Best Fully Custom Chipset of 2022, First Round: Canoe Club vs. Ice Cardroom (2 Viewers)

Which Set Do you Like Best?

• Canoe Club

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Ice Cardroom

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMC9389 and @NotRealNameNoSir , post photos to garner votes
Deal, but just out of respect for The Canoe Club! Beautiful set, very well done.

Inspiration for The Ice Cardroom
The Ice Cardroom Reveal & Finished product thread

I'm not sure my set belongs in this competition but I'm madly in love with it, so dance with the gal that brought you to the dance. Full description of why each and every color was chosen, and I'll list them in a spoiler tag below the pictures. Ceramic 43mm no-molds. This was the first custom anything I'd ever purchased and it completely blew me away. @mattross1313 did a fantastic job, and I'm honored to own it. My players love it, I love it, and its improved my game. And yes, they still ask me what each chip is worth.

20221218_193740.jpg

20230408_123446.jpg
20221218_204853.jpg
20221218_204817.jpg

20230115_205302.jpg

Denominations, I needed a microstakes set but wanted to handle higher stakes for occasional bigger games. The $100s, I'll probably never use, but they're beautiful and for how cheap they are, I might as well add them on.

$0.05: Stark white glacier and snow. Most of the land was white and its blinding. This represents the plentiful ice and snow, with a little purple magic thrown in.

$0.25: This is safety orange. We'd suit up in full body suits of near this color, our ship was this color; when working at sea in dangerous environments the last thing you want is camouflage. I've saved people in these waters, and I was shown in HBO Vice's "Our Rising Oceans" episode in my getup deploying some of our robots. Fantastic camera crew, they'd just come from North Korea with Dennis Rodman, inSANE stories from that crew. These represent the science and teamwork the workhorses in several different meanings, with the ever present ocean represented in the dark blue accents.

$1: That light blue is 1. my wife's favorite color, so couldn't escape that one being included, but 2. dense glacial ice. Ice has this fascinating trait: the denser and older it is, the clearer it is. So we can see some ice that's fairly new being bright white because of light bouncing around, but occasionally you can see straight through an iceberg a few meters thick; that ice has been around longer than the United States. This chip represents the noble icebergs and the age of where we were; cores through these glaciers and icebergs are more valuable than the gold accents, telling us exactly what the earth and climate were like during periods of history.

$5: The reason for my field season, dark blue represents the ocean. Few times a week we would go out and sample this beast and it could decide how our day went. Our instruments drop into inky blackness and sometimes the surface is glass while other days have us holding on and debating retreat. This chip represents the Southern Ocean, deep and dark and light and shallow, and with it, the global conveyor belt.

$20s: I was lucky enough to be at Palmer Station where we have many sunrises and sunsets. If you're at the South Pole you have one sunrise and one sunset a year! Otherwise it spins above you. During the peak of Palmer's summers, we'll have nights that are 2 or 3 hours along, never truly getting dark. Its surreal, being in a hottub and its bright light out after a full sampling period. Blackout curtains are a must for morale. The winters are the opposite...days of mostly darkness. On the bright side, its easier to drink all day when its only 90 minutes long! This chip represents the bright pink sunsets we'd get, breathtaking...and if you looked closely, on certain days in certain conditions, you can see the mythical green flash as the sun passes the horizon.

$100s: I said I wasn't going to do a green chip! No grass or trees or cash, we leave all of that behind. But the reason for me being there was primary productivity: phytoplankton and algae give us half the oxygen on Earth and get no credit. I study this amazing process and wanted to immortalize it in the greens and blacks I was so fond of. Spending hours collecting, filtering, and analyzing this data makes me fond of the bottom of the foodchain. These chips represent phytoplankton, and therefore life as we know it.

Attachments

• 20221218_184040 (1).jpg
    20221218_184040 (1).jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221218_190059.jpg
    20221218_190059.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom