Hoyle cellulose acetate? (1 Viewer)

cheekymonkey

Sitting Out
Supporter
Reaction score
There's not much talk of these and I don't see them in the Redneck card database. Anyone know how they compare to KEMs and other acetate cards?

Screenshot 2024-03-15 111746.png

I’m curious. Google doesn’t have much on them, haha.
IMG_9695.png

Woah, Google already indexed my post. That was fast!

I found another set with a different design that I liked a little better so I bought those instead. But here's the link the sailboat set if you're interested, seller has 6 for sale. It's pretty cheap so I'm considering picking up that set too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Plasti...-Old-Stock-Made-in-USA-Bridge-sz/132788681761

Here's the design I went with:
Screenshot 2024-03-15 121443.png

Woah, Google already indexed my post. That was fast!

I found another set with a different design that I liked a little better so I bought those instead. But here's the link the sailboat set if you're interested, seller has 6 for sale. It's pretty cheap so I'm considering picking up that set too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Plasti...-Old-Stock-Made-in-USA-Bridge-sz/132788681761

Here's the design I went with:
View attachment 1293148
I saw those - the only problem with them is they’re the same, so no good for a two deck rotation. But if you play with a single deck, that’s a score.

Interesting. I read in a post here that USPC owns both KEM and Hoyle so the assumption is that they could be a Hoyle label, but KEM product line.

But then... I saw this:
hoyle.png

The date on the back of the box of the cards says 1999 and USPC didn't acquire Hoyle until 2001 and KEM in 2004. Maybe there's still a collaboration, but perhaps directly between KEM and Hoyle prior to the acquisition.

And let us know the index size. If they’re jumbo, I’d want some. I’d use one deck of those and one deck of KEM. FWIW, my crazy guess is that they are in fact rebranded KEMS.

I saw those - the only problem with them is they’re the same, so no good for a two deck rotation. But if you play with a single deck, that’s a score.
Ah good point, I'm still new to this so didn't think about that.

And let us know the index size. If they’re jumbo, I’d want some. I’d use one deck of those and one deck of KEM. FWIW, my crazy guess is that they are in fact rebranded KEMS.
Will do. Curious, how was the quality of the KEMs in that 1999 era?

Ah good point, I'm still new to this so didn't think about that.

Will do. Curious, how was the quality of the KEMs in that 1999 era?
That’s before they were bought by UPCC, and they’re the stuff of legends. Though they also have an annoying habit of bowing (as they still do.) Search for KEM warping or KEM bowing or pre-UPCC KEM.

Edit, yeah my bad, make that USPC

That’s before they were bought by UPCC, and they’re the stuff of legends. Though they also have an annoying habit of bowing (as they still do.) Search for KEM warping or KEM bowing or pre-UPCC KEM.

Edit, yeah my bad, make that USPC
Yeah, I'm one of the haters for sure but at $14 for a pretty setup I'll take my chances and use the defense strategies with the button on top lol.
Judging from the Jokers, my money is on standard index but I'll hit you up if not.

Yeah, I'm one of the haters for sure but at $14 for a pretty setup I'll take my chances and use the defense strategies with the button on top lol.
Judging from the Jokers, my money is on standard index but I'll hit you up if not.
My money is there too, just because jumbo KEMs are wrapped with a 10 on the bottom, so you can see they’re jumbo. Not that these are for certain KEMs. But anything is possible, including a slightly larger size standard - who knows?

They’re definitely not KEMS. They’re a lot thinner and a bit flexier and they have a smooth, non-textured, almost glossy finish. They don’t remind me of any deck I’ve ever handled. They seem to shuffle and pitch well though, so they could be a good setup. Though they don’t feel like they’re going to be durable, for whatever that’s worth.
Here are the face cards and here they are, 52 stacked next to a deck of 52 KEMS. They do seem to have a slight bow, (straight out of the 30 year old plastic wrap) so they’re not totally unlike KEMs, ha!

IMG_9750.jpeg
IMG_9755.jpeg

They’re definitely not KEMS. They’re a lot thinner and a bit flexier and they have a smooth, non-textured, almost glossy finish. They don’t remind me of any deck I’ve ever handled. They seem to shuffle and pitch well though, so they could be a good setup. Though they don’t feel like they’re going to be durable, for whatever that’s worth.
Here are the face cards and here they are, 52 stacked next to a deck of 52 KEMS. They do seem to have a slight bow, (straight out of the 30 year old plastic wrap) so they’re not totally unlike KEMs, ha!

View attachment 1296779View attachment 1296781
Wow, very interested in the feel if they're flexier than KEMs. Love that Ace of spades.

Odd, why can't I edit my previous posts? Is that a paid premium or seniority feature?

Oops, derp. Found the option. I was looking off to the right. Carry on.

Last edited:
Okay, bought those in the OP. They do feel tiny and thin, but I like the simple plastic case. I agree with durability doubts; I'm usually a fan of stiffer and grippier cards and these are very flexy and smooth. We'll see if the apes like them, if nothing else they'll be good vacation cards. Thanks for the heads up on them. Definitely happy for less than $15 bucks, they feel fine.

Last edited:
After seeing the OP and doing a quick search, I came across these online: 20240325_172137.jpg20240325_172152.jpg
They are being sold as.individual decks. Although it's the same design on each deck offered, the bridge JI sold me. If anyone is interested, there were still a couple left and at a decent price imo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132512305524?
I haven't opened them yet, but I figure they are similar/the same as the cards reviewed above.

Last edited:
I was eyeing those, but I figured I'd wait until I received my setup before I pulled the trigger on them. But after getting feel of these cards, I'm not a buyer. I like a textured finish.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom