Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (19 Viewers)

I've never had the 1789 bottle before. Then add private selection to the mix and I'm very excited to try this.

Thanks again @RichMahogany and @Lil Tuna

The Little Bay is a great whisky, although I favor the 14 myself. If you like Oban, and if you find the Oban Distiller's Edition, that's worth a try for sure. My favorite of the three, actually. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the 14.

For some reason, prices for the Little Bay are all over the place. If you're buying a couple of bottles of it, it's worth looking around online. I've seen prices from $30 to $70 for that bottle in the past, just weird...
And the Oban 18 at $60.99 in 2011 from the NH State Liquor store is even better! Just wish I had bought the case instead of two bottles.

I have to agree with some, in that I found the Little Bay pretty unassertive and boring -- not up to the 14 at all, for me.

I have to agree with some, in that I found the Little Bay pretty unassertive and boring -- not up to the 14 at all, for me.
Agreed. And typically spendier. At Heathrow, for a long time they had 70cl Oban 14 at £30, and Little Bay 1l at £63. No contest in my book.

Just polished off a dram of that myself. Great minds!

It's tasty one! My only single malt in the cabinet (so far). Need to hook up with a buddy that can get me some less expensive bottles at the military store...

I just picked up two bottles of the Rhetoric 25...can’t wait to open one tonight! It seems to be a little hard to find around here (PA).

I just picked up two bottles of the Rhetoric 25...can’t wait to open one tonight! It seems to be a little hard to find around here (PA).

It'll be awfully nice! I have an unopened bottle of it at 23yrs, after tasting it in an exotic whisky bar. It would be interesting to see what difference the added two years in barrel has made...

Also the Forged Oak 15, which is a bit more edgy.

I have a buddy who has every bottle (type) they made, including the old blow hard. he won't open it, as it has gone up in value. he paid $600 for his.

I believe the 25 is around $250 per bottle around us? I could be mistaken.

I'm heading to Scotland in August. Any particular whisky I should bring back that you can't find here or is much cheaper there? I plan to hit a few distillery tours too.

I'm heading to Scotland in August. Any particular whisky I should bring back that you can't find here or is much cheaper there? I plan to hit a few distillery tours too.

My advice would be to not buy anything you can get here just to save a few bucks. Get something unique and memorable.

Look for low-volume whiskies from private bottlers that very rarely get exported to the US: G&M, Signatory, Compass Box, Cadenhead, SMWS, etc. See Independent Whiskey Bottlers for more...

Look for anything from Michael Couvreur, who buys Scotch whiskies and ages them in Burgundy, France before bottling. Some of them have been amazing.
See French Whiskey.

You have something against the Macallan 30? :mad:
I have tried it once. It is amazing, but definitely out of my price range. Hell, the 25 is out of my price range! I buy a couple bottles of the 18 each year, for special occasions.

Brora !
Get some Port Ellen, the price will go up in a few years

Yes, Brora is very good stuff as well.

Diageo says they're re-opening both Port Ellen and Brora/Clynelish, with 12-year-old bottlings to be available in 2032.

But since Port Ellen has been silent since 1983, I'd guess it's at peak value already, especially if some of the newer product is marketed prior to 12 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom