Are the Endys responsible for all the leaded compressed clays ever produced? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I knew that Paul Endy started Paulson with his sons. I knew BCC was started by either his sons or his brother? What I didn’t realize was that his father owned TRK - I just discovered that today.
What those three companies also have in common is that as far as I know, those are the only three companies ever to produced leaded compressed clays. I know other companies have used other metals to weigh their clays, and I know some companies have used lead slugs in the middle of their clays.
But is it true that this Endy family are the only people in the history of the world to produced leaded clay chips? That’s fascinating!

Yup. And as far as I know ASM/CPC has never mixed in lead to weigh their clay. I think they’ve used brass and probably other stuff too.
Burt Co. before ASM bought the assets would probably have used lead. Let’s be honest everyone used lead for everything until they found out its side effects.

Burt Co. before ASM bought the assets would probably have used lead. Let’s be honest everyone used lead for everything until they found out its side effects.
Well this is why I’m asking. Not that it really matters much, but these little facts fascinate me. I’ve read that Burt never used lead. But I’m eager to learn the truth

Know what brass often contains? Lead. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Yes and hot dogs often contain rat turds, but im not sure how relevant that is.
Point is, a lot of chippers are drawn to leaded chips. And if it’s actually true that the only guys who ever dumped lead into clay were all from the same family, that’s kind of interesting isn’t it?
Maybe it’s just me.

Well this is why I’m asking. Not that it really matters much, but these little facts fascinate me. I’ve read that Burt never used lead. But I’m eager to learn the truth
I’m just thinking that the put lead in toys as recently as 30 years ago so there’s a high likelihood that anyone who made chips will have used it.

Hold on while I light the @BGinGA signal…
IMG_8122.jpeg

Since they are all direct descendants wouldn’t it be logical the formula would have been shared? That’s the way it was in the trades when I was young. My family for instance is a three generation automotive technician(mechanic) business from father to son to son…..

Paul Endy started Paulson with his sons.
False. Paul Endy Sr. and sons Paul Jr. and Charles all worked at T.R.King.

In 1963, Paul Endy Jr. quit his job as T.R.King's top salesman and started the Paul-Son Dice and Card Co. in Las Vegas with partner Curley Ashworth.

His father, Paul Endy Sr., retired from T.R.King in 1963, and sold his half-ownership of the firm to partner George Davies in 1970.

In 1965, Paul-Son bought the Diamond mold and the Top Hat & Cane molds from Pat Sullivan (manager of Christy & Jones Co.). Burt Company began to produce unleaded THC chips for Paul-Son using the molds.

Also in 1970, Charles Endy (son of Paul Sr. and brother to Paul Jr.) left his job as General Manager at T.R.King and started the Top Hat and Cane Co., manufacturing compression leaded clay chips using a new process.

In 1975, Charles moved his chip-making business to Las Vegas and joined his brother Paul Jr. to create Paul-Son Gaming Supplies, Inc. The company was taken public in 1994, and was renamed Paul-Son Gaming Corporation. Paul Endy Jr. passed away in 1999.

During 1998-2002, Paul-Son began removing lead content from chip material formulas. Most colors were converted by 2002 except for five colors; all were relatively lead-free by 2005.

In 2002, Paul-Son Gaming Corp. entered into a reverse merger with Bourgogne et Grasset to form Gaming Partners International Corp. (GPI).

Also in 2002, Charles Endy and son Mike Endy started the Blue Chip Company (BCC), in Las Vegas, manufacturing clay chips using predominatly unleaded materials. BCC sold their assets to GPI in 2012.

AFIAK- the Endys have never been involved with ASM/CPC.
True, but they did have a business relationship with Burt Company (ASM's predecessor), who supplied them with unleaded THC mold chips prior to Paul-Son manufacturing their own leaded versions. Burt Co. also manufactured unleaded Lcrown mold chips for T.R.King.

Burt Co. before ASM bought the assets would probably have used lead.
Nope. Burt Co. never used lead in their chip material formulas, although they did use metallic weights (including lead) pressed into the chips under the inlay.

The origin of lead in clay chips goes way back to T.R.King, but it's not clear whether or not Paul Endy Sr. was involved at the inception. But the idea of using lead additives in clay chips was certainly entertained by Charles Endy after he left TRK, and became a primary ingredient in Paul-Son chips for nearly 30 years.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom