Posting from France... (1 Viewer)

pltrgyst

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
One of the interesting things about posting from France -- apart from having the little French flag under my username -- is that the ads embedded at the top of most PCF pages are French ads, which, of course, are mostly lost on me. :cool:

One of the interesting things about posting from France -- apart from having the little French flag under my username -- is that the ads embedded at the top of most PCF pages are French ads, which, of course, are mostly lost on me. :cool:

The French are adept at finding ways to defeat capitalism.

The French are adept at finding ways to defeat capitalism.

Then they're not doing a very good job lately. One of the more depressing aspects of touring France today is the number of American products. Not only brand names -- of course, McDs, Bugger KIng, Charbucks, and Subway are all over the place -- but even worthless products such as 1/4 inch thick junk sold as "American Bread" in grocery stores (Franprix, Carrefours, etc.)

Another sad point is that huge American-style portions have caught on big everywhere.

Globalization is not the nirvana it's often cracked up to be...

Hope you are having a great time Larry :)

Thanks, we really are. Three more days here, then two final days in London.

Tons of foodie and other pics on my Facebook page for those who can filter out the political crap. We drove almost 2,000 miles all around France, so this last week in Paris is a welcome rest. Home will look awfully good on Sunday, though!

Then they're not doing a very good job lately. One of the more depressing aspects of touring France today is the number of American products. Not only brand names -- of course, McDs, Bugger KIng, Charbucks, and Subway are all over the place -- but even worthless products such as 1/4 inch thick junk sold as "American Bread" in grocery stores (Franprix, Carrefours, etc.)

Another sad point is that huge American-style portions have caught on big everywhere.

Globalization is not the nirvana it's often cracked up to be...

I hear you Larry. I admired the Dutch for keeping Starbucks out for so long...not sure when they finally littered the landscape....

Tons of foodie and other pics on my Facebook page for those who can filter out the political crap. We drove almost 2,000 miles all around France, so this last week in Paris is a welcome rest. Home will look awfully good on Sunday, though!

Hey Larry, if you think about it while in London, could you get me one of the Shakespeare £2 coins? If you can't find one of that type, any regular two-pound coin will do. I'll pay you for it, of course.

Hey Larry, if you think about it while in London, could you get me one of the Shakespeare £2 coins? If you can't find one of that type, any regular two-pound coin will do.\

I have no idea where, but I'll look into it. Any pointers?

Unfortunately, we only have one full day in London on the way home. Staying in Mayfair...

They're in circulation, just like our dollar coins. Just whatever establishment you visit will have at least the regular ones. The Shakespeare ones may be harder to find, but they'd be in the same place. Maybe whenever you do a currency exchange? I certainly don't expect you to go out of your way. I can always just pay the premium to get one from the Royal Mint,

Unfortunately, we only have one full day in London on the way home. Staying in Mayfair...
They're in circulation, just like our dollar coins. Just whatever establishment you visit will have at least the regular ones. The Shakespeare ones may be harder to find, but they'd be in the same place. Maybe whenever you do a currency exchange? I certainly don't expect you to go out of your way. I can always just pay the premium to get one from the Royal Mint,
Just walk in to any bank and ask to swap two quid for one of them.

If you have the time, go to my favorite pub in all of London, The Holly Bush in Hampstead. It wont disappoint. http://www.hollybushhampstead.co.uk/

Also, if you're there on Friday, you should absolutely have lunch at Borough Market. There is a stall in the back that sells the absolute best toasted cheese sandwich (grilled cheese to us Yanks) that you will ever eat. Seriously good eats.

If you're near Curzon Street and need a shave or haircut, I hear George F. Trumper's place is pretty nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom