Wanted Budget .25/.50 cash set, china clay or cheap ceramic? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

honkydevil

Straight
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A friend of mine wants me to help him choose an affordable for him poker set. We were looking through the varieties available on Apache, but just curious if anyone has anything to get rid of before I send him to buy new plastic/China clay chips. He’s trying to spend less and I’m trying to convince him a few dollars for better chips will be a good investment.

Quarters, $1s, $5s needed. $25s only needed if there aren’t many $5s, not a huge game.

A friend of mine wants me to help him choose an affordable for him poker set. We were looking through the varieties available on Apache, but just curious if anyone has anything to get rid of before I send him to buy new plastic/China clay chips. He’s trying to spend less and I’m trying to convince him a few dollars for better chips will be a good investment.

Quarters, $1s, $5s needed. $25s only needed if there aren’t many $5s, not a huge game.
Beautiful small real clay set at a great price. Definitely more than china clay, but way cooler too. Sounds like the breakdown might work for his game.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...xed-cpc-asm-a-mold-set-w-200-25¢-fracs.90689/

See my comment in that thread. I wish I had bought a cool set like this instead of a couple thousand china clays with my first $400 spent in chipping.

i know this is going against the mainstream here right now. clay over ceramics by a lot. i just am never fully happy with ceramics

i know this is going against the mainstream here right now. clay over ceramics by a lot. i just am never fully happy with ceramics
Are you referring to the cards mold buys? I never bought a set but sounds like they are really good for the price. How would you compare them to China clay chips like the newer Dunes if you've tried anything like that?

Thats a good price lol. Where are they now? at 50 cents a chip that'd only be 800 chips now.
Soon after I joined PCF I purchased about 800 PGI 8V china clay chips. Over time I added more in several separate purchases and now have about 2400 of them. I have a 600 piece micro stakes cash set with custom DIY labels that I use with plans to expand to about 1000 chips with additional labeling. And I have plans to label another 800-1000 for a 1-2 table tournament set at some time in the future.

The part that would have saved me money is that as much as I like the PGI 8V chips, eventually I did desire to also acquire real clay Paulson, ASM/CPC and BCC chips. It's harder to put together usable sets of these chips on a budget, so I have acquired a lot of various racks and barrels of chips in attempting to create a cohesive set. A turnkey set such as the one I linked "might" have satisfied my itch a little sooner.

I just can’t justify the price difference of china clays over cheap plastics. Granted, I don’t have a ton of experience playing with either. But for all the samples I’ve handled, china clay has always seemed like a waste of money to me. Splurge on real clay or just get the flattest cheap plastics you can find.
And ceramic is always a great option.

I just can’t justify the price difference of china clays over cheap plastics. Granted, I don’t have a ton of experience playing with either. But for all the samples I’ve handled, china clay has always seemed like a waste of money to me. Splurge on real clay or just get the flattest cheap plastics you can find.
Obviously we all have our own opinions, but I feel that the best of the china clay chips, (again, my opinion - the PGI 8Vs and the Spirit mold chips) are MUCH closer to real clay than to cheap plastics. The rub is that they are hard to find in the exact breakdowns you might want because the complete lines can no longer be purchased at retail. But if bought used here on PCF, they are only marginally more expensive (15-30 cents each) than buying the newer slugged plastic chips at retail. (12-20 cents each)

Being iffy on price, I think this is a reasonable solution. He could buy 500 Poker Nights or another Claysmith for $90. That saves enough for a rack of Paulsons down the road.

Being iffy on price, I think this is a reasonable solution. He could buy 500 Poker Nights or another Claysmith for $90. That saves enough for a rack of Paulsons down the road.
If you don't think your friend is ever going to be a "chipper" like us, and he's happy with the feel of sluggos, then by all means go with sluggos. My personal favorite is the Claysmith 12 stripe. They're still head and shoulders above cheap interlocking plastic or dice chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom