Any Chilli heads around here? (1 Viewer)

Puggy

Flush
Reaction score
My oh my, I have been bitten by chilli bug bad. I have been a chilli lover for a long time.
The stronger the better. My current level of hotness if somewhere between Habanero and
Naga Morich, closer to Naga, eating-wise.

I've also been raising for chillis for a couple of years. Now I have growing (also gotten some
crop already) lots of Cayennes, Habaneros, Hot Lemons, Jamaican Bells and Chiluacle Negros.
Some of the I will be shrinking to bonsai's next winter (=bonchi).

Jsut got my new seeds for next winter, including:
7pot, 7pot Brain Strain Yellow, Aji Benito, Aji Cristal, Bolivian Rainbow, Catarina, Congo Yellow,
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (maybe the strongest ever), Habanero Caribbean Red, Lemon Drop,
Peito de Moca, Pimenta Diomar, Prairie Fireand Tabasco Greenleaf.

Now....off to eat some cayennes.

Any other chilli heads around here?

My current favorite spice is this Naga Jolokia puree:

p_nagajolokiamurska.png

And I really can't wait to test Fatalii Gournet Jigsaw pods, when I get them grow first.
This dude has eaten one:
http://fatalii.net/kalle.mp4

i've got no real knowledge to contribute, but i would love to see some pr0n of the pepper crop, pug!

We can't grow peppers at home anymore. Can't keep the damn cast-iron-stomach dog from stripping the habanero plants. Loves 'em. Chomps them down (entire plant - fruit, leaves, stalks) and comes back asking for more. Otherwise, a pretty smart dog.

We can't grow peppers at home anymore. Can't keep the damn cast-iron-stomach dog from stripping the habanero plants. Loves 'em. Chomps them down (entire plant - fruit, leaves, stalks) and comes back asking for more. Otherwise, a pretty smart dog.
Wow... what breed of dog is it? I can't imagine the aftermath...

Awesome videos. And awesome dog :D
Yepp....Carolina Reaper might be the hottest at the moment. And the loo visit next day is always worst thing you just have to manage through somehow.
I ate a good amount of Ghost Pepper sauce yesterday with food and now I regret it. Again...

I'm a pepper fan as well, but I'm not as tolerant of the heat as I used to be. I've never really had a reason to go hotter than the Habanero, which has the worst flavor of any pepper I've tried so far. My current favorite flavor for fresh peppers is the Lemon Drop, which is deceivingly hot. Such a cute little yellow pepper, but wow they pack a punch. I had been making sauces with some success, but most weren't up to par and I get such varying results that it gets frustrating.

Last year I tried drying them in to pepper flakes and the results were fantastic. This year most of my small crop is going to be dried into flakes. I just throw a mix of whatever peppers I have, a mix of Jalapeno, Cayenne, Serrano, Lemon drop or whatever into the dehydrator and crush them up. Too easy. The concentrated heat of dried pepper flakes makes it easy to overdo it when adding to things, but the flavor is much more complex and interesting than store bought red pepper flakes.

I also have had good luck with fermented peppers and salsas. If you've never tried it you should look up lactic acid fermentation. It's easy, delicious, and your fresh veggies will keep a long time. I was enjoying fresh salsa well into winter before it was all gone, and I just finished up my jar of fresh fermented jalapenos. And you can do it with any vegetables you have. I fermented some green beans that got too big and tough, and it softened them up and they tasted great.

Wow, I'm a big fan of eating and growing chilis I have small garden with Thais, Habaneros and Piri Piri, Nice plants Sir but some of your plants are very green Pasi perhaps use too much nitrogen in fertilizer and watch pollinations between them can get pretty hybrids in my last harvest thais that can be eaten green or red were so spicy as Habaneros

Last edited:
Puggy,

Can you tell me exactly how you grew your plants in the pots? I used to garden outside, but the space has changed. I would like to do some plants in pots (tomatos, cukes, hot peppers). I have tried a couple of times but have failed. Maybe its the dirt I'm using, size of the pots, ect...

Thanks,

B

Wow... what breed of dog is it? I can't imagine the aftermath...

about a year ago I was watching my dog (rat terrier mix) that the ex-wife kept after our divorce and I came home to a horrible horrible smell that I could not find the source of. While I'm searching the house my kiddo starts yelling that Macy is throwing up. Dog goes outside, I clean up and yet still can't find the smell. Ex comes and picks up the dog and I warn her that the dog appears to be sick. Later that evening I am out in the garden and I get the feeling something is not right. I'm looking and looking and then it hits me, where the hell is the jalapeno plant???? Where it should be is just a hole. The dog ate the whole damn thing, plant, peppers, stem, roots et all. No wonder she was sick! BTW the horrible smell I finally found was under her bed in her kennel. It's like she pulled the bed out, did her thing and then put the bed on top to hide the evidence like a little kid; you literally couldn't see anything or tell that things were amiss unless you lifted the bed up. Needless to say it was the entire contents of her stomach, poor thing had to be sick from both ends to do that sort of damage. Can't imagine how bad that had to hurt coming out.

That video was too funny. Here in NC we are HUGE chili eaters. Enter contests the whole nine....I will post pics of our chili with recipes.... its a family affair for sure, but I wanted to share a story that will make you laugh your ass off... Please read and enjoy....from back in 2001

Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honored to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili cook-off, because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting. So I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.
FRANK: Holy Shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are fucking crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave over two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich . They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.
FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced. WTF "?

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC
JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.
FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.
JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.
FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. It hurts so bad I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.
FRANK: You could put a #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt. At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.
JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.
FRANK: - - - - - Mama?- - - (Editor's Note: Judge # 3 was unable to report).

Wayyy to go FRANK :D. Thanks for the laughs, Deezer. Awesome.
@detroitdad I will post something helpful tomorrow about how I grew them.
@orsonberger Yepp, I know I might get some mixed up species and flavors, but there really is nothing I can do about it. However I have used cotton swabs while flowering to help them to assimilate. That way I hve managed to keep the possible mixing up to minimum.

Here you can find some very good instructions for do-it-yourself chilli growing: http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers

Hi. Come on in. Today we'll serve some strong chicken cayenne with pineapple and onion sauce. Gonna be lots of cayennes :)

uploadfromtaptalk1438083158695.jpg

@detroitdad
So. Here in the nutshell. I planted the seeds to mold (soil, mould) at first. In the beginning of January. Only about 3-4 millimeters below the surface. The sock (hat) upwards. Some seeds I planted onto the wet surface, on top of toiletpaper on a styrofoam with water beneath. That way they were wet all the time. The seeds in the mold were also wet all the time. I had some lamps to give them light, room temperature about 26-27 degrees C.

20150127_204013.jpg

20150127_203946.jpg

20150127_204028.jpg

When there were big enough sprouts after, say, 4-8 weeks, depending on the plant, I transferred them to peat (turf). That is the best place to grow chillis. After that I let the dry from time to time to prevent mildewing. Notice that they have to have at least two pairs of leaves before transferring them from the original mold.

20150315_142412.jpg

When the plants were about 10-15 cm high and seemed strong enough, in late March, I began to give them some nutrition. I started to give them fertilizer. But one has to be careful with fertilizer at first, you might kill the plants at first with it, if you give it too much. The peat itself has some nutrition already.

Then I made sure they got dry from time to time and they just grew up. I am not an expert on this and I just go with me gut feel, whether they need water or dryness.

20150314_225841.jpg

20150413_175346.jpg

When they started flowering, if the plants was too small, I snipped the first flowers away to give more strength to grow.
And also, when I felt like it, I moved them into bigger pots, altough still some of them are in too little pots, but I just don't have room enough to put them any bigger ones.

20150506_204006.jpg

20150601_172629.jpg

20150601_172605.jpg

That's pretty much it.

Oh, probably the most important thing: When you start moving them into the sunlight, do it bery gently. First day, only half and hour, the next day a bit more. They have to get used to sunlight, otherwise you'll burn the plants and they will surely die.

Just let me know, if you need to know anything more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom