good chance that game will probably move to .50/1 at some point.

As a host the goal for me is to make cashing in and out as easy and quick as possible.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the ideal of the buy-in being 100xbb . I think it’s just the right amount to induce action but not go crazy. A Buy-in that is too large relative to the BB will make people play conservatively. Too small and people play with desperation.

Regardless by the end of the night, the remaining players will all have towers in front of them.
I agree. I like $60 max buyins for a .25/.50 or a .50/.50, mostly because I have some cheap friends who won't like it if somebody buys in for $100 right off the rip. Rebuys can be up to the big stack. More money will come out, stacks will get bigger - have some patience and don't scare anybody off.

100BB is fine if it's the standard buy-in (both minimum and maximum), with the max eventually up to half the big stack.

Don't over think this. Just add 100 quarters and you can accommodate 0.25-0.25, 0.25-0.50.

Or if you never think you will need to spread 0.25-0.25 add 60*0.50 to spread 0.50-0.50 and you will be fine.

Personally I don't think 400 singles is too much for a 0.25 or 0.50 big blind game. I do treat singles as the "workhorse" when I spread 0.50-0.50, but we play with a max buy in of 60 or 120 BB, I know others in this thread spread 200 BB or more so ymmv.

For 0.50-1 and 1-1 I would hold back on the singles to 1-2 racks in play only.

Either way I think the rest of your breakdown is just fine the way it is, just decide which frac to add.

I agree. I like $60 max buyins for a .25/.50 or a .50/.50, mostly because I have some cheap friends who won't like it if somebody buys in for $100 right off the rip. Rebuys can be up to the big stack. More money will come out, stacks will get bigger - have some patience and don't scare anybody off.

Very true. We play about 6 hours each session at my weekly games. Most would agree that the REAL poker (the most dangerous) phase doesn't begin until about the 4 hour mark. By then the remaining players (about 6-7) all have huge stacks in front of them. Then you add in the fatigue and alcohol factor and it could be very damaging if you're not careful. One slip and the entire nights work goes down in shambles.

I generally recommend a 100/200/200/100 breakdown as a minimum for a 600-chip single table set for any given stakes.

So to cover 25c/50c up to $1/$2 you'd need (at a minimum):
100 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
200 x $20 (or $25)
100 x $100

Some games play deeper than others; adding another rack (or two) of $5 may (or may not) be needed.
Thanks BGinGa!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom