Rolling Stone's 70 Greatest Comedies of the 21st Century (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Rolling Stone just released another of its infamous lists, this time, taking on ranking the 70 greatest comedies of the 21st century.

Obviously, such a subjective list is sure to come under scrutiny, but as an overall collection, it’s hard to fault it — sure, there are some ridiculous entries, like “Spy” at 28, and, (mind bogglingly,) “Idiocracy” in the top 10.

There are also a few movies in there that I haven’t even heard of, so excited to check them out.

Thoughts?

Rolling Stone just released another of its infamous lists, this time, taking on ranking the 70 greatest comedies of the 21st century.

Obviously, such a subjective list is sure to come under scrutiny, but as an overall collection, it’s hard to fault it — sure, there are some ridiculous entries, like “Spy” at 28, and, (mind bogglingly,) “Idiocracy” in the top 10.

There are also a few movies in there that I haven’t even heard of, so excited to check them out.

Thoughts?
Bridesmaids at #3?! That ranking is pure comedy itself...

Some of my favorite movies are on there and I'm not sure if I ever thought of them as leaning into the comedy genre enough to be on this list, especially as high as a few of them are.

Burn After Reading is very good, make sense to me.

Sideways and In Bruges-ok yeah, I guess those were more comedy than I first remembered.

But- Punch Drunk Love and Adaptation? Both a few of my favorite movies ever, but very surprised to see them on a “comedy” list and very, very surprised to see Punch Drunk Love where it is.

I think I've seen five or six of these. Half of those I turned off part way through.

Most on that list I haven't even heard of.

That said, most of what is popular in comedy anymore I just don't find funny at all. I'm also clearly not the target audience for Rolling Stone. :oops:

I think I've seen five or six of these. Half of those I turned off part way through.

Most on that list I haven't even heard of.

That said, most of what is popular in comedy anymore I just don't find funny at all. I'm also clearly not the target audience for Rolling Stone. :oops:

X2 - woof, that list is laughable.

But their #1 movie of the 21st century is listed as having been released in the 20th century... ????? :unsure:

If they wanted a Christopher guest comedy in the 21st century they should have put A Mighty Wind (2003) which is in the same vein as Best in Show but funnier

biggest list of 'meh' i've ever seen. I guess I can appreciate the fact someone took the time to just list 70 random comedies and put some good ones near the top.
Well done RS.

Last edited:
In 2022, lists like these are compiled almost solely to generate controversy which then leads to page clicks. That being said, I had to go through the list twice and I didn't see "The Hangover," which seems odd considering its the highest grossing R rated comedy of all time, had two sequels, and launched and/or elevated numerous careers of people involved.

It's like the best college campuses. It's very subjective.

25ish entries in I WTF:ed but then there were some good mentions. How they skipped this is beyond me though

337516F0-F65A-484C-97AE-4D331C43AAE1.jpeg

And ”Thor”? Come on. D- list

I liked reading the list. It reinforces in me that comedy is dead since about 2012, and it would be their lucky day if even one of these made it into a legitimate top ten ever list.

Dewey Cox wasn't that great IMHO. 40 Year Old Virgin should be in that spot.

Apparently the rock I live under is bigger than I thought because I've seen zero of the top 20 listed.

Well, High Fidelity is on there, so the list isnt complete crap. Although a comedy? This might be my most recommended movie for people to watch, and I never told anybody it's a comedy.

I actually loved Bridesmaids. Also, where's Pitch Perfect? Come on, GIRLSS! Ocascuseme? You better ocabelieveit.

40 year old virgin I thought was pretty ground breaking, should be way higher on the list.

The Great Teninbaums was unwatchable.

Apparently the rock I live under is bigger than I thought because I've seen zero of the top 20 listed.
As an experiment, I looked up the top comedies from 2019. I live under the same rock as you, because I had heard of maybe one or two of them. And zero of them seemed appealing enough to me to seek them out and watch them.

Reading the list, I'm reminded of an older friend who managed movie theaters for Cinemark for many years Before the pandemic, when business was very slow, he'd quietly say the problem was "the product."

Translation: The movies being produced by Hollywood all sucked.

It has basically become marvel, remakes, and politically correct stuff. People went to the movies to have a break from life, not get preached to.

I think it was Matt Damon who said that movies can't be made the same way as studios want more guaranteed/ensured results it's difficult to do anything original or risky

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom