First Post - Jumping Right in Seeking Chip Breakdown Advice (1 Viewer)

lovetowel

Reaction score
Hey All,

First post. Got a custom board game/poker table in production that should be delivered by the end of April (uniquely geek - radcliffe trestle in modern style and walnut wood). I’ve been using a some random die chips since the late 90s that I bought in middle school, and they’ve served me well, but with no denominations (no one can ever remember whats what) and a nice table on the way its finally time to upgrade my home game.

So, looking for feedback on current thinking on chip breakdown. I’ve hosted an off and on home game over the years, normally can pull 6-10 players on a given night. So need to have enough chips to cover a full 10 top.

Home game breakdown: Regular game will be .25/.50. Hoping to build in future proofing for if it ever moves to 5./1 or maybe even 1/2.

• .25 x 100
  • 1 x 200
  • 5 x 200
  • 25 x 100
  • 100 x 25

I’ve heard .5/.5 plays the exact same, but I’ve got some guys who already squawk at .25/.50 beg for me to host a $20 buy in game and I think the psychological difference from not having quarters will be too much for them (sigh).

Current thinking is the CPC rounders CSQ stock set but I’ll be replacing the buffalo with a black and white image of my dog’s head. Might go and design my own chips, but for now I like the aesthetic of the rounders set.

Then after I financially recover from a CPC set, maybe I’ll look into a tourney set (but that will probably have to be ceramic).

Anyway, looking for feedback on chip amounts and denoms, interested to hear everyone's’ thoughts.

Hello and welcome!

If you're group wants $10-20 buy-ins, you might consider reducing stakes to 0.05/0.10 and get a rack of nickels and another rack of quarters.
Or perhaps play 0.25/0.25 and prepare for a lot of limping.

Hello and welcome!

If you're group wants $10-20 buy-ins, you might consider reducing stakes to 0.05/0.10 and get a rack of nickels and another rack of quarters.
Or perhaps play 0.25/0.25 and prepare for a lot of limping.
To be clear its just a couple guys that ask for $20, and they know enough not to buy in below 100bb when we are playing .25/.50. They do complain though hence wanting to keep a .25 chip and not a .50. Especially since we will have the rest of the table buying in at 50-100.

To be clear its just a couple guys that ask for $20, and they know enough not to buy in below 100bb when we are playing .25/.50. They do complain though hence wanting to keep a .25 chip and not a .50. Especially since we will have the rest of the table buying in at 50-100.

So 0.25/0.25 just might be your sweet spot. Which is a good thing, because extra fracs can be expensive.

Hey All,

First post. Got a custom board game/poker table in production that should be delivered by the end of April (uniquely geek - radcliffe trestle in modern style and walnut wood). I’ve been using a some random die chips since the late 90s that I bought in middle school, and they’ve served me well, but with no denominations (no one can ever remember whats what) and a nice table on the way its finally time to upgrade my home game.

So, looking for feedback on current thinking on chip breakdown. I’ve hosted an off and on home game over the years, normally can pull 6-10 players on a given night. So need to have enough chips to cover a full 10 top.

Home game breakdown: Regular game will be .25/.50. Hoping to build in future proofing for if it ever moves to 5./1 or maybe even 1/2.

• .25 x 100
  • 1 x 200
  • 5 x 200
  • 25 x 100
  • 100 x 25

I’ve heard .5/.5 plays the exact same, but I’ve got some guys who already squawk at .25/.50 beg for me to host a $20 buy in game and I think the psychological difference from not having quarters will be too much for them (sigh).

Current thinking is the CPC rounders CSQ stock set but I’ll be replacing the buffalo with a black and white image of my dog’s head. Might go and design my own chips, but for now I like the aesthetic of the rounders set.

Then after I financially recover from a CPC set, maybe I’ll look into a tourney set (but that will probably have to be ceramic).

Anyway, looking for feedback on chip amounts and denoms, interested to hear everyone's’ thoughts.
If you're planning to do a custom inlay, might as well do custom chips! You'll have to wait the same amount of time and it'll cost the same unless you overlabel stock rounders.

Thats my breakdown for my 0.25/50 game and it works out well. I bought another rack of $5s for 3 total in case I run a $1/2 game also. Something to consider. I generally say you learn as you play. Youll see youll need more $1s or $5s after a certain point but its not that much of a pain in the ass to make change occasionally.

I'd personally consider getting a few more quarters so you're not constantly having to make change but other than that it sounds like a solid, flexible breakdown. Since you're new to the forum you may also want to look into the $25 vs $20 debate, especially for a smaller stakes game.

Jumping right into CPC is a great (albeit expensive) way to start!

Get yourself a Tiger Palace primary cash set with canary NCVs to use as 25c or 50c chips depending on the game:

1H8dx1T.jpg

Um I mean regardless if you go THC or CC you’ll want a non denom frac, so you can say it’s a .25 or .5. It will work out fine as you put denoms on all the others.

1 rack is all you’ll need for them and this is future proofing. You can always add on later

If you're planning to do a custom inlay, might as well do custom chips! You'll have to wait the same amount of time and it'll cost the same unless you overlabel stock rounders.
This! If you go CPC route either go with Rounders or do it from the ground up picking colors, edge spots, mold etc... You are doing yourself a disservice if you go with your original idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom