Barrington poker table thread (31 Viewers)

Okay, I'm pretty close to picking up a table like this. A couple questions:

1) Are there are deeper cup holders people have used/can recommend that don't require cutting? Same diameter? Just heat up the existing holders to loosen up the glue and straight swap out?
2) Rather than doing speed cloth I think I will just go for a custom topper from @rjdev7. That seems an easy enough approach and looks nice.
a) Am I correct that if I get this sized right it will just lay in the interior of the table? No reason to secure and no reason to overthink this?
b) I am presuming I will want to get my table first and take exact measurements...any guidelines for how to size to just snug up under the rail?

1) Are there are deeper cup holders people have used/can recommend that don't require cutting? Same diameter? Just heat up the existing holders to loosen up the glue and straight swap out?
2) Rather than doing speed cloth I think I will just go for a custom topper from @rjdev7. That seems an easy enough approach and looks nice.
a) Am I correct that if I get this sized right it will just lay in the interior of the table? No reason to secure and no reason to overthink this?
b) I am presuming I will want to get my table first and take exact measurements...any guidelines for how to size to just snug up under the rail?
2a) correct
2b) correct

Regarding 1 - I don't think so. I'm mid project (cut 3 holes, but the drill bit in my hole saw snapped during hole 4). I don't think it's possible to add deeper cup holders without cutting because the base of the current cup holders are glued to the first layer of wood. There isn't any room deeper cup holders without cutting.

Also, regarding 2b - I sent the link of the exact table I bought to rjdev7 and he was able to set me up. Granted this was just last week and I haven't received my topper yet, but I'm certain it'll be fine. But yes, I'm sure measuring it and providing those measurements to rjdev7 will let him know which size is right.

Regarding 1 - I don't think so. I'm mid project (cut 3 holes, but the drill bit in my hole saw snapped during hole 4). I don't think it's possible to add deeper cup holders without cutting because the base of the current cup holders are glued to the first layer of wood. There isn't any room deeper cup holders without cutting.

@davesilver88 is right. There is no more depth past the original cup holders. If you want deeper cup holders you will need to drill the new depth.

OK, I have bought everything for all the mods, except the hole saw. I've read comments about hole saws breaking and wishing people had bought a different one. Can you guys recommend a 3 5/8" hole saw/arbor that WAS deep enough and that you WERE very happy with so I can get the right one and avoid any headaches?

Thanks in advance!

I mentioned a number of posts back about the Lenox one from Lowe’s ...it’s a beast. Saw is $20 and you need an arbor which is an additional $17-$20.
IMG_5563.jpeg

Are the table’s cup holders THAT bad? Is there a solution where one can just put another, deeper cup holder in the existing ones?

Are the table’s cup holders THAT bad? Is there a solution where one can just put another, deeper cup holder in the existing ones?
It’s the equivalent of putting your drink on a coaster. They are not preventing spills. As mentioned above, the only way to go deeper is to drill the second board out creating a hole.

They’re crazy shallow, in my opinion. You could go without it, but with a depth of just a little over an inch, any bump of a beer bottle and it’s tipping over and pouring on your playing surface.
IMG_5222.jpeg

The problem is that there’s a wood base below the cup holder, so there’s no way to replace them with a larger holder without drilling a hole to make room.

It’s the equivalent of putting your drink on a coaster. They are not preventing spills. As mentioned above, the only way to go deeper is to drill the second board out creating a hole.

They’re crazy shallow, in my opinion. You could go without it, but with a depth of just a little over an inch, any bump of a beer bottle and it’s tipping over and pouring on your playing surface. View attachment 1299568
The problem is that there’s a wood base below the cup holder, so there’s no way to replace them with a larger holder without drilling a hole to make room.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what’s the inside diameter of the cup holder? I tried looking it up but couldn’t find it.

But, in doing so, looks like the LED version is on sale again:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barringt...In-laid-LED-Lights-Brown-and-Black/3963393753

They're useless. I'm very comfortable playing on an unmodified first generation Barrington unless I have a drink.

No. That table weighs 88lbs and the Barrington one weighs about 100lbs.
According to the details on Walmart's site the Barrington is 82 lb.

Screenshot_20240326-154547.png

I really think these are essentially the same table, but the Pexmor has 2.4" deep cup holders and brown rails.

Screenshot_20240326-160254.png

Last edited:
Would you recommend it for those reasons alone if not planning to use the LEDs?
I bought the regular version and exchanged it to the LED version for just those reasons. I never plan on using the LED's but the heavier deck is definitely a plus.
Be warned...the folded table is HEAVY. I bought the bag for it and it's better, but two people makes getting it set up much easier.

I bought the regular version and exchanged it to the LED version for just those reasons. I never plan on using the LED's but the heavier deck is definitely a plus.
Be warned...the folded table is HEAVY. I bought the bag for it and it's better, but two people makes getting it set up much easier.
I will admit I was totally not expecting the LED table to have the heft that it did. Definitely a two-person job for my setup, but it also pays to have strapping young sons that want to show off their muscles...

the simpsons muscles GIF

Are the table’s cup holders THAT bad?

You know, when I originally bought the table, I didn't think I'd want to upgrade my cup holders. I thought my crew and I would be able to manage around it and I didn't see the need. On the first night of play I noticed one of my players lean in to scoop up chips and his leg pushed up against his drink and practically knocked it over onto the table. I made a motion for it and he mentioned the drink was almost empty. Whew.

I then realized I needed to upgrade.

Here's what a regular Coke can looks like in an upgraded cup holder. The lean you see here is the most it will ever tip over. At worst, there will be some splash on the table but most will collect in the cup holder.
upgraded.jpg

Here is the same Coke can in the original cup holder. As you can see, the can will easily tip over onto the playing field.
original.jpg

TL;DR - Yes, it's THAT bad (for me and my crew).

Yea looks pretty bad. I was hoping I could buy a smaller, deeper cup holder to place/glue into the existing ones, but from the looks of it, if I did that, regular sized cans wouldn’t fit.

Yea looks pretty bad. I was hoping I could buy a smaller, deeper cup holder to place/glue into the existing ones, but from the looks of it, if I did that, regular sized cans wouldn’t fit.

If you just buy deeper cup holders, regular sized cans should fit just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom