What’s it gonna take? Live Home Game? (1 Viewer)

We never stopped playing, but I work with two of players and the others all worked from home. We decided to keep playing with the core group. We have since added a few others as the lockdown has been lifted.

I hosted a semimonthly game before the pandemic and I miss seeing the guys. A couple of the guys have been in my ear in the past two weeks to host again with restrictions being loosened, but I won’t rush it and want to see how it goes before diving into it again.

That said and with an eye to the future, I took some steps by ordering a case of hand sanitizer through Amazon. You can get these in either a two-pack or 12-pack case. I went with the 12-pack to go along with a box of masks and gloves handy in case players don’t show up with their own and want to use them.

IMG_4430.jpg

Here’s a link to the 12-pack case of hand sanitizers if anyone wanted to check them out.

I also purchased 10 hand towels for the guys and have them tucked away in the supply closet of my poker room. I think the days of a common hand towel in the bathroom during my home games are gone, so each player will get their own and I’ll place it on their chairs for them to use. I can see myself taking hourly breaks to wipe down and sanitize the playing area.

IMG_4470.JPG

I will say I found an interesting dynamic during an unofficial poll sent in a group text to my core players. At least four of them said their wives weren’t comfortable with them going out to play poker even with the loosened restrictions. I get it – they have wives and children to think about. So even if/when I’m comfortable enough to host again, which I know won’t be for a couple more months at a minimum, the players’ and their families’ comfort level is another big consideration.

Finally, @LotsOfChips presented a great idea with e-transfers so money isn’t handled/exchanged at the table. That’s at least one risk taken away with that route and I’ll probably do that.

This is what I sent to my group this morning of what to expect games to look like:

1. Your health and the health of your family and friends is the highest priority, as it is for my family and friends. If you or any close contact (family member you live with, friend, or coworker) has had any viral symptoms within two weeks of the game, you will not be able to attend. I am willing to go by the honor's system here and I think we're all able to self-police this, but please consider others. Same goes for me, I will cancel or postpone the game if I am not well or if a close contact is sick within two weeks of the projected game date.

2. Inside or outside, face masks of some kind will be absolutely compulsory while seated at the table. No exceptions. I will have a small stockpile of surgical masks; I can give you one if you do not have one.

3. Washing hands with soap and water or with hand sanitizer will be compulsory upon sitting down at the table, before getting up from the table, and upon return to the table. No exceptions.

4. Communal snack bowls (chips, pretzels, popcorn, etc) are absolutely going to be a no go. Donuts, for example, will be acceptable as long as you don't touch or lick every single one. The idea is that there are not multiple hands touching something that you're going to eat. Speaking of which...

5. Absolutely no food or eating will be allowed around the table or area of play. Feel free to sit out a hand or two or an orbit to get something to eat, but eat it away from the table where your mask will be off and you won't be able to spread saliva or respiratory droplets to others. Difficult as it may be, try to maintain a 6 foot distance between yourself and others than may be eating or otherwise won't have their faces covered.

6. Drinks will be allowed at the table in individualized vessels, i.e. a can of soda or beer, bottle of water, etc. You are also welcome to bring your own drink as long as you're the only one to touch the vessel. You may lower your mask to take a sip of your drink, but talking between sips or otherwise talking without a face mask covering on your mouth and nose is strongly discouraged.

7. Recent evidence indicates that COVID spreads mostly from respiratory droplets from sneezing, coughing, or even talking. This is why such stringent hand washing practices and wearing face coverings at all times is so important, which leads me to....

8. We will use a fresh set of cards as we usually do anyway, and I will open them in front of everyone to assure that the cards are "sterile" and have not previously been used. I will wash my hands prior to handling of any cards and before removal of cards from the packaging.

9. Although I appreciate the help under normal circumstances, the host will be the only one to touch the buy in money and chips before being put into play.
I will have all initial stacks and re-buys pre-cut and arranged on a large chip tray ready to go in order to avoid delays and to keep the game going as usual. I will have let the chips to be used "rest" without being touched for several days until the day of the game so there is no chance of any virus being on them. I will be washing my hands prior to cutting initial stacks and preparing re-buys, and will wash my hands prior to handling any chips when handing out the stacks and before touching the chips again to get a re-buy.

The cards, chips, and dealer button will be used as usual, and upon completion of the game, will all be left out for one week to "air out" and assure that any virus particles that somehow get on the gaming equipment dies off before using again, but let's be real, I have enough of new card set ups to last many years' worth of poker games and can rotate the chip sets so no same set needs to go into play for consecutive games.

One interesting thing that the CDC released earlier this month. They updated the information on how the virus spreads and stating that , "This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads" when speaking about touching surfaces.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html

So maybe masks and still have some hand sanitizer just in case? Don't touch your face!!!

It will probably be a while for me before I host. I have my 83 year old mom living with me.

David

One interesting thing that the CDC released earlier this month. They updated the information on how the virus spreads and stating that , "This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads" when speaking about touching surfaces.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html

So maybe masks and still have some hand sanitizer just in case? Don't touch your face!!!

It will probably be a while for me before I host. I have my 83 year old mom living with me.

David
That is correct. Though they came out and said that this is the case, it is not to say that the virus cannot spread via surfaces, just that it is not as likely as previously thought and can still happen, but not as often as being spread via respiratory droplets.

That is correct. Though they came out and said that this is the case, it is not to say that the virus cannot spread via surfaces, just that it is not as likely as previously thought and can still happen, but not as often as being spread via respiratory droplets.
Yes, the quoted line in my post alludes to that

I have been talking about getting a game with guys in my neighborhood. All the families know each other and we all know if anybody had been sick. Keep it small, maybe 6 players. Since we all know what is going on with each of the players families, it seems to be relatively low risk to play. So we will probably play some time in the next couple weeks.

Interesting how different people's groups are. I have not had one person from our group ask me to start games or even inquire about starting them. I am hoping to start in July, but we'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom