Brad Owen Loses 200k On Lodge Livestream (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Ooch. I didn't watch the entirety of both streams but Brad lost 115k on stream playing 100/200 and another 78k the next night playing 200/400

He was quiet and looked grumpy both nights whenever I tuned in, and generally came off like a misreg. His recent tweet followed in that look

Screenshot_20230220_053928_Twitter.jpg

Ah shit, NO BRAD NO! Definitely was too drunk first night and played horribly, second night wasn't great either but seemed less disastrous. I skipped around but saw him call off high 5 figures with just AK high.

That tweet is ugly lol. Partially true; lost in my home game after the board pairs on the river to beat my nut flush, and I had to listen to a DEAR, DEAR FRIEND talk about how I should've folded because a set might become a full house at any time.

Ah shit, NO BRAD NO! Definitely was too drunk first night and played horribly, second night wasn't great either but seemed less disastrous. I skipped around but saw him call off high 5 figures with just AK high.

That tweet is ugly lol. Partially true; lost in my home game after the board pairs on the river to beat my nut flush, and I had to listen to a DEAR, DEAR FRIEND talk about how I should've folded because a set might become a full house at any time.

EVentually poker turns us all into misregs, it's hard to hold onto that light inside sometimes

Sadly he doesn't; lost it in the breakup with his ex I think.
Pretty sure he has gotten a new one since.

Concerning his loss - I saw a snippet of day 1 and almost the entirety of day 2. He was kinda card dead and got outflopped most of the time. That call with AK high wasn't his greatest though.

I think this was some variance on an action packed table where players would call 4 bets with T7s. Sometimes they hit and you miss.
Unfortunately for him Brad seemed to have most of himself so these monetary losses really added up. If your lifelyhood depends on you bringing Poker content to an audience that's getting hungrier after high stakes day by day it's gotta be disheartening to lose a big big chunk of your bankroll in two days.
I don't blame him for that tweet because I saw some of the threads created on reddit about him that were just vile.

In the end I think he'll be fine. He's on his way to a million subscribers, is a WPT ambassador and his part-ownership of the lodge will have its monetary perks as well.
Just a bad week and will make a good comeback story on his vlog.

People like Brad, Mariano, Rampage, etc aren't dumb. They wouldn't play in nosebleed stakes unless they were really well rolled for it. Brad may have won a quarter million playing poker last year, but how much did he make in endorsements and YouTube money? He promotes WPT, Nick Petrangelo's course, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. Point is, he'll be fine I think, but that's a pretty big reality check. Maybe makes him a bit more humble. I like Brad as he seems genuine, but his misreg attitude lately is starting turn me off. May be best to climb down to 10/20 for a while.

Pretty sure he has gotten a new one since.

Concerning his loss - I saw a snippet of day 1 and almost the entirety of day 2. He was kinda card dead and got outflopped most of the time. That call with AK high wasn't his greatest though.

I think this was some variance on an action packed table where players would call 4 bets with T7s. Sometimes they hit and you miss.
Unfortunately for him Brad seemed to have most of himself so these monetary losses really added up. If your lifelyhood depends on you bringing Poker content to an audience that's getting hungrier after high stakes day by day it's gotta be disheartening to lose a big big chunk of your bankroll in two days.
I don't blame him for that tweet because I saw some of the threads created on reddit about him that were just vile.

In the end I think he'll be fine. He's on his way to a million subscribers, is a WPT ambassador and his part-ownership of the lodge will have its monetary perks as well.
Just a bad week and will make a good comeback story on his vlog.

I think most fans of a vlog just want to see the person they follow win. I think most of his fans would be happy seeing him winning at 5/10 nlh rather than playing stakes way out of his comfort zone and looking miserable the entire time

People like Brad, Mariano, Rampage, etc aren't dumb. They wouldn't play in nosebleed stakes unless they were really well rolled for it. Brad may have won a quarter million playing poker last year, but how much did he make in endorsements and YouTube money? He promotes WPT, Nick Petrangelo's course, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. Point is, he'll be fine I think, but that's a pretty big reality check. Maybe makes him a bit more humble. I like Brad as he seems genuine, but his misreg attitude lately is starting turn me off. May be best to climb down to 10/20 for a while.

I think I saw Rampage shove 40 bigs pre with A5 suited because "it's a shove at most stack depths"

So don't tell me who is and isn't stupid!

I find Brad annoying and a cry baby at times, I really don't see why he plays these stakes. He has nothing to prove. He built his image as an ordinary guy finding success at poker & vloging. I think he should stick to lower stakes/tourneys and continue to build an already successful brand.

They do say that people tend to get real stupid after their first big tournament win but I wouldn’t have expected it from him.

Actually I just checked and was surprised to see he only won $100,000 in that tournament.

I don’t follow him closely, but it sounds like @JMC9389 is right and this guy just isn’t in a great place right now and maybe needs to take a break. Whatever his other income streams are, this seems like a stupid big hit to Brad Owens the professional poker player.

Gotta be prepared for those kind of losses at those stakes. Sucks for sure it if you can't handle it you probably shouldn't be at those stakes. Not saying he can or can't just making a point about big losses.

Chat pros on these streams have lots of great strategy tips that come along with seeing the cards. It's like commenting on an NFL game when you know the plays. Those are fun thought exercises but not super helpful after the fact.

There are also a lot of critics online and you can't let those comments get to you because those people are probably never getting in the arena themselves. It doesn't mean they are stupid, just that they probably won't play in the same game.

I think I give Brad a pass for any comments after a bad loss. I'm sure he’ll gain perspective after he has time to digest and reflect on what happened. I wish him well moving on from this.

The problem is that Brad via his vlog has crafted this image of being a friendly, humble everyman. But when we see him on stream for two days he's just a misreg, scowling, not being social in a game full of drunk whales that are trying to punt off stacks, etc.

It's just a bad look given the image and persona he tries to sell via his usual platform, to come across pretty much the exact opposite.

Wow, I just read Doug Polk defending Brad on Reddit, and Doug came off like a huge douche. It sounds like Doug forced Brad to play.

Yeah Doug is a douche, and Kevin is right, he is only chiming in because he know there is no bad press. 1) Its in favor of the lodge, 2) he gets to 'defend' a 'friend' who has a following.

He is so slimy a real pos imo, he's always the guy adding fuel

It’s just a PR stunt. Working too from what I can see.
Meh. I’m kinda done with Texas streams for now. I don’t really enjoy watching people play poker like maniacs. It’s interesting for a change, but I know I’d be scared, miserable Brad at that table. And if I don’t want to play, I probably don’t want to watch.

Sucks that he lost, but I feel confident predicting that Brad will come across much better and maybe even address his image at these tables when the vlogs come out.

If he wanted to, he could be an adult and say no to playing these stakes. If he wanted to, he could have sold as much action as he wanted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom