Buy through the vendors or through the classifieds? (1 Viewer)

JackNineSuited

Waiting List
Reaction score
I am a brand new member so this question might be very ignorant but, is it better to buy through the vendors or through the classified?

I ask this because this post seemed like a very good deal while what I have seen in the classifieds seem much more expensive. Secondly, I am also unsure of the likelihood of being scammed. Vendors I assume would be a more safe option than a random person through the classifieds.

It’s generally very safe to buy from the classifieds, just do your homework on the seller and pricing:

Same for vendors, it’s very safe.

Just as in life though, assholes abound so do exercise some caution.

Make friend’s with forum members and PM for advice and opinions if needed. People here are generally super helpful, even those of us assholes that give smart ass or seemingly snarky responses on occasion

Most people here are literally addicted to chips, and this site is the best place to get them. So there aren’t a lot of people willing to risk their reputation here, by screwing somebody in the classifieds.
The vendors are a mixed bag in terms of value - some offer great prices, some are worse than eBay. The same could be said for individual sellers though.

But like @RichMahogany said - don’t hesitate to PM people for advice.

If in doubt, pay with an insured method and cover the extra 3%. An honest seller won't refuse an insured payment sale or may even eat the cost if that's what it takes to make the sale.

Seller Feedback is also helpful when deciding who to buy from but not always. A few questionable members I refuse to do business with have 100% feedback. How is beyond me but somehow they do. Buyer beware.

buying through vendors is almost always the better route vs. going through the classifieds. Vendor prices are often the cheapest you’ll find

After the initial purchase, most subsequent sellers are reluctant to take a loss (or sell at cost) unless they have to

If in doubt, pay with an insured method and cover the extra 3%. An honest seller won't refuse an insured payment sale or may even eat the cost if that's what it takes to make the sale.

Seller Feedback is also helpful when deciding who to buy from but not always. A few questionable members I refuse to do business with have 100% feedback. How is beyond me but somehow they do. Buyer beware.
How do you pay through an insured method? Would an example of that be the business option through paypal?

How do you pay through an insured method? Would an example of that be the business option through paypal?
Yes, Goods and Services. I think there are other ways too but I haven't had issues in many many years since being pickier who I buy things from and a lot of good luck.
I've only paid with goods and services a few times on here just in case due to new members or no existing feedback.
Don't pay with friends and family if you can't afford to lose the money if things go sideways.
Like UpNdown said tho. Most people on here wouldn't risk bad feedback over a bad sale if they intend to stay here buying and selling chips.
Majority of us will make it right if something goes wrong like shipping damage, miscommunication, or faulty product.

Yes, Goods and Services. I think there are other ways too but I haven't had issues in many many years since being pickier who I buy things from and a lot of good luck.
I've only paid with goods and services a few times on here just in case due to new members or no existing feedback.
Don't pay with friends and family if you can't afford to lose the money if things go sideways.
Like UpNdown said tho. Most people on here wouldn't risk bad feedback over a bad sale if they intend to stay here buying and selling chips.
Majority of us will make it right if something goes wrong like shipping damage, miscommunication, or faulty product.
Though it’s worth mentioning that I won’t accept PayPal goods and services and I’m not looking to screw anybody. I’m just pretty sure those transactions generate some sort of tax documents? And I’m not looking to screw Uncle Sam either - I’m generally selling at or below cost, so there wouldn’t be any taxable profits. But I don’t feel like explaining that in April.

Though it’s worth mentioning that I won’t accept PayPal goods and services and I’m not looking to screw anybody. I’m just pretty sure those transactions generate some sort of tax documents? And I’m not looking to screw Uncle Sam either - I’m generally selling at or below cost, so there wouldn’t be any taxable profits. But I don’t feel like explaining that in April.
Forgot that angle but that's also most likely only applicable for members with oodles of feedback and frequent transactions. I ask for friends and family for that reason too.
New members on the other hand. 1 or 2 transactions with goods and services are very unlikely to get taxed until they can gather a reputation on here like the rest of us. If they are doing enough business elsewhere to ask for f&f then hopefully they have verifiable feedback to share.
I had one such transaction with a new member here but he shared his same screen name with like 8 yrs of membership on a different forum and oodles of feedback there.
It's really about how much risk you're willing to take and how well you can judge character if taking risks.

I had a lot of trepidation about buying off the classifieds when I first joined. But I think if you do your homework and “verify”, you can feel very safe.

I made a HUGE purchase from @Hunt247. Think he only had like 14 positive feedbacks at the time. But I saw that his feedbacks were from members who are here all the time (+1000s posts). He also was open and up front in communicating through PMs. In the end, nothing but a first class transaction :).

Now if you’re considering sending a PayPal FF to @coldwaterguy937626 and they only have feedback from @firedude297456, you might be getting scammed :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom