Tourney Blinds in the transition from three-handed to heads-up (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
This is something that I don't know for sure but how I've been told is that when you go from three-handed to heads-up, the button posts the small blind and is first to act. Is this correct?

In the examples below:
Case A the button moves to the player 2 who then has to post SB twice and the BB automatically moves to Player 1.

Case C is nice and clean - the button moves to the player 3 who then has to post SB and the BB automatically moves to Player 1 and everything is right with the world

Case B is my problem: if we follow the button (bottom example), the new dealer is SB again and player 3 is BB again. Is this how it should be or is it that the button skips player 2 and goes to player 3 so that player 3 doesn't post BB twice in a row (top example)?

Blinds.png

As I understand it, the golden rule is no one skips a big blind. So the big blind acts as it always does when a player is busted out, and the new small blind is the dealer.

So yes, in scenario B, player 2 becomes the big blind and player 1 is the small blind/dealer.

Thanks guys. What always confuses me is that the dealer button skips a player. Normally I just pay attention to the button and SB/BB takes care of itself. For the transition, if I focus on who is the BB then the dealer button and SB works itself out.

Only 3 things are sure in life: Death, Taxes, and the Big Blind.

The Big Blind is the key to tournament poker. There is always a BB.

SB can be dead. Dealer can be dead. But BB always moves, skips no-one, and tells you where the SB and the dealer goes. Unfortunately, people get hung up on the button sometimes, because it gets a big marker.

And although I am generally an advocate for using more chips, ~please~ don't introduce a BIG BLIND button into your tournaments. One big marker in the game is enough.

Nothing wrong with ALL-IN chips, however. :D

And although I am generally an advocate for using more chips, ~please~ don't introduce a BIG BLIND button into your tournaments. One big marker in the game is enough.

Nothing wrong with ALL-IN chips, however. :D

Dammit now you've pre-ruined the upcoming sale of my collection of Small Blind, Big Blind and Kill buttons (sad to say I don't have an All-In button).

(PS I've never used 'em)

I have a small blind and big blind marker as well as a matching dealer button for the set. I have no idea where they came from, but I know I didn't purchase them. I never used them, but if I did, it would be to indicate a missed blind.

However, to use them I would have to dig them out from the "samples" box, filed under "Don't Buy".
My samples box is portable so new hosts can borrow it, shuffle samples, and get a feel before buying. It's important to me to have a "Don't Buy"section in the case, so they know that "great deal on eBay" isn't a rare discovery. Some chips are just not worth the "savings".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom