Best Size Pelican Case for chip racks (1 Viewer)

Sam's club has identical replica's to the Pelican 1450 for $19.99. I guess the patent ran out as they even stack the same and the foam is swap able. (Orange is Pelican 1450, Black is Member's Mark Rugged Protective Case (UPC code 78742 16033). Basically the Member's Mark case and foam are cheaper than the replacement foam from Pelican. Weighs 5.1lbs 15.9 X 12.9 X 6.8 inches (40.5 x 33x 17.4 cm)
20170211_192236.jpg 20170211_192248.jpg 20170211_192309.jpg 20170211_192325.jpg

Sam's club has identical replica's to the Pelican 1450 for $19.99. I guess the patent ran out as they even stack the same and the foam is swap able. (Orange is Pelican 1450, Black is Member's Mark Rugged Protective Case (UPC code 78742 16033). Basically the Member's Mark case and foam are cheaper than the replacement foam from Pelican. Weighs 5.1lbs 15.9 X 12.9 X 6.8 inches (40.5 x 33x 17.4 cm)
View attachment 81864 View attachment 81865 View attachment 81866 View attachment 81867
Wow. Good to know. Thanx for posting this. (y) :thumbsup: That I can swing.

IMG_4241.JPG
I just customized my pelican 1510 for 1200 chips. They sit 3 racks deep. Using the unique 4200 (paulson) racks. This works great. I could fit another 300 as you can see. Also have 36 plaques and nine decks of cards with the poker genie and dealer / blinds buttons. It's kinda heavy, but I love it!

View attachment 81864 View attachment 81865 View attachment 81866 View attachment 81867
Got a couple of these a few months ago they really are a great deal.

Thanks for the tip, i picked up one of these and you can't beat it for the price. Idientical to the Pelican for a whole lot less. Will be getting a couple more.

Just wanted to revise my thoughts on the Member's Mark case. Quality is pretty much the same, very impressed with the Member's Mark case. It should provide maximum protection for the chips the same as the Pelican case.

While almost identical to the Pelican 1450 there is one big difference. The Pelican comes with a 3 part foam insert system for the base (2 pick & pluck thick pieces and a thin solid piece at the bottom). The Member's Mark case comes with a 2 part foam insert system for the base (1 pick & pluck thick piece and one solid thick piece at the bottom), the foam for the lid is the same in both cases. This means that in the Pelican you could stack 3 racks high x 4 wide for a possible 1200 chip capacity. While the Member's Mark you can only stack 2 racks high x 4 wide for 800 chip capacity. Not really a problem for me as 1200 chips would be way too heavy to lug around by the handle.

I configured mine for 800 chips (2 racks high x 4 racks wide) and a card setup with room for DB's/buttons if necessary and really like it.

membersmark.jpg

I will buy more of the Member's Mark cases. The price point is outstanding and it doesn't bother me not being able to cram and extras 400 chips in. Like I said the weight difference is a big deal for my achy ass body to carry more than the 800 chips. Still think it's a great buy.

Sorry for bad phone pics, they have problems with brightness/color correction.

Walked up and down every inch of my Sam's Club 3 times and couldn't find any. When I asked an employee they said they could only look up a quantity by scanning it, even though I had the UPC that was provided by others. How can you scan something I can't find?

My wife got me a 1510 Pelican for my birthday. I'm not supposed to know but she ordered it on my Amazon account and I got a delivery email. Shhhh!

Is the foam piece easy to configure for 12 racks? I am fantastically clumsy and as coordinated as a 3 toed sloth.

My wife got me a 1510 Pelican for my birthday. I'm not supposed to know but she ordered it on my Amazon account and I got a delivery email. Shhhh!

Is the foam piece easy to configure for 12 racks? I am fantastically clumsy and as coordinated as a 3 toed sloth.
Very easy, no skills needed. Just chopped up a 1510 an hour ago... two racks are fine without even plucking the deeper second foam.

Curious though at where others are chopping. With racks going vertical they land in the middle of a foam piece as shown (leaving four intact). In such an instance are you guys leaving the cut short and squeezing racks in or are you cutting long and relying on the top pushing down to keep anything from moving when closed? I'm currently in the "squeeze" corner but it'll make for a big pain in the butt once I reorder and go three racks deep.

IMG_1736.JPG

I followed the toothpic & X-acto (any sharp) knife method suggested in the youtube video posted in this thread. Worked like a charm.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/pelican-cases-60-65-off.16295/page-2#post-316469
The main thing you would need to make sure is since you will be cutting/plucking through 2 pieces of foam is to have the cutouts aligned properly. Just measure 2-10 times before you start cutting/plucking. If I can do it, then anyone should be able to.

GL, I would advise heavy drinking before starting the procedure. ;)

Very easy, no skills needed. Just chopped up a 1510 an hour ago... two racks are fine without even plucking the deeper second foam.

Curious though at where others are chopping. With racks going vertical they land in the middle of a foam piece as shown (leaving four intact). In such an instance are you guys leaving the cut short and squeezing racks in or are you cutting long and relying on the top pushing down to keep anything from moving when closed? I'm currently in the "squeeze" corner but it'll make for a big pain in the butt once I reorder and go three racks deep.

View attachment 85233

Weird, maybe the foam between the Pelican & Members Mark are different sizes but my racks fit perfect in cutouts of 5x14 squares. No overlap at all. Could be a difference in rack size, I use the 66.7 branded racks from Spinetti's.

IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG

See mine. I had no problem at all. You can actually fit 1500 if you want. But it will be heavy. My racks are 4200 series from unique.

Thanks. The main appeal was the $19.99 price tag, and I figured with it being a Sam's Club brand it would be readily available. I figured incorrectly. I still have a $20 toolbox I bought that was mentioned in another thread, but this one seems more compact.

Order them on Sam's website and then ship them to your local store. Or you can take a fun trip up to Grand Forks North Dakota where we have shelves of them for $19.99. ;)

My best Jeff

Order them on Sam's website and then ship them to your local store. Or you can take a fun trip up to Grand Forks North Dakota where we have shelves of them for $19.99. ;)

My best Jeff

Do you have a link to where I can do this by chance? It shows online only and out of stock for me, and the green "Add to cart" button can't be clicked.

Though I've never been to North Dakota, could be a fun trip!

IMG_4400.PNG

Do you have a link to where I can do this by chance? It shows online only and out of stock for me, and the green "Add to cart" button can't be clicked.

View attachment 85254
My suggestion is call customer service with the upc code and have them divert some as a special order to your store. Might cost a couple bucks extra but worth it. Or We could do a meet-up here and add to your carry-on luggage or go for broke and bring a trailer up :)

Walked up and down every inch of my Sam's Club 3 times and couldn't find any. When I asked an employee they said they could only look up a quantity by scanning it, even though I had the UPC that was provided by others. How can you scan something I can't find?
both of the Sam's clubs I went in had them in the same isle as he shelving and storage bins.

I assume, like Costco, Sam's Club (operative word being "club"), requires a membership, yes?

Too bad. These look great!

And you failed to share? :whistle: :whistling:

View attachment 85254
I have dealt with items in Sams enough to know these were considered seasonal(which means they may or may not carry them in the future and for sure not year round) at the time I purchased mine and there was no link on their website, so i figured they were only in a few stores...and I took the boxing off in excitement so I couldn't even remember the brand to tell everyone.

That said I was in there the other day they had a whole new pallet so maybe these will become a standard stocking item.

Hey Everyone....My wife has been trying to find the Versa 1000 piece poker chip hard case for my birthday for two weeks now but its out of stock everywhere. I stumbled on to this thread and I'm intrigued. I'll be moving up from two budget silver cases (500 & 300) with the dice chips that I've been lugging around. I am upgrading to a tournament and cash set of Majestics and had planned to buy some chip racks too that I would carry around in a backpack with extra decks of cards, etc. I was looking for something to carry everything in an never thought about this. Great idea.

So...I play to have about 900-1000 chips, 8 decks of cards, racks, normal dealer buttons, cut cards, etc. The bulk will be the chips / cards. I have imagined to have a separator in the middle to keep cash chips on one side and tournament chips on the other. That would be nice but not a necessity. I honestly don't see the need for wheels on my case at this time.

What is the most efficient size Pelican case would you recommend that I wouldn't be completely cramped in?

Pelican 1520. Just picked up my second one this morning. Absolutely love it. You could probably get away with a smaller one, but this gives you some room to expand...

Wheels will be nice if you add chips. 1000 chips with everything else can get heavy. I wouldn't trade my 1510 for anything. See pics above.

Pelican 1520. Just picked up my second one this morning. Absolutely love it. You could probably get away with a smaller one, but this gives you some room to expand...
I guess I'm on the opposite side of the coin. My resistance to the pelicans is the size. I don't need room to expand. I don't want something a foot deep. I just want a chip case I can carry by the handle and not worry about the handle or the latches breaking off. I guess the versa is the way to go, I just hate their laylur for 1000 chips, and the next smallest one isn't big enough.
Anything tat will hold 800 chips, won't break, and isn't huge or weird?

Agree with Sparty on the weight. I have over 1600 chips in mine, as well as 8 decks of cards and 4 dealer buttons. Not too bad getting in and out of the car, but i wouldnt want to carry it for a quarter mile :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom