Tourney 15 player game - help with chip values please (1 Viewer)

logan_ninefingers

Reaction score
Hi. I've been playing a monthly game with a few mates for years, but we always play the same way and I'm pretty green to the slang of poker, browsing the foru,m is making my head swim, so apologies if this has been asked a million times before

I'm having a home game this weekend. We have 15 players (me and my 7 mates who play regularly, plus 7 wives) and I am hoping to have 5 or so stacks for re buys early on, so 20 stacks in all.

Tournament style (I think ie everyone pays real $$ to play and the last man or woman standing takes the lot). 2 tables to start, 1 table when there are 8 left.

I have a chip set with 200 white, 200 red, 100 blue and 100 green.

If they are distributed evenly across 20 stacks that's 10 white, 10 red, 5 blue and 5 green per stack.

I'm really struggling to come up with the best chip value. Can anyone suggest one that would suit our game? When its usually just me and my mates we use $10,$20,$50,$100. But there is usually only about 5/6 of us, 2 table

For this game I thought $1,$5,$10,$25 but would that not render the white pretty useless after a few rounds? Its hard to figure out without actually playing and we have never had a game this big before so I was hoping for advice from some home game experts out there.

Im hoping for each game to go for 2.5 hours or so, so sorting out the blinds and intervals will be much easier once I have the chip values sorted.

Thanks in advance!

Off the top of my head I would do something like this. I’m used to a T25 structure (smallest chip denomination) maybe others have ideas for T100 for example.

White = T25
Red = T100
Blue = T500
Green = T1000

Give everyone T5k to start with the following number of chips:

12/12/3/2

Blinds:

25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
150/300 - color up T25s using T500s
200/400
300/600
400/800
600/1200
800/1600 - color up T100s using T1000s
1000/2000
1500/3000 - should end around here
2k/4k

If you make the rounds between 10 and 15 minutes each, it should be around 2,5 hours in total.

For 15 players I would extend payouts to 1st/2nd/3rd/4th with about half of the prize pool going to the winner.

Youre struggling because you dont have an ideal color breakdown. You really need 5 different chips unless you want everyone to have a million chips. Typically the 5th chips and highest value chips are used for rebuys to keep the chip stacks manageable. Also with 15 people to have the game end at 2.5 hours is nearly impossible unless you want the blind structure so insane that no one has fun. To reasonably make it 2.5 hours you need to do zero rebuys and start everyone off with 100 bb’s at most.

Right, I forgot about rebuys. But you’ll have some spare 500/1k-chips for that. They can make change at the table. Although with rebuys you can expect the tournament to last longer.

But yes, the breakdown of your set is definitely less than optimal

Most 2 table tournaments I play are typically between 6-8 hours long. To condense the structure that much, it would basically become a shove fest within the first few levels. If that's what your players like, then go for it.

I'd just do 1 longer game and pay 3-4 people instead of a bunch of shorter games. Gives more room for strategy and deep stack play vs just going all in preflop in level 4 because you're already short and need to double very quickly. Especially paying just one, the only way to win is to get it all in and hope for a couple double ups early on. Otherwise you'll just blind out at the final table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom