9 ft pool table poker table topper (1 Viewer)

gmansbu

Pair
Reaction score
I host a weekly cash game. We currently play on top of my 9 foot pool table. The overall dimensions of the surface are 10’x5’ and 32’ tall. I’d love to get a poker table but there isn’t room for both that and my pool table. I would regret getting rid of the pool table to exclusively have a poker table. This being the case I would like to build or have built a custom poker table topper for my pool table. Here are some of my concerns/questions -
The topper will be huge. We’re currently playing on the same size surface so playability won’t be an issue. We’re all bigger guys and standing up to clear pots won’t be an issue. My concern is the topper will be massive. Will I be able to lift it off by myself when I want to play pool? Will it take 2 guys or more? Will my wife be able to help me?

Are there materials I can use instead of wood that might be lighter?

I would love to have the topper break down into 3 pieces to make it more manageable to move around and weight wise. I feel like that will make the project too complicated though.
Another concern is what the top of the table is made with. Almost everyone at my game smokes something and I get an occasional burn hole on the cheap leatherette pool table cover we currently play on. In a perfect world I would use more wood, but I feel that counterproductive since I’m trying to keep the weight down.

I feel like my best option is to ditch the pool table and get a traditional poker table, but I feel I’ll regret it. Can I dream of having everything and having a pool table and badass poker topper???? :)

Any advice, help, or feedback from the exports around here would be appreciated!

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but here’s what I did for mine:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/made-to-order-custom-table-toppers.96993/post-2099547

I figured I didn’t want an actual wood topper that goes above the rim of the pool table because it would sit too high, plus I like the raised edge from the bumpers of the table. Burning holes through the topper may be a problem… but you could just get two or find something to put underneath.

The fabric topper is a nice option. I was hoping for something more of a tabletop. Worse case I can resort to the fabric option if need be.

Burning holes through the topper may be a problem… but you could just get two or find something to put underneath.

... or just ask people not to smoke over the table. I'd go ballistic if someone put burn holes in my rail or (chanman) cloth.

32" tall is already a couple of inches higher than ideal for a rail so adding another layer with a full tabletop could be tricky if not using adjustable chairs. However if that isn't an issue then your could put a 3 or 4 piece plywood based tabletop that has a padded rail with an additional topper for a smooth surface that could be assembled by one person.

It's all about the height of the rail, and chairs, though - as well as ensuring knees and thighs aren't banging into the pool table.

The fabric topper is a nice option. I was hoping for something more of a tabletop. Worse case I can resort to the fabric option if need be.

It's not so much a fabric topper as it is a mat. Think extremely large mouse pad that the cards glide over. My buddy with a 9 foot pool table went with a custom topper for his as well. The mats are a great removable option. Even if you decided to make a dedicated removable topper as you described, the mat could be applied as an all in one padded fabric on top.

Height is fine, I don’t notice a huge difference between the pool table and a regular poker table. Only problem is the bottom, legs don’t go all the way under so it’s a little annoying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom