AA for Poker Chip Addiction (1 Viewer)

TriSki5280

Sitting Out
Supporter
Reaction score
I am hoping this forum will be like AA for my new poker chip addiction. I have been hosting a monthly game for almost 2 years. At the start, I picked up a couple of semi-custom sets from chiplab.com. The chips were their low-end plastic chips and for almost 2 years I didn't know any different. Then I needed to order some additional denoms and accidentally ordered the new chips in clay...life changing. When the new clay chips arrived I became obsessed with finding out why these were different than the rest of my chips. I started down a few rabbit holes on youtube and the next thing I new, I ordered 3 new custom sets from two different companies in matter of 3 days and dropped some serious cash. LOL...I'll post some pics of the sets when they arrive. I am new, but love the forum so far and glad to know I'm not alone in the universe! After looking at some of the pictures of other's sets and getting even more inspired, I am starting to design my 4th set.

You have found the right place to add to your addictive tendency. Welcome. You are among like minded people here.

F6EB6EC0-1C0B-418B-AFDD-2D13266C72A7.jpeg

I am hoping this forum will be like AA for my new poker chip addiction. I have been hosting a monthly game for almost 2 years. At the start, I picked up a couple of semi-custom sets from chiplab.com. The chips were their low-end plastic chips and for almost 2 years I didn't know any different. Then I needed to order some additional denoms and accidentally ordered the new chips in clay...life changing. When the new clay chips arrived I became obsessed with finding out why these were different than the rest of my chips. I started down a few rabbit holes on youtube and the next thing I new, I ordered 3 new custom sets from two different companies in matter of 3 days and dropped some serious cash. LOL...I'll post some pics of the sets when they arrive. I am new, but love the forum so far and glad to know I'm not alone in the universe! After looking at some of the pictures of other's sets and getting even more inspired, I am starting to design my 4th set.
Welcome to PCF. I suspect that PCF will only add fuel to the fire as you venture further down the rabbit hole. Wait until you learn about custom CPC chips, relabeling Paulson chips and your first @TheChipRoom sale.

White Rabbit GIF

Welcome, but I really dont think you understand the concept of AA lol. Very few of us are in recovery, we still at the bar.

I hope you were kidding about helping curb your poker chip addiction. If there's any place that can make another set sound reasonable even though you already have more than you know what to do with, this is that place. Before coming here I thought 30c/chip was too expensive, and now I'm trying to figure out how I can justify spending $6+/chip. Leave now before it's too late, but I know you won't listen so welcome to the bar and enjoy your time here.

I don't want to make light of an addiction as I'm a recovering alcoholic, so, if your serious about needing help with your addiction I'm happy to share my experience, strength and hope. But, if you're just looking for validation for your sickness, then, I can help there as well. Here, let me get you one more...
20230325_140315.jpg

In July I will have been a member for five years, and I finally feel like the addiction is under control. I certainly went through a period of obsession which led me to acquire a total of ~13,000 chips, maybe 9,000 of which I still own.

In this time I also developed the usual PCF fixations with chipping matters such as cleaning, flattening, color variation, edgespot progression, pricing, hoarding, etc.

I’ve at last settled down to two large cash sets (one Avalon/PCR, one custom spotted THC now in production) and two large tourney sets (one mixed Jacks/faux Jacks, one THC solids), each in the 1,000-1,300 chip range each. I also have a fifth potential set of vintage ASMs and newer CPCs for a project intended for an (extended) family vacation home, which may or may not come to fruition.

In theory I am now all set (pun intended), and will liquidate the excess in the coming months, roughly 3,000 chips.

It remains to be seen how long my 4-5 sets satisfy my chipping compunction. They are all very nice and serve all my possible hosting needs. In practice I should never need more. There is always the possibility of being tempted by something shiny and new (or dusty and old). But if I am honest with myself I should be able to stay “retired” for a while, if not permanently.

Want to come to AA with me? It’s held every Tuesday at Whitey’s Bar.

Welcome to PCF!

No, we're the guys sitting at the bar with you telling you "one more," even though you've already told your wife three times in the last hour that you'd be home in 15 minutes. Here, I got you another one...
View attachment 1121359
That is an incredible looking set!

In July I will have been a member for five years, and I finally feel like the addiction is under control. I certainly went through a period of obsession which led me to acquire a total of ~13,000 chips, maybe 9,000 of which I still own.

In this time I also developed the usual PCF fixations with chipping matters such as cleaning, flattening, color variation, edgespot progression, pricing, hoarding, etc.

I’ve at last settled down to two large cash sets (one Avalon/PCR, one custom spotted THC now in production) and two large tourney sets (one mixed Jacks/faux Jacks, one THC solids), each in the 1,000-1,300 chip range each. I also have a fifth potential set of vintage ASMs and newer CPCs for a project intended for an (extended) family vacation home, which may or may not come to fruition.

In theory I am now all set (pun intended), and will liquidate the excess in the coming months, roughly 3,000 chips.

It remains to be seen how long my 4-5 sets satisfy my chipping compunction. They are all very nice and serve all my possible hosting needs. In practice I should never need more. There is always the possibility of being tempted by something shiny and new (or dusty and old). But if I am honest with myself I should be able to stay “retired” for a while, if not permanently.
Initially I told myself I just needed one set to cover the 16 - 18 players we have each month for our cash game. Then I was thinking well maybe it would be worth having a cash set and a tournament set. Then I thought about a a limit set and then I started thinking maybe a set for special occasions or holidays...before I knew it, I had talked myself into "needing" several sets. I was able to get in on Classic Poker Chips latest run which is the set I am most excited about. Of course, you don't know what you don't know and now that I am here and learning, I am sure my needs will change.

Hello and welcome!

This is not AA, because it's not anonymous. We call each other out publicly! And often!
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

No, that is another chippers pron posted in another thread. Probably stolen from the chip room! :)

Welcome !
PCF new member… with your intro… Man you are in trouble… (like us) :LOL: :laugh:

Welcome to PCF, here is the opposite of AA

I ordered 3 new custom sets from two different companies in matter of 3 days and dropped some serious cash.
hmm, which company did you ordered from? I think you are going to be disappointed if you are only looking for Clay and the company you buying from is not GPI or CPC

At least I hope your serious cash is less than 50c per chip now

Have fun, but know there are people here who understand that chippers addiction is real, reach out anytime. My partner calls these chips ‘toys’ so I know these big purchases does impact life outside the forum. Hope your 4th set quenches the thirst

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom