33 in the bb (1 Viewer)

stocky

Full House
Reaction score
Playing cash game after busting the tournament last night. Game is .50/1 but people only really buy in for $50 so it can be fairly short stacked at times.

It's early so we are 4 handed.

UTG. Ok lag, opening raise is likely A2+ K10+ and any pocket pair but I wouldn't be surprised with an open with suited connectors. Always tangling with hero. He never believes me and I rarely believe him. Sitting just over $50

Button is a new guy. First time playing with him, he is very fit or fold. Doubled up early and at $100ish.

Sb is very TAG player but loves to take on UTG. Sitting on $30 in for $100.

Hero in the bb. Playing pretty LAG against btn and sb and getting the best of it. Sitting on $80 from original $50

So. UTG opens for $3
Btn and SB call.
Action on hero with 33, $10 in the pot. Raise, call, fold.

IMO, call is the best option. Fold is a possibility. No raise for sure in this situation.

Seeing a multi-way flop with small pair is the way to go. Hit a set and you'll likely clean some plates.

The problem with a raise in this situation is that you've got some short stacks that may move all-in with a wide range.

I wouldnt want to put $30 in pre-flop on a small pair, especially considering the blinds are relatively small.

Classic set-mining situation. Folding would be a waste of a decent speculative hand, and raising would be a waste of money. Call.

I think flatting will be the standard answer here.

So hero calls. $12 pot.

Flop 3AJr

SB checks. Hero check/bet?

No reason not to bet here. I'd go with 3/4 pot-size bet. You should get at least one call, maybe even a short-stack, all-in raise.

No reason not to bet here. I'd go with 3/4 pot-size bet. You should get at least one call, maybe even a short-stack, all-in raise.

Personal read on the SB (who is the shortest stack) if he hit this flop he is leading. The check from him would likely mean he has missed the flop and is check/fold mode now.

Personal read on the SB (who is the shortest stack) if he hit this flop he is leading. The check from him would likely mean he has missed the flop and is check/fold mode now.

I thought there were 4 players involved at this point? Did the others fold and I miss it?

Lead out. If no one caught anything, those are the breaks, but we're 4-handed, so there's likely to be someone with a hand worth playing out there. Or maybe UTG will just play back at us for the hell of it.

Half-pot bet of $6 should be good unless you have inside info that it wouldn't.

I echo @Jimulacrum here. You have to lead and represent something. If everyone hit air, well that's tough. You gain nothing really by giving a free pass.

I thought there were 4 players involved at this point? Did the others fold and I miss it?

No, you mentioned a short stack raising all in. The only real short stack is sb who wouldn't check raise here IMO that's all.

Also forgot to mention UTG is probably cbetting 85-90% of the time. Do we take this into consideration at all?

Also forgot to mention UTG is probably cbetting 85-90% of the time. Do we take this into consideration at all?

That's part of the argument for betting out here, IMO. A smallish lead looks like we're trying to preempt his c-bet, so a little weak. Or does it? I don't know. Makes it tough for anyone with an ace (the main hand we hope to get action from) to respond without making a mistake.

If we check-raise the c-bet, on the other hand, it looks strong and is easier to get away from. I'd only go for that if UTG and/or button are the type of players who take check-raises personally and get super-sticky.

As @Jimulacrum stated, a check-raise looks awfully strong. I think you have to represent an Ace. The best way to do that is to lead out. If the short stack goes away, so be it.

I think the last thing you want to do is miss an opportunity to build the pot.

I think the last thing you want to do is miss an opportunity to build the pot.

I also really don't want to have to fear a third Broadway card on the turn or river. By betting out, we can be pretty certain that we don't have to worry about someone holding the gutshot if one does fall.

Late to this but if I read your discriptions of the players, you have at least one who never believes you. There are only 2 possible hands that are ahead of you. there could be a set against set 2 pair or a straight draw. Shove all day.

Stacks are medium. Pot is $12, $50 = UTG/original raiser while button has hero covered but is fit/fold. SB only has $30 and sounds like he is folding. Hero is pot committed absent a runner-runner run out and might still be.

If UTG is betting 85%+ of the time when checked to, I am trapping.

I check -=- DrStrange

OK. So hero checks.

UTG bets $6 folds to hero. Call or raise?

I'd say call. A raise looks too strong. It could cause the original bettor to check the next street. I think one issue you've got now is that you're out of position. So, by not taking the lead - you've backed yourself in a corner somewhat.

Since we're taking the check line, flat call and then bet out on the turn.

Alternatively, call this bet, check the turn with the intention of calling any bet there, and then bet out the river.

Just a call. Hope he has the ace and he thinks you're taking one off with a jack or weak ace

Since we're taking the check line, flat call and then bet out on the turn.

Alternatively, call this bet, check the turn with the intention of calling any bet there, and then bet out the river.

I don't think you can lead out on the turn. There's no card that will come to improve your hand. I mean think about it. Turn comes an 8, then what? You going to represent two pair. Nah.

Not leading out post-flop limits his options IMO.

I don't think you can lead out on the turn. There's no card that will come to improve your hand. I mean think about it. Turn comes an 8, then what? You going to represent two pair. Nah.

We're not leading out to represent strength. The last thing we want is to appear strong. We're leading out to make a confusing move that UTG will tend to read as weakness because:

He never believes me

Let's use that against him.

A half pot C-bet? Is that a bit odd for this villain?

Mumble something about wimpy bets and make it $12 on top. I agree with Jimulacrum, let's use our villain read and see if he can be baited into stacking off on pride.

A "3" would feel nice.

I think you allow the villian to keep the lead in the hand. Check call until river. Then you have a decision to trap or lead that street. Clearly if he checks back on turn you have to lead river with most run outs.

Mumble something about wimpy bets and make it $12 on top.

I can see an argument for the check-raise based on UTG tending not to believe our aggression (though I think it's a better argument for having bet out in the first place). However, I can't condone throwing the "wimpy bet" remark in there.

I couldn't tell you how many monsters I've escaped due to this class of tell alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom