Av8tion Poker: Custom Table Build (2 Viewers)

Av8tion

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Well folks, now that the chips are bought and delabeled and awaiting a care package from @Gear, it's time to work on the next part of finishing off the Av8tion Poker experience... the table...

I am going to go with a custom design, and like the chips it will most likely go through dozens if not hundreds of alterations before I decide on a final product...

SHAPE:
This is the first issue I have. The area the table will occupy is limited in width but not so much in depth... I don't like having a ton of players at one poker table and I like playing mixed games, so this table is designed for 8 players max, or 7 players with a dedicated dealer... for an idea of size, here's a 7-foot folding table I refelted for my birthday located where the new table will go...
e07c46e7f533bb11f0568cb9a99f1a02.jpg

With these limitations in mind, I decided on a non-standard poker table shape inspired by the table designs of some of the various televised poker shows that have gone around... the plain oval just seems boring and I wanted a piece that stands out as unusual but finctional... and after an hour or so of modeling I came up with this general idea:
6272a650a5af395c72232520f4aede9d.png

The table is 7' wide and 4'6" deep with a 5" deep rail raised up 1"

I'm looking for initial feedback about the initial design. DO NOT COMMENT ABOUT COLORS OR ANYTHING BUT THE PHYSICAL DESIGN OF THE TABLE... the colors are placeholders to provide contrast between the different elements of the design and in no way represent what the thing will look like when it's done.... it looks a little crowded with the computer chairs surrounding it (won't be using those for the actual table...) but since I can fit 8 chairs comfortably on the above 7' oval table and this should have more circumference than that... I'm not sure it should be an issue...

Looking forward to hearing some feedback!

I like it!

What are your thoughts about elbow space and chip stacking space for 4 players who have to share the 2 'corners'?

Seems like their space may overlap.

I think those on the straightaway will be closer to the center than the diagram would suggest

reminds me of a blackjack table.

you should develop a oval that takes a leaf like dining room tables expand.

After agreeing that it kinda looks like a blackjack table, the difficulties in getting the people in the corner their own space, and the really odd-shaped betline this would require... I went back to the old-fashioned boring oval shape for the 2.0 design... same 1" raised rail but 8' length, figuring if nobody sat at the extreme end I would have enough room for it... this is the rough sketch so far...

0e8b8f0b7572aa40c2c12bcf445183c5.png

I think the main question is, what is the widest the table can be to fit everyone comfortably in the room? If your table is for 8 people, there should be no reason to go 8' in length. That's just too long for 8 people. My 8 person table is 80 x 38. Eight fit comfortably. Playability wise, it is a little too narrow. To me, wider tables play much better. Soo... Go as wide as you can, and then determine the necessary length. You said your room is narrow, so you will probably need to go narrower than ideal, as you already know.

I think the main question is, what is the widest the table can be to fit everyone comfortably in the room? If your table is for 8 people, there should be no reason to go 8' in length. That's just too long for 8 people. My 8 person table is 80 x 38. Eight fit comfortably. Playability wise, it is a little too narrow. To me, wider tables play much better. Soo... Go as wide as you can, and then determine the necessary length. You said your room is narrow, so you will probably need to go narrower than ideal, as you already know.
No, length is the issue, not width... I'd much rather have a 7' table than an 8' table, and I can go out more than the typical 4' width.... my only concern is players being able to reach the center if I go too deep... and I don't think anyone's going to complain about having too much room...

You said your 2.0 table would be 8 feet long. Not sure why you would do that if length in the room was the issue. So, if you would like the table shorter, for 8 people, I would go with something like 80 x 44. Playability wise, rounder is better. Aesthetically, many people like to use the rule of length being 2x width, but I stand by making tables wider and shorter.

I'm not a wood expert, so not 100% sure. But I think you’re going to have issues finding plywood for that width and length.

I think plywood is standard at 4x8. Wider is available (Baltic birch) but I think it's 5x5.

I guess you can piece the rail together from multiple pieces.

Version 2.1: 7' long and 4'6" deep... looks to comfortably seat 8 without too much problems with reaching into the center...
I'm not a wood expert, so not 100% sure. But I think you’re going to have issues finding plywood for that width and length.

I think plywood is standard at 4x8. Wider is available (Baltic birch) but I think it's 5x5.

I guess you can piece the rail together from multiple pieces.
The Barrington tables a lot of us have are 7' long and 3'6" wide. I seat 8 all the time on mine and we are comfortable. Not sure what you want the extra foot of width for ....................................

The Barrington tables a lot of us have are 7' long and 3'6" wide. I seat 8 all the time on mine and we are comfortable. Not sure what you want the extra foot of width for ....................................
And so they are... for some reason I thought it was 7' x 4'.... next revision will be 7' x 4' since I feel the folding table is a bit too narrow...

No octagons... I think they look terrible... besides, I'm not committed to 8 people.... that's just the max players for mixed games...

started working on the custom felt ideas... inside of the betting line is done...
f8fa455f34ec3f9017f64a40c26d9be3.png

*note: the blue felt outside the betting line is a placeholder... much more interesting stuff to come...

The betting line looks a little far from the rail?
That's intentional... I like having the area inside the betting line smaller to give players more room to stack mountains of chips and shuffle / count out their chips without any betting line controversy...

Also... more progress on the playing surface and rail... now nearing on felt-of-the-year material...
8e978adde8cb1744659ab606fd8a85c0.jpg

Last edited:
Liking the table progress, can't go wrong with the classic oval shape.
I like the felt design, other than the rectangle in the centre - I assume this is for the flop cards to sit neatly inside?
Having these printed on larger tables irk me a little (unless you are always having a dedicated dealer), the players on the outer edges of the oval will have no hope of getting the flop cards inside the rectangle without standing up.

Just finishing up the design of the base and attaching it to the table model... I loved the boomerang pedestal idea from some high-class pool tables I've seen as well as @T_Chan's creations... and I wanted to modify the design a bit to make it my own... and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... Also added some gold metallic trim to the underside of the outer rail... still trolling the forums and other custom table sites for more good ideas to add to or modify this table, but I gotta be honest... I wasn't expecting to be able to design something this awesome on my own... I have very limited experience with CAD...

TL;DR look at the pretty pictures:
bf27533dd17b4b34286f3932bb4d4643.jpg

5a1637eff1f2a0c604f634e127ffebb9.jpg

edit: found a metallic gold texture that doesn't look like plywood....

Last edited:
Love the design. A tip for your renders in sketchup. When you draw an arc or circle, after it's been drawn enter "50s" or "100s" which will give you smoother curves. Sketchup doesn't make circles, but rather polygons, and their default is something like 24 sided polygon as a "circle". Changing it to more sides gives you a rounder curve even though it's still technically a polygon. Once you do it once, all curves afterwards default to the same setting.

They've even got a browser based version now, it used to be download only.

Drawing a poker table with the program isn't super hard, but if you've never used any 3D modeling software before then it can be a steep learning curve.

This might help, a very old video back from the Scott Keen days. Closed Captions has instructions.

Just finishing up the design of the base and attaching it to the table model... I loved the boomerang pedestal idea from some high-class pool tables I've seen as well as @T_Chan's creations... and I wanted to modify the design a bit to make it my own... and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... Also added some gold metallic trim to the underside of the outer rail... still trolling the forums and other custom table sites for more good ideas to add to or modify this table, but I gotta be honest... I wasn't expecting to be able to design something this awesome on my own... I have very limited experience with CAD...

TL;DR look at the pretty pictures:
bf27533dd17b4b34286f3932bb4d4643.jpg

5a1637eff1f2a0c604f634e127ffebb9.jpg

edit: found a metallic gold texture that doesn't look like plywood....

Do you have building plans on how to construct this base?

I'd be interested in the process and materials being used. Is that circle with the 8 going to be glass framed in metal? Do you have a place that does custom glasswork? I'd be interested in something similar to hang on the wall for my poker room.

I'm just designing what I want on the table.... as for the materials and techniques, I'll leave that up to the builders... the centerpiece of the pedistal would most likely be acrylic instead of glass, lighted with probably the Av8 logo as a transparent background vinyl decal affixed to the outside... as this will be a $4-5,000 project if I'm lucky... I'm taking my time with ideas and finding out what works and what doesn't work...

Another interesting thought for the centerpiece is epoxy resin... with blue color additive and LED lighting around the edge, it could make for a really interesting project that I could probably create myself...

OK... this may be a little off the deep end... but I have in interesting idea for the pedestal centerpiece...
b3a614ea64ace6169cc4b1045a8b59bd.png

The blue section will be made out of blue-pigmented epoxy resin

The exterior edge will be made out of this feaux gold-diamond rhinestone wrap I found off of Amazon:
d977cd5818ba2260d4e963c256b5e57f.jpg

and the inside edge of the rhinestone wrap will have a thin LED strip attached to it

As for the Av8tion logo, I'm thinking the best and easiest solution is to use transparent vinyl decals to the centerpiece once it's finished...

The wiring for the LED lighting would go down through the bottom and into the pedestal base...

Let me know if this is a little too off-the-wall or if i'm missing something that would make this project un-doable... after all I'm new at all this...

That sounds like a fun idea. For the logo in the middle, why not use brass?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom