Case for Transporting Chips (3 Viewers)

Tray #2 finished. This one has taller side pieces so that I can stack the trays on top of each other. Last thing I need to do is to get some latches to secure them together when moving them.

They're pretty rough still, but prototypes gonna proto....

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

A thought: if you put a chamfer on the inside of the bottom rails of the top piece, it will be easier to settle the top tray onto the bottom tray when the racks are full.

I know this is an unavoidable annoyance when stacking thin plastic chip racks, but with the wall thickness of your wood rails, you can do something about it.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Hmmm... and although your handle design looks easy to carry, it's hard to pick up the bottom one when it's on a flat surface - especially when they are stacked. Might be wise to make the bottom one with the same high edges as the others - or you'll be temped to pick it up by the second-to-the-bottom tray, and have the bottom one be lifted by your latches.

I was wondering if I should do a chamfer or a roundover. For now, it's a roundover but I might change it to a chamfer for those reasons you mentioned. Right now it settles in snugly when I stack them.

I noticed the handle problem on the bottom rack when I was taking the pictures. After pics were taken I tried to pick up both racks from the bottom but couldn't get my fingers underneath to pick them up. I'm probably going to revise the design so that they all have the extra tall sides to give them a natural gap to pick up each tray.

Though I might cut a slot underneath the handles on the ends so that I can get my fingers underneath. I want the bottom tray to have a flat bottom so that if I put them on a poker table, the tray doesn't create a rectangle indent into the foam. The flat bottom helps distribute the load so I don't have to worry about denting my foam.

I was wondering if I should do a chamfer or a roundover. For now, it's a roundover but I might change it to a chamfer for those reasons you mentioned. Right now it settles in snugly when I stack them.

I noticed the handle problem on the bottom rack when I was taking the pictures. After pics were taken I tried to pick up both racks from the bottom but couldn't get my fingers underneath to pick them up. I'm probably going to revise the design so that they all have the extra tall sides to give them a natural gap to pick up each tray.

Though I might cut a slot underneath the handles on the ends so that I can get my fingers underneath. I want the bottom tray to have a flat bottom so that if I put them on a poker table, the tray doesn't create a rectangle indent into the foam. The flat bottom helps distribute the load so I don't have to worry about denting my foam.

A chamfer is better for stacking, I think. I'd use the extra tall sides on the bottom tray. If you want to avoid denting the foam, I'd use a piece of 1/4" ply secured in rabbets in the long rails. Make it stop short of the handles. That way all the trays will be even heights when you unstack them.

Interesting point on the foam and compression...

A thought : are you making a lid? When putting it on the table, you flip the lid off, and then put the stack on the inverted lid. If the lid is flat - topped, it becomes a felt - saving tray.

Denting the foam is just one of my paranoid fears. Truthfully it shouldn't dent the foam since the entire underside of the trays are rounded over and there's still a fair bit of surface area making contact. I also don't plan on leaving these trays full of chips on a poker table for any length of time except when making stacks, color changing and distributing chips. I'm also thinking of other peoples' tables though if I ever end up putting these up for sale. Anyone with Volara foam wouldn't want to leave a full tray of these on their table for more than an hour or so.

Yes I'm planning on making a few lids. I could flip them upside down and use it as a foam guard, but there's a chance that the top tray could slide off since there would be nothing to keep them together. But maybe the friction of wood on wood would be enough to prevent any sliding? I'm not sure yet if I'm going to poly these or not.

And this is why I don't particularly like birdcages:

Almost all were ok, a couple got scratched up real good.

I've transported them in the back of my trailer many times. This time I was in a bit more of a rush to get to my destination and must have taken a corner too hard.

You have a good eye Mental. Yes I've made myself a set of cases with latches and those moved round just fine. I'm a little worried to put a price on them to start selling them because I don't really have the time to make more. I've recently hired some staff so my workload should ease up for more time for projects like the cases.

..I've recently hired some staff...

Good to hear things are going so well. When are you planning on opening another shop? Say...around the Boston area?

Seems like you have plenty of room. Do you think the Pelican 1400 would fit 600 chips just fine as well? I rather get the smallest size case possible that still holds 600 chips. Also, where did you get your chip trays?

Just got this an hour ago... Initial pics. I'll do a review up later.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Seems like you have plenty of room. Do you think the Pelican 1400 would fit 600 chips just fine as well? I rather get the smallest size case possible that still holds 600 chips. Also, where did you get your chip trays?

My apologies, but I'm unfamiliar with the 1400. As to the chip racks, I'm not entirely sure where I obtained those. I've got man, many chip racks, that have been obtained through any numbers of sources.

With my upcoming tournament season about to start (19 Players) I needed to have a solid transport case for my tournament AND cash set. I have been following this thread and finally decided to buy the Pelican 1520 w/ foam case ($114). Love it! I have a 600 Tournament,20 Player, T7500 Starting Stack on one side and a $2100 Bank Cash Set on the other including setups and buttons. Each rack you see goes 3 deep. Heavy little thing but my babies are safe and snug! [emoji41]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442357558.288953.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442357570.691115.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442357583.547613.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442357607.227721.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442357617.564839.jpg

Looks great. I am in the process of ordering my custom chips and looking at Pelican cases as well. I only have 600 so i am going to get a much smaller case, but good frame of reference.

Pelican 1300s hold 4 racks (as long as they're short enough) of chips, or 6 cardboard boxes with the outer foam ring removed. I picked one up for $25.

Last edited:
Looks great. I am in the process of ordering my custom chips and looking at Pelican cases as well. I only have 600 so i am going to get a much smaller case, but good frame of reference.

See below, holds 600 chips nicely (two layers of racks), and accessories. Very happy with this purchase. I believe it's the 1450. Got it for a great price, just because it's silver, not black).

Just got this an hour ago... Initial pics. I'll do a review up later.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

With my upcoming tournament season about to start (19 Players) I needed to have a solid transport case for my tournament AND cash set. I have been following this thread and finally decided to buy the Pelican 1520 w/ foam case ($114). Love it! I have a 600 Tournament,20 Player, T7500 Starting Stack on one side and a $2100 Bank Cash Set on the other including setups and buttons. Each rack you see goes 3 deep. Heavy little thing but my babies are safe and snug! [emoji41]

Redbelly - Can you post your breakdown for the $ and T sets in this travel kit, please?

Redbelly - Can you post your breakdown for the $ and T sets in this travel kit, please?

For the Cash Set I have 3 Racks of $1's + 2 Racks of $5's PLUS 4 Barrels of $5's AND ONE Barrel of $20 = $2100

The Tournament at a minimum has 160 T25, 160 T100, 60 T500, 100 T1K... it also has 20 T5K's... I have 100 more chips for color up but I'm not home so can't remember what they are...

One more slight derail, Sean..... are those 1" inlays on the circle-square mold? Was playing around in the Chip Design Tool tonight, and it balked when I selected that combo..... but your chips turned out awesome.

One more slight derail, Sean..... are those 1" inlays on the circle-square mold? Was playing around in the Chip Design Tool tonight, and it balked when I selected that combo..... but your chips turned out awesome.
Thanks Dave!

The 1" is perfect... the reason I ultimately went with the CSQ. In the "tribute chip" I went with a 1 1/8 inlay. I will say that I was told of possible horrible outcomes that might result! Pressing ahead they all came out perfect! Thanks to CPC!
(1994-2014) is the 1 1/8...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442466627.473728.jpg

Pelican case ......105 chips in each rack ...... 15 racks. Weighs a bit but the chips are safe. Trying to reconfigure to get three more racks in it :)

20150624_080321.jpg 20150624_080248.jpg 20150624_080211.jpg

See below, holds 600 chips nicely (two layers of racks), and accessories. Very happy with this purchase. I believe it's the 1450. Got it for a great price, just because it's silver, not black).
Thanks for the heads up. I have been debating between that case and the 1400. The difference being the dimensions (1450 - 14.62 x 10.18 x 6; 1400 - 11.81 x 8.87 x 5.18). I am going to do the same set up as you. Do you think the smaller case will fit my chips or should I go with the larger one?

Thanks for the heads up. I have been debating between that case and the 1400. The difference being the dimensions (1450 - 14.62 x 10.18 x 6; 1400 - 11.81 x 8.87 x 5.18). I am going to do the same set up as you. Do you think the smaller case will fit my chips or should I go with the larger one?

The larger case, the one I have, fits 600 chips nicely, with room for accessories... I know I could squeeze in more chips, but then it'd be a bit cramped. Up to you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom