Hot Take: Small Blinds are Unnecessary in Cash Games (1 Viewer)

How do you feel about small blinds in cash games?

• Small blinds are canon to poker, and must remain.

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • F*^% Josh Kifer and f$%^ the small blind.

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • F%$# Josh Kifer only.

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
We all agree this is cash game specific though, yes? Tournaments are a different beast and I think the small blind is important there, given how short stacked things tend to get mid to late in tournaments.
Oh you don't open this can of worms and tell me to fuck off then change the goal posts with "were just talking cash games, rite guyz"

Your gonna die on this hill!

I think it's both, and I don't believe it's just a semantic difference.

Hold'em would be a ridiculously boring game without blinds, because there would be no incentive to play anything other than strong hands. Blinds give you that incentive in two ways: they guarantee that money is in the pot every hand (which motivates all players to enter the pot and win it), and they give players in EP a reason to play at a positional disadvantage (because they already have money in the pot).
You really think the blinds are an incentive? They may be in limit, but in no limit, with pots easily getting to 100, 200, 300 BB or more, that 1.5BB is meaningless. No one cares. I don't think they serve any purpose in cash games, other than to get in the way of the cards being pitched in a self-dealt game.

Last edited:
You really think the blinds are an incentive? They may be in limit, but in no limit, with pots easily getting to 100, 200, 300 BB or more, that 1.5BB is meaningless. No one cares. i don't think they serve any purpose in cash games, other than to get in the way the cards being pitched in a self-dealt game.
Agreed. If you are fretting a half a big blind per orbit you are playing the wrong stakes, anyways.

My local game is very passive preflop for the most part. Some bingo playing but I'm talking about situations in which it's literally folded to me in the small blind and only the big blind left to act. I'm not raising 8/3 offsuit with two limped behind and BB left to act.
Your original post was limped pot to the SB. Now it's folded to the SB. Make up your mind. Of course you're not folding if it's folded to you.

You really think the blinds are an incentive? They may be in limit, but in no limit, with pots easily getting to 100, 200, 300 BB or more, that 1.5BB is meaningless. No one cares. i don't think they serve any purpose in cash games, other than to get in the way the cards being pitched in a self-dealt game.
That probably depends a lot on how the game plays? Like if we're playing $1/2 and you open UTG to $7, yeah, it might make sense for me to flat in late position with that extra $3 in the pot (when it might also make sense to fold if that $3 wasn't there.) But if we're playing $1/2 and you open to $16, then no, that extra $3 in the pot probably doesn't mean much.

Sounds like if you are adding in BBA, mandatory stradles, bomb pots, etc... to increase, drive action or make you game less nitty then you not playing high enough stakes for your players. Just raise your stakes and the blinds SB/BB will adjust accordingly to make them meanigfull enough for you players to care about.

You really think the blinds are an incentive? They may be in limit, but in no limit, with pots easily getting to 100, 200, 300 BB or more, that 1.5BB is meaningless. No one cares. I don't think they serve any purpose in cash games, other than to get in the way of the cards being pitched in a self-dealt game.
In a full ring game (8-9 handed), you're paying about 17-19bb every 100 hands in forced bets.

It might not matter much in a .25/.50 home game. But at mid-stakes and up where long term winrates are often 10-15bb/100 or less, it's the difference between being a solid winner and a massive loser.

In a full ring game (8-9 handed), you're paying about 17-19bb every 100 hands in forced bets.

It might not matter much in a .25/.50 home game. But at mid-stakes and up where long term winrates are often 10-15bb/100 or less, it's the difference between being a solid winner and a massive loser.
Agree with both of you, and imo a better cash game solution (for either .50/1 or 1/1 as an example) is to eliminate both blinds and just have the first-to-act player post a table ante equal to twice the minimum bet size (posting $2 in this example).

Players must bet/call/raise or fold pre-flop; no checking allowed (same as if there were posted blinds, except that action starts with the first player after the button -- who posted the table ante).

Will speed up the game, minimize limping, and eliminate a chip denom at many stakes.

can we make votes public, I need to know who my homies are

2 blinds, or small big doesn't really matter much in cash, they are only there to encourage people to enter the pot anyways.

Why not just bring back the ante, make poker great again, everyone puts in $1 then deal the cards.
Because your $1 ante game at meatups is going to face a $30 preflop 3! every single hand.

I agree. Especially in micro stakes if the big blind is .25 might as well go 25/.25. No meed for nickel chips.

Believe it or not, there are many players who think 0.25 SB is a lot of money. Bringing in nickels is the only way to start educating the masses.

And there are some players who think $5/$10 NL as nanostakes.

Believe it or not, there are many players who think 0.25 SB is a lot of money. Bringing in nickels is the only way to start educating the masses.

And there are some players who think $5/$10 NL as nanostakes.
100%. 5c/10c is the perfect approachable stakes for my players. Yes, they'll call a quarter open much like a 10cent limp but saves them a few dollars every round.

To be clear, I wasn't arguing better or worse so much as which option would drive more action. Whether more action is better or worse is a matter of opinion.

And yeah, I think I was heavily implying that, but I don't really believe it. Unlike blinds, antes are dead money, so it doesn't really matter where they come from, and that second incentive (playing out of position to defend your blind bet) doesn't apply.

So I see where you're going, and you're right. It doesn't really matter where antes come from - they juice the pot, but they can't really be defended and thus don't drive action via defense.
I don’t often defend with bad hands. Why go in and flop bottom pair and be out of position?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom