Best Hard Case for Matsui Racks (1 Viewer)

Himewad

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I've got about 1200 Royals, and will be storing them in Matsui racks almost all of the time on a shelf. But if I need to transport my chips, I would prefer to get a case. I've seen that people like the Apache 3800 and Nanuk 910 cases. It appears the Apache 3800 is bigger than the Nanuk 910, yet the Nanuk costs about $20 more ($60 v $40).

Nanuk 910 stated interior dimensions: 13.2" x 9.2" x 4.1"

Apache 3800 stated interior dimensions: 14-15/16" x 10-9/16" x 6-11/16"

Seems that based on price and dimensions, the Apache 3800 is the obvious choice. Any negatives for either? Anyone tried both?

The main difference between Nanuk and Apache (and other clones) is the latch. The Nanuk PowerClaw latch requires a pinching action to open whereas all the others are just held by friction (even on my Pelican camera case).

I haven't ever had a problem with other latches but the Nanuk latch gives me incredible peace of mind, especially given the weight of poker chips. Other than that, they're just plastic boxes so essentially identical. The fit and finish/weather sealing on the more expensive ones may be better but that's about it.

I do like that latch, for sure. I watched a YouTube video last night comparing Apache to Nanuk to Pelican, and that was one of his takeaways (that the latch seemed more secure on the Nanuk). But he also said when you consider the price difference, the Apache probably makes up for that slight knock on the latch. Looks like the Apache 3800 (5.95 lbs) is almost twice as heavy as the Nanuk 910 (3.0 lbs). With 600 11g Royals in a case, that would be about 20.5 lbs vs 17.5 lbs fully loaded. And the larger interior dimensions means the foam can completely surround the Matsui cases in the Apache 3800, as opposed to the Nanuk 910 where it can only cushion the sides. At least from these pictures.

Apache 3800 - Royals.JPG
Nanuk 910 - Royals.jpg

Plus the Apache would give me the extra room needed to put a card deck case in there, as well as dealer buttons.

With Royals, the Apache makes sense. They’re easily replaceable chips if the worst happens. For more expensive ones, Nanuk all the way. No point saving $20 for chips that are $300+ per rack!

The main reason I have so many 910s is that I was able to get them on sale for around $30 each.

@Himewad, what case did you go with, or have you not made a decision yet?

I have 500 Royals in Bud Jones 43mm racks. Are those comparable to the Matsui’s?

You know, I should just troll/follow all your post since end up doing basically the same thing you do. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

@Himewad, what case did you go with, or have you not made a decision yet?

I have 500 Royals in Bud Jones 43mm racks. Are those comparable to the Matsui’s?

You know, I should just troll/follow all your post since end up doing basically the same thing you do. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I've noticed that :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It's funny you asked about the cases, though, because my Matsui racks just arrived yesterday, and today over lunch I am going to my local Harbor Freight store to pick up an Apache 3800 case. They are on sale for $36.99 and there is a 25% discount I can stack, as well. If it looks like it's going to work well, I'll pick up a second case because I've got about 1400 Royals that I'll need to transport from time to time. I think I can fit 7 Matsui racks in each case if stacked on their sides. I'll just need to rubber band the racks closed, because the lids don't attach - they just sit there.

And no, the Bud Jones racks are a different style than the Matsui racks. The Bud Jones are a typical "open" rack. If you stack them vertically, the bottom of the top rack will sit on the chips in the lower rack. Some people don't like the weight of the upper chips being on the lower chips. The Matsui racks are enclosed, and the racks themselves bear the weight of the racks that are stacked on top of them.

Just picked up the Apache 3800. This will be perfect for my needs. Under $30 even after sales tax. No brainer.

B25108B2-6694-487C-824D-7B55AEC5188D.jpeg

It really does weigh 6 pounds. I was hoping that was misstated (as is sometimes the case). It's solid, that's for sure.

It was also the last one on the shelf. Glad I went to the store today.

Last edited:
Apache 3800 definitely fits 7 Matsui racks on their sides. I like that you see the chip faces this way.

9B4ECBE7-E99A-46AE-A725-CDA233A72FEA.jpeg

I haven’t sprayed with plasti-dip yet because I want to get the foam dimensions correct first. This layout has two “lines” of outer edge foam on the sides and bottom (when carrying the case), and one line at the top. Seems to be just a bit snug on the sides but I’m worried that taking out one more line of foam will make it too loose. Hmmmmmm.

61EC1A56-3EF9-4319-ABAA-D59532146A8F.jpeg

I decided against the above Matsui rack orientation in my Apache cases. While I like seeing the chip faces, I didn't want to rubber band the racks shut to avoid spilling the contents. I ended up going with this configuration. And the chips look just as pretty.

APACHE 3800 - CASE 1.jpg
APACHE 3800 - CASE 2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom