Do you hoard chips?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

FestiveKnight

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer: this is not to start shit, this is pure curiosity and for discussion.

TLDR: What is your definition of hoarding chips? Do you hoard? How do you feel about that?

The longer version:

Let's focus on a small example. I have a set of chips I like but have no personal connection to and no extreme passion for. I probably wouldn't ever put it into play except to erase the shame of not using them. I originally bought them for a friend who has been asking about nicer chips sets but turns out he didn't want them. I have been thinking about releasing them, they could probably find a better home elsewhere. AND YET, here I am, procrastinating it, pushing them further back on the shelf. "What does it hurt to hold onto these?"

So, is this hoarding? Is hoarding bad? Do you hoard? How do you feel about your own chip stock with this perspective?

Would it change your perspective if I told you that part of the set came from another member here and I am sure they would happily take the whole set at my cost?

I think what I struggle with is the swirling tensions of "chips are only getting more expensive, I should hold on to what I have", "what the harm? I can always release them later", "what if I could use these in another set or project", "I am a young guy, this is an old guy's game. When I get older chips, I should hold on to them."

In the end, I think my behavior with regards to this set could be described as hoarding. I also think "hoarding" is probably a spectrum. Am I doing it for profit? Not really. Am I doing it for the ego of having all of the chips? Nope. Do I hoard a lot of chips? Not really. Certainly not by comparison.

Do some folks hoard too much? I think so. Is it okay for everyone to hoard a bit? I think so.

Hoarding is bad for your body and soul. If these are leaded chips with shaped and textured inlays, you need to get this burden off your conscience and sell them to me (at or below your cost). I will put them to good use. You’re welcome.

Define hoarding vs collecting?
I think this is a really good point. I don’t think there should be any obligation to release extra chips. So maybe what I’m typing next is just “collecting” and not “hoarding.”

I have 13 sets and about 15k chips total. To some that’s a lot. Next to others not so much. I generally don’t sell. I’m open to trading these days. For me I get some quantity of personal happiness having something. If I sell something willingly it’s because I’ll end up happier one way or another (I have more space, I’ve made someone else’s day). But if I sell something and it’s going to leave me less happy why would I do it? The money I get from selling even all my chips makes no difference to me. I would definitely be less happy and more depressed if that happened.

I did loan one of my sets out to a local who put them into play and we were both happier about that so maybe if it’s a friend that’s a fair compromise.

I think the term 'hoarding' has a negative connotation to it so I would say NO this is not hoarding. You have acquired more sets than you generally put in play and that isn't 'wrong'. I would assume you purchased these because they were attractive to you and that's fine. It's what we do. Nobody should feel bad for having alot of poker chips. If that was the case most of us would feel horrible. All I NEED is one tournament set and one cash set. Oh well, bring on MOAR CHIPPIES!!!:D

Everyone does what makes them happy. Collect. Hoard. Flip. Host. Whatever. Different stokes for different folks.

If I have *highly* sought after chips that I won’t use, I give them away for free. I don’t want to “sell” them, but I don’t want them to sit on a shelf. So what makes me happy is sending them off, and if the person dies, gets bored of them, or whatever, they can send them back. Or keep ‘em forever in their normal rotation.

I also don’t buy chip sets anymore. I’m not a real chipper, I came here for the social aspect. When this moved from a social, interactive platform to a marketplace, I quit buying and put my chipping funds into meetup funds. I could own a vineyards or LCO set, or I could host a meetup. Easy choice these days.

Everyone’s story is unique and their own. I respect everyone’s story where their actions match their words, which to me is the only part that matters.

I like to joke about hoarding and tease people about hoarding, but no, I personally do not hoard chips. I have a collection of chips that i love. It's really that simple. Other people might try and take shots at me with negative intentions, but that's their problem, not mine.

42F67C26-669C-4E8D-954C-D7A9230CD15C.jpeg

Personally…I would define hoarding as the intent is to raise the price of the product by holding onto the supply. Hoarding has a negative connotation to me. They’re keeping the product away from others and also hope to raise the value. There are several people in our hobby that hoard, and understandable so. I don’t defend their selfish practices, but it’s going to happen.

Some people “collect”. Their joy is to amass as many CDI $5s as possible as an example. They either felt them or just have enjoyment of ownership.

Can you do both? Haha I hope not bc then I’m a hoarder lol

The question I always have is “What is your long term plans for your chips, *if* you’re a collector or hoarder?”.

Like just being honest, it makes sense that most will plan to sell some day. We have several members with large 6 figure collections that have increased in value tremendously.

But some don’t seem to collect/hoard with plans to sell. What will they do!?!? Is it going to your kids? Is it just part of your estate and you don’t care what happens after? Are they all going to a friend for them to enjoy!? I always want to ask this question, but don’t quite know how to do so tactfully even when it’s to a friend.

But I’m def curious….if you have an elephants weight in chips and are up there in life expectancy measures…what’s the plan!

(if I pass my wife knows Bash and Ness can pick whatever chips they want and the rest goes to a local chipper who has helped me out to do whatever he wants with em).

Define hoarding vs collecting?
To me, collecting has definition and purpose. There is a plot to the actions of collecting.

I’ve (defensively) argued to my wife repeatedly that I don’t collect wine (first off, I only keep 12-18 bottles around) because I don’t engage with wine in any of the behaviors I assosiate with collecting. I know just enough to know what I want at a restaurant and at home. I don’t attempt to learn more, I don’t keep up with wine news, I don’t care to expand my horizons, but I’ll be glad if that happens organically.

I do collect cigars. I have cigars enough to last me years if I didn’t give them out so much to friends and family when hosting. I actively seek out new cigars, I keep up with industry news, I have goals. I set aside sticks to age, I take notes on cigars I smoke. Etc etc

To me, the inflection point between hoarding and collecting is probably when you have an excessive quantity of things that no longer fit the plot.

I don’t really know what that says about my own chipping. I’ve moved in a direction where I want every set I own to have been a project. Nothing turnkey. As such, the set I referenced in the OP is something I feel I am “hoarding.”

That doesn’t bring me much shame though. I use the term in this thread to draw attention and engage debate. But thinking about in this way does help be reconcile that the right thing is to move the set along to someone who will enjoy it more.

See here’s the thing, if I were interested, explicitly, in collecting small sets of lots of different molds, I would keep these around. They’re DiaSqr and I quite like the mold. But I’m not. They’ll just gather dust.

I think this is a really good point. I don’t think there should be any obligation to release extra chips. So maybe what I’m typing next is just “collecting” and not “hoarding.”

I have 13 sets and about 15k chips total. To some that’s a lot. Next to others not so much. I generally don’t sell. I’m open to trading these days. For me I get some quantity of personal happiness having something. If I sell something willingly it’s because I’ll end up happier one way or another (I have more space, I’ve made someone else’s day). But if I sell something and it’s going to leave me less happy why would I do it? The money I get from selling even all my chips makes no difference to me. I would definitely be less happy and more depressed if that happened.

I did loan one of my sets out to a local who put them into play and we were both happier about that so maybe if it’s a friend that’s a fair compromise.
Not being a source of happiness = hoarded

Not saying that’s what you’re saying, but calling that out as something to reflect on. I think the line can be different for everyone. I certainly wouldn’t say X number of chips is hoarding. The amount of hosts, how the chips are used/displayed can vary a lot.

With rare exception, I think this is mostly something to think about personally. Not something to drive witch hunts.

“Does these bring me happiness? If not, why do I still have them?” Is I think a natural question one should consider of ever you think, “am I hoarding?”

I think the term 'hoarding' has a negative connotation to it so I would say NO this is not hoarding. You have acquired more sets than you generally put in play and that isn't 'wrong'. I would assume you purchased these because they were attractive to you and that's fine. It's what we do. Nobody should feel bad for having alot of poker chips. If that was the case most of us would feel horrible. All I NEED is one tournament set and one cash set. Oh well, bring on MOAR CHIPPIES!!!:D
I agree, I think it’s about so much more than just quantity. That’s too blunt a measure of collecting vs hoarding.

Personally…I would define hoarding as the intent is to raise the price of the product by holding onto the supply. Hoarding has a negative connotation to me. They’re keeping the product away from others and also hope to raise the value. There are several people in our hobby that hoard, and understandable so. I don’t defend their selfish practices, but it’s going to happen.

Some people “collect”. Their joy is to amass as many CDI $5s as possible as an example. They either felt them or just have enjoyment of ownership.

Can you do both? Haha I hope not bc then I’m a hoarder lol
That’s a much more active and nefarious look at hoarding. I am sure that probably happens though I don’t think I have a long enough history with chipping to have seen it in a way I could recognize.

I’m a social worker who works with actual hoarders (mostly undiagnosed but some who carry an official diagnosis). I think most of us use “hoarding” as a general term with little relationship to the actual definition (which is totally fine, that’s how much of our language operates).

However… if we want to understand hoarding vs collecting or any variation of collecting, then I would say this - a hoarder is someone who accumulates items constantly and without much thought. Many of the items a hoarder brings in will never be used. A hoarder has an emotional attachment to the items collected (even if they never use them), and will feel *actual emotional pain* when relinquishing the items. So an actual hoarder could never be on PCF selling sets from time to time, they would only be massively buying up chips, never really using them, and not having any plan for them whatsoever. I bet very few of us would fall into that category, and for those who think they might, I would (all joking aside), consider getting some professional help, because hoarding is an actual problem with real life health consequences (including potentially getting evicted from your apartment/home).

Now, assuming we aren’t talking about the actual clinical definition of hoarding, and just using the term loosely as a way to describe those who purchase lots of things with a variety of plans for them - I think many of us probably fall in and out of certain buckets depending on the month/year. I got really into collecting during the pandemic. Almost all of my chips I have ever bought (sets), have been put in play or have been attempted to be put in play. There was (at some point) some kind of plan for them. But my relationship to chipping changed as life events changed; (1) emerging from the pandemic I found myself with way less time on my hands than I did at the height of 2020/21, (2) I had my first kid recently, (3) even before my kid was born I hosted less than usual which led me to not be as motivated to buy new chips. All of these and several other life events changed my relationship to chipping, and I’m sure will continue to change/evolve as the years go on, I’m hoping to move into a bigger place in the next few years which could lead to more hosting which could lead to more chipping etc. so it’s never static, always evolving. Like @BarrieJ3 , I love poker for the social aspect and also for the strategy aspect. As much as I love poker chips, it will always come second to the actual game of playing and learning poker. There are only so many hours in the day so we have to decide how we spend it.

Currently I have maybe 8-9 sets but I honestly wish that were closer to 3-4 sets. I don’t need them all and I don’t have the time put them in play which makes me feel like they are sitting there without a purpose (which two years ago felt very different). I assume this is pretty natural/standard for many of us. While I do have a negative association with keeping lots of poker chips in closets that I don’t use, I don’t consider it hoarding, because that was not my original intention. I also have no issue selling chips if I really need to, so I know I am not attached to them to the point that it will become a problem. That gives me some peace of mind even if I wish I had the energy to downsize quicker.

It’s an interesting discussion!

I think it would depend on your intentions. If you receive for the sake of fear of missing out maybe it's hoarding. If you receive for the sake of happiness and fulfillment it's a collection. Definitely right that there is a spectrum of hoarding though. :LOL: :laugh:

If you try to build a unicorn set 1 chip at a time, by sweeping up everything that becomes available you are essentially becoming the market for those chips. While your intentions may be honorable in that you are putting together full racks that may have never been available, you are also driving up the price, while taking supply off the market that you now own. I am not saying this is bad, as I do this myself a bit, but it seems a bit hoardy. Am I wrong?

I have 7 sets. One is a limit set. I don't think that counts. I am actively bidding on another set. FTR, I already feel like I have too many sets, but fuck. I love them so much! I only host once a month. Some of my sets only hit the felt once a year.

If I win Bryans auction. This will be the most playable sets that I have ever had at one time.

@Senzrock congrats on the baby!

The question I always have is “What is your long term plans for your chips, *if* you’re a collector or hoarder?”.

Like just being honest, it makes sense that most will plan to sell some day. We have several members with large 6 figure collections that have increased in value tremendously.

But some don’t seem to collect/hoard with plans to sell. What will they do!?!? Is it going to your kids? Is it just part of your estate and you don’t care what happens after? Are they all going to a friend for them to enjoy!? I always want to ask this question, but don’t quite know how to do so tactfully even when it’s to a friend.

But I’m def curious….if you have an elephants weight in chips and are up there in life expectancy measures…what’s the plan!

(if I pass my wife knows Bash and Ness can pick whatever chips they want and the rest goes to a local chipper who has helped me out to do whatever he wants with em).

I will definitely sell a few sets when I retire, and/or if we ever decide to downsize. If I were to die tomorrow. My boy knows to reach out to a couple of friends of mine that are also chippers. They can figure out what to do with them. I think I only have one set that has a ROFR. That the Tiger Claws that will eventually fine their way back to you.

I have 7 sets. One is a limit set. I don't think that counts. I am actively bidding on another set. FTR, I already feel like I have too many sets, but fuck. I love them so much! I only host once a month. Some of my sets only hit the felt once a year.

If I win Bryans auction. This will be the most playable sets that I have ever had at one time.

@Senzrock congrats on the baby!

I will definitely sell a few sets when I retire, and/or if we ever decide to downsize. If I were to die tomorrow. My boy knows to reach out to a couple of friends of mine that are also chippers. They can figure out what to do with them. I think I only have one set that has a ROFR. That the Tiger Claws that will eventually fine their way back to you.
You always have a great rotation that is no small part aligned with your time in the hobby and those you call friends. And maybe some Wanted threads for "Amazing chips at great prices" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I also earnestly hope that if those Tiger Claws ever did find their way back to me, they'd be nice and broken in due to years of seeing some table time.

You always have a great rotation that is no small part aligned with your time in the hobby and those you call friends. And maybe some Wanted threads for "Amazing chips at great prices" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I also earnestly hope that if those Tiger Claws ever did find their way back to me, they'd be nice and broken in due to years of seeing some table time.

I think I have felted them 4 times since I came into possession. Last month they were requested to be in play by a local chipper! I had to oblige

I think I have felted them 4 times since I came into possession. Last month they were requested to be in play by a local chipper! I had to oblige
That's awesome, lol 4 more times than they would have here! I suck at all things shuffling chips (which I don't do normally anyways), so mint chips are a nightmare.

There's some Adolfo's coming back from a cleaning so that's exciting. Much more my speed in chip condition. Get those Tigers sharp claws trimmed for me por favor!

Edit: But to stay on topic, you unfortunately pass. Your son knows what's up and who to talk to about chips and such. Is your hope that he takes a small interest and wants to keep/hold on to some of the sets? Lol I may be a bit hoardish, so I kinda think it would be cool if my kid at least kept something, like maybe customs (sunsets in your case?).

Is your hope that he takes a small interest and wants to keep/hold on to some of the sets?

He takes money way to seriously (he is an economist). He has zero interest in gambling.

I will probably leave my Sunset poker chips to my oldest daughter. Or at least half of them. She loves to play when she is in town. In Feb she played at @Sprouty place with us. She held her own!

I’m a social worker who works with actual hoarders (mostly undiagnosed but some who carry an official diagnosis). I think most of us use “hoarding” as a general term with little relationship to the actual definition (which is totally fine, that’s how much of our language operates).

However… if we want to understand hoarding vs collecting or any variation of collecting, then I would say this - a hoarder is someone who accumulates items constantly and without much thought. Many of the items a hoarder brings in will never be used. A hoarder has an emotional attachment to the items collected (even if they never use them), and will feel *actual emotional pain* when relinquishing the items. So an actual hoarder could never be on PCF selling sets from time to time, they would only be massively buying up chips, never really using them, and not having any plan for them whatsoever. I bet very few of us would fall into that category, and for those who think they might, I would (all joking aside), consider getting some professional help, because hoarding is an actual problem with real life health consequences (including potentially getting evicted from your apartment/home).

Now, assuming we aren’t talking about the actual clinical definition of hoarding, and just using the term loosely as a way to describe those who purchase lots of things with a variety of plans for them - I think many of us probably fall in and out of certain buckets depending on the month/year. I got really into collecting during the pandemic. Almost all of my chips I have ever bought (sets), have been put in play or have been attempted to be put in play. There was (at some point) some kind of plan for them. But my relationship to chipping changed as life events changed; (1) emerging from the pandemic I found myself with way less time on my hands than I did at the height of 2020/21, (2) I had my first kid recently, (3) even before my kid was born I hosted less than usual which led me to not be as motivated to buy new chips. All of these and several other life events changed my relationship to chipping, and I’m sure will continue to change/evolve as the years go on, I’m hoping to move into a bigger place in the next few years which could lead to more hosting which could lead to more chipping etc. so it’s never static, always evolving. Like @BarrieJ3 , I love poker for the social aspect and also for the strategy aspect. As much as I love poker chips, it will always come second to the actual game of playing and learning poker. There are only so many hours in the day so we have to decide how we spend it.

Currently I have maybe 8-9 sets but I honestly wish that were closer to 3-4 sets. I don’t need them all and I don’t have the time put them in play which makes me feel like they are sitting there without a purpose (which two years ago felt very different). I assume this is pretty natural/standard for many of us. While I do have a negative association with keeping lots of poker chips in closets that I don’t use, I don’t consider it hoarding, because that was not my original intention. I also have no issue selling chips if I really need to, so I know I am not attached to them to the point that it will become a problem. That gives me some peace of mind even if I wish I had the energy to downsize quicker.

It’s an interesting discussion!

Duuuuuude I can’t wait for June even more now, I would love to pick your brain on the subject, given your experience. My wife and I got into that A&E Hoarders show years ago (and we had a relative that could have easily been featured….), it’s such a fascinating (and often sad) subject.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom