3rd Party USPS/Mailing Services (Scam?) (1 Viewer)

Senzrock

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
It was probably bad timing for me to list some sales right before the holidays but here we are. My local USPS here in NYC has had crazy lines outside any time I’ve tried to go to mail some things out. Yesterday morning, looking at another long line, my wife suggested we go to one of those 3rd party “mailing services” spots that say they facilitate USPS mail.

Before I walked over, I called the spot to make sure I could mail a flat rate USPS package from their place. I found it mildly suspicious that the woman on the line told me in VERY STRONG terms that she would highly advise me to stay away from USPS and ship FedEx or a similar service that they also offer. She stated “everything has been getting lost” through USPS, which sounded a little strange to me. Still, she said that they do handle USPS packages so I decided to head over. I joked with my wife on the way over they they probably hate on the USPS because they don’t make much $ simply printing people postage for those packages.

When we arrived and I went up the counter, the co-owner immediately saw my stack of USPS packages and got ready to tell me the bad news. “25 of all packages sent through USPS around this time of year have been getting lost.” I had never heard such a (seemingly outrageous) claim but he went on to explain that because of the holidays and staffing situation at USPS, coupled with the virus, had led to historic amount of lost packages. “If you have anything you can’t lose, I would never ship USPS, it’s not reliable.” After another minute of clarifications on my end (he also told me that anything I sent via USPS yesterday would arrive “the third week of January”), he suggested I send my package via FedEx and quoted me a $79 price for my medium sized flat rate USPS box (reboxed) including ~$2000 insurance and a signature. He told me that USPS would charge $92 for the same service. At the time the $92 seemed like much more than I have spent at USPS but it was getting to be a stressful situation with a long line behind me, so I agreed to the FedEx.

On my way home I looked at the USPS website and calculated it costing me closer to $40-45 total with USPS, making me even more annoyed I didn’t trust my instincts. Has anyone had similar experiences with these 3rd party services? Anyone heard this claim of USPS “losing 25% of packages during this holiday period?”

Curious to hear how much of a scumbag this dude really was which will inform my next steps re: leaving public reviews and requesting an apology.

Anyone heard this claim of USPS “losing 25% of packages during this holiday period?”
I haven't heard that claim but it certainly feels that way. I am still waiting on several packages that were shipped end of November/beginning of December. Tracking history not giving me much hope lol.

Haven’t used them myself. But I’d recommend buying postage from pirateship.com, taping it to your packages, and dropping them off at the post office (without having to wait in line). Saves me a ton of time and trouble.

I just use the APCs during off hours. Always walk in and out within 2-3 minutes. Might not be doable in some locations, but we have 5 open 24/7.

Automated postal carriers (or Units). Do it yourself machines that are installed in some post offices, and you drop off the package into a slot. Super easy and safe.

Oh, and alot of Post Offices have reserved spots up front to use it and cut the line.

Last edited:
Never seen or heard of this. Cray cray
Its self checkout. We have two set up at each main post office, and it can do everything but International. Most people like going thru the lines for stamps and such, but these can do that too. I go in at 7am on my way to work, never a line. I can do 6 packages in 2-3 minutes. And I know they are at least delivered into the post office and not some random box.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Self-Service-Kiosks

They have maps to find them in your area in that link. Hope it helps!

Last week our mailman said the sorting offices in Rochester were so backed up that all the management folks were pulling 12+ hour days in the sorting line and there were 18-wheelers parked around the block because there was nowhere to unload.

His impression was that holidays + Covid-driven increase in online shopping + more than normal number of people out sick + funding cuts all added up to a uniquely bad situation.

Last week our mailman said the sorting offices in Rochester were so backed up that all the management folks were pulling 12+ hour days in the sorting line and there were 18-wheelers parked around the block because there was nowhere to unload.

His impression was that holidays + Covid-driven increase in online shopping + more than normal number of people out sick + funding cuts all added up to a uniquely bad situation.
Yeah makes total sense, and that’s what I understand as well, just was curious if others had experiences of these other mailing services taking advantage of the situation etc. I certainly don’t blame the USPS with what they are up against these days.

Haven’t used them myself. But I’d recommend buying postage from pirateship.com, taping it to your packages, and dropping them off at the post office (without having to wait in line). Saves me a ton of time and trouble.
Why not just buy postage from USPS and drop it off, avoiding lines? How is pirateship better?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom