Cash Game 5 card stud advice (2 Viewers)

Sisu41

Pair
Reaction score
I'm thinking of playing 5 card stud because it's the simplest game to lure in new players, and also. They want a $5 buy-in, and no rebuys, so micro stakes. What should the small and big bets be? I was thinking 5c/10c but given it's a limit game that might not be enough.

As a big booster of 7 Stud, one of the few still left, I have to say 5 Stud like 5 Draw, is just to "narrow" too be a successful fun home game, certainly in the long run. Hey I love the "Cincinnati Kid" as much as anyone, but you'd be much better of going straight to 7 Stud or Hold 'Em even accounting for the slightly more complex nature of each. And they are not that much more complicated.

I removed 5 Stud from my dealer's choice option years ago. YMMV.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I'll do 7 card stud. I've been kinda tired of hold'em and I want to try a new, limit game. for a $5 buy-in, what should the denominations of small and big bets be?

I agree with @MeridianFC and I love that you don't want to play NLH! Omaha is typically the next step, but you seem to be wanting stud.

I would suggest 7 card stud 8 or better, it will give more action and is more dynamic. Its a split pot game so multiple winners.

Ok, maybe I'll do 7 card stud. I've been kinda tired of hold'em and I want to try a new, limit game. for a $5 buy-in, what should the denominations of small and big bets be?
.05/.10 or .10/.20 may be about right for $5. I prefer deeper so .05/.10. But those may be awkward for chip set breakdown if you have denominations on chips.

I’ve heard that nobody plays 5-card stud anymore because the game has been solved.
(I dont know the solution)

Ante - .05
Bring In - .10
Bet Streets 3-4 - .15 (players can match the bring in or complete the bet)
Bet Streets 5-7 - .30

You only need nickels, quarters, and some dollars. You can't really go lower unless you're playing straight up penny poker.

Ante - .05
Bring In - .10
Bet Streets 3-4 - .15 (players can match the bring in or complete the bet)
Bet Streets 5-7 - .30

You only need nickels, quarters, and some dollars. You can't really go lower unless you're playing straight up penny poker.
honestly penny poker isn't the worst idea for my group

5CS is very boring because you have almost complete information.

IF I was ever going to play 5CS I would either make it Pot/No Limit or have the cards dealt 2-3 or 1-3-1 DOWN-UP-DOWN

SCS Is the superior game in every respect - but I have to confess my favourite stud game is Razz!

Honestly I would just start with 7CS.

5CS is a dead game more or less. 7CS will have WAY more action and drawing to keep people interested.

In 5CS as soon as you take an unfavourable card you're basically obligated to fold. It rewards extremely patient, tight and disciplined play. A single pair will be the winning hand a majority of the time, straights and flushes won't realise their equity like they could being (rarely) dealt in 5 Card Draw because they'll fold on 2nd or 3rd Street before their hand takes shape.

It's not a ball of fun for a microstakes home game.

7CS on the other hand is a game where it's very easy to make a hail mary gin card on 7th street, or have players with 3 way (flush, straight, 2 pair or low if playing S8) draws on 6th Street. The additional ambiguity of 3 downcards also helps keep things interesting.

Another alternative that uses traditional hand rankings, can be played fixed limit, and is probably well understood by most players is 5 Card Draw. I have found recreational players love the lack of information and "gamble" that comes with playing "cowboy poker"

I think draw would be fun too. I'm just tired of hold'em and PLO is probably too complex for my group right now. Maybe a mixed game of 5CD and 7CS. We might only be 3 handed so OFCP is possible

the simplest game to lure in new players
As much as I like Stud, I'm pretty sure the simplest game is hold'em.

If you're tired of it, rotate some pineapple (and then crazy pineapple) in as that will be the easiest transition for new players.

Last edited:
Do 10¢/20¢ limits with 5¢ bring in and a 2¢ ante. (Alternative rotate a table ante for 15¢.)

Using ones and fives and pennies and nickels would probably work out okay. This is 25 big bets for $5, that's usually a pretty good bit of play in a limit game.

5 card stud is a fun game, but it is limited with one hole card. I think the river-down variant (unlike as played in "The Cincinnati Kid") is better. 7 card stud is fine as well. In either case you play the first two streets on the lower limit and the remaining streets at the higher limit.

that surprises me actually. It feels like there are so many combinations of cards and bets
To apply modern hold'em strategy lingo, it's very easy to cap your opponents ranges in 5 card stud with only one hidden card.

Consider...

An opponent can never have a full house without two-pair or three-of-a-kind in their upcards.
An opponent can never have a flush without four of one suit showing.
An opponent can never have a straight without four up cards that are either consecutive or have at most one gap.
An opponent can never have more than merely one pair with four unpaired unrelated upcards.

In seven card stud with 3 down cards, an opponent can always theoretically have four of a kind.

I think this is a big reason seven card stud became more favorable after five card stud.

So based on one's own holdings and the average strength of an opponents' hand for any given combination of four upcards, one could develop an ideal strategy.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I mentioned before that I was tired of Hold'em
I was being a little tounge-in-cheek of course. Six-Card-Stud and Five-Card-Stud river down are different because stud games are not communal the same way hold'em games are. But the more cards hidden the more possibilities opponents have to consider.

As much as I like Stud, I'm pretty sure the simplest game is hold'em.

If you're tired of it, rotate some pineapple (and then crazy pineapple) in as that will be the easiest transition for new players.
This is exactly how I started to introduce mixed games to my group, tried a few but crazy pineapple was the easiest transition for my group coming from almost exclusively hold em

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom