The Watch Thread (9 Viewers)

This got me interested in working on watches. I inherited this after my dad died. It’s a 1961 Hamilton K-420, only made for one year. Adjusted for inflation this was about a $1000 watch, so I suspect it was originally my grandfather’s (who I never met) as my dad would have been 20 years old and poor in 1961.

Took me a couple of years to get myself tooled up and skilled enough to service it. Turns out I’m pretty good at it considering my training is trial and error, videos, and practice. It runs perfectly now, +/- 2 seconds a day.

Turned it into a nice side hobby / side hustle. It has funded a lot of fun toys.

Attachments

• IMG_8193.jpeg
    IMG_8193.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8194.jpeg
    IMG_8194.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8195.jpeg
    IMG_8195.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8196.jpeg
    IMG_8196.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 21
Why the surprise? Collectible cars don’t get driven. Watches don’t get worn. Designer bags sit in their boxes. Toys in original packaging. Booster cards in original wrap.

All PP cares about is everyone associating their name with the creation of this piece.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/custom-2011-ferrari-sp30-berlinetta-auction-1235605091/

Guess how many miles this has on it before scrolling too far down.
I'm just someone who believes in using things, all the things. I'm not saying that I don't have certain items that are cared for a lot more carefully and used less than others but I generally try not to have/buy things that I won't use. I get that some people buy things solely for the investment side of it and I don't see anything wrong with that per say but its not typically my style. I'm not amazing at it but I try to cull my collections of things every so often to move out things that arent being enjoyed.

Hey how do you tell the age of a Rolex? There’s a contest in board here to win one but you have to guess the age

Hey how do you tell the age of a Rolex? There’s a contest in board here to win one but you have to guess the age
Take a pic of it including the case back and the crown. I’m sure it won’t be that easy or obvious.

I’ll only be able to look at it through an acrylic display case. So I’m gathering it won’t be easy
I mean. It can’t be something as simple as guess the year right? If 50 people each cover one year from 1965-2015 that would basically guarantee a winner. And what happens if more than 1 person guesses the correct year?

I mean. It can’t be something as simple as guess the year right? If 50 people each cover one year from 1965-2015 that would basically guarantee a winner. And what happens if more than 1 person guesses the correct year?
Haven’t made it there. Here’s what I know. Cruise ship contest, you probably get an effy charm for winning

IMG_3820.jpeg

Haven’t made it there. Here’s what I know. Cruise ship contest, you probably get an effy charm for winning
Oh I thought you win the watch. It's probably just a clone like mine, probably cheaper. There looks to be more than one anyway with the gold one in the same shot.

What would you guess? Reasonably?
In any case, if it’s the picture, it looks to me like a datejust 36mm ref 16014 with the fluted bezel and the diamond hour markers, with the pink / champagne face.

Production years were 1977-1988, with this particular color available only after 1983. So, between 1984-1988.

In any case, if it’s the picture, it looks to me like a datejust 36mm ref 16014 with the fluted bezel and the diamond hour markers, with the pink / champagne face.

Production years were 1977-1988, with this particular color available only after 1983. So, between 1984-1988.
It was 1984

But a few days late, lol. They took everyone who was right and put them into a drawing for a fucking hat. I didn’t win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom