Try this again-College theme (1 Viewer)

Zajac

Pair
Reaction score
I tried to get a Kent State theme going one other time.....premise is ......went to college late 80s-90s there and lived in dorms connected by a entertainment center in the basement called Eastway. I want to make cash set with Cali colors with a different inlay for each denom....I chose rack of pool balls for the pool tables there, the Kent eagle mascot, the most popular bar "Ray's" and black squirrels because they are local animal. with the help @timinater I have these. in hopes to make a CPC set. Let me know your thoughts.

Back Eastway Poker.png
Front Eastway Poker.png

Do you have color samples? These colors don't appear in person like they do on a screen. The canary color you've picked is paler that you might expect in person.

I do have samples and am open to selecting a different yellow.....I haven't looked at them in a while but will bring them out for final decision.

I also couldn't tell what the graphic was on the third chip. "Rays" doesn't translate well on the $25

Last edited:
The white is star of the show here ! Which is kind a shame sense your not going to see it often.

I agree I need to work on the $25 Ray's chip to make it clearer...better. Looking feedback on the following:

Do you like the different inlay for each side?
Do you like a different inlay for each denom or is there one you would make for all?
Thoughts on colors/spots chosen?

We have sets with the same inlay and different inlay per demon. We have sets with different A and B sides. It's really up to what you want to have on your table.

I understand all those options exist...and I know all that matters is what I want...but I was hoping for the feedback based on the options I have so far.

Attached is a revise $25 inlay and adjusted colors for $1 and $5

Eastway 11.23.23.png

It’s hard to give feedback because in general… it feels off for me. I’m not sure how I would redirect it. Our tastes are different, and that’s ok, so long as you love your product.

Specifics…

I can appreciate the desire to have different inlays. I tried that, and in retrospect, wish I hadn’t. You could use different colors on the same inlay to give them some flair- the City of Doom sunsets, for example, does that very well.

The red circles aren’t consistent.

Bright white and light blue pair well, but the $1 brown beard has me perplexed. I’m less enjoying the design and more trying to figure it out.
The $5 colors are proven, I think others have that combo around here for you to see how it looks IRL.
I think the spot colors on the $25 are ho-hum and dated. Not how the lavender and lt blue will play well on a poker table at night.
The $100 isn’t as interesting or exciting as the $25 and kinda flat.

Not sure why you have to put the star on a map. Are folks playing your game not going to know where they’re at? Why is that map the focal point?

Eastway on the back doesn’t seem as strong as the Eastway on the front.

Not sure how the pool balls and Ray’s logo will translate on a textured inlay.

Im with warma on several points. I don't know if I've seen a chip with opposing inlays that i like. Generally i just think one side is stronger than the other and they should have went with the better side of the inlay for both sides. Give your inlay more time to kick around. It is extremely hard to make a fantastic inlay...let alone four different great inlays AND the opposing side to be equally significant. As far as edge spots, the selection of spots are good but the colors are meh. Having said that, i think edge spot colors is something that is very varied and personal so take this with a grain of salt. Personally I also dont like the brown 'beard' on the $1 at all either. The other chips/colors aren't bad...but aren't what i would consider great either. This is all such personal choice that i hope u don't take offense, im just giving my honest take.

It’s hard to give feedback because in general… it feels off for me. I’m not sure how I would redirect it. Our tastes are different, and that’s ok, so long as you love your product.

Specifics…

I can appreciate the desire to have different inlays. I tried that, and in retrospect, wish I hadn’t. You could use different colors on the same inlay to give them some flair- the City of Doom sunsets, for example, does that very well.

The red circles aren’t consistent.

Bright white and light blue pair well, but the $1 brown beard has me perplexed. I’m less enjoying the design and more trying to figure it out.
The $5 colors are proven, I think others have that combo around here for you to see how it looks IRL.
I think the spot colors on the $25 are ho-hum and dated. Not how the lavender and lt blue will play well on a poker table at night.
The $100 isn’t as interesting or exciting as the $25 and kinda flat.

Not sure why you have to put the star on a map. Are folks playing your game not going to know where they’re at? Why is that map the focal point?

Eastway on the back doesn’t seem as strong as the Eastway on the front.

Not sure how the pool balls and Ray’s logo will translate on a textured inlay.

Thanks for the response....I admit I am not a creative person....hence the post here. The map was only a reference to the college location...not where I live and play now. I am not married to any of this and will keep working it.

Im with warma on several points. I don't know if I've seen a chip with opposing inlays that i like. Generally i just think one side is stronger than the other and they should have went with the better side of the inlay for both sides. Give your inlay more time to kick around. It is extremely hard to make a fantastic inlay...let alone four different great inlays AND the opposing side to be equally significant. As far as edge spots, the selection of spots are good but the colors are meh. Having said that, i think edge spot colors is something that is very varied and personal so take this with a grain of salt. Personally I also dont like the brown 'beard' on the $1 at all either. The other chips/colors aren't bad...but aren't what i would consider great either. This is all such personal choice that i hope u don't take offense, im just giving my honest take.
Thanks for the feedback....is there any one inlay you like if it become the only one?

What stakes is this set being built for, $1-$2? Assuming the fiver is your workhorse chip? How important is incorporating Kent State colors?

In general, it is difficult to do a whole set based on a single limited colour pattern e.g. national flag, school.colour, sports team logo, because you quickly run out of options to use spot combos and dirty stack potential looms large. Sometimes these limited colours are best used in the inlay across all denoms because they will visually unify the set.

What stakes is this set being built for, $1-$2? Assuming the fiver is your workhorse chip? How important is incorporating Kent State colors?
Yes $1/$2......nothing is vital.....open to any improvements

Yes $1/$2......nothing is vital.....open to any improvements

Ok, so some general feedback first: get your fiver exactly how you want it. That'll be your workhorse chip, get that perfect and work the rest of the set around that.

And some more specific feedback:
  • Your latest mockup works a little better than the original: blue and lavender are fairly similar, and I'd be slightly worried about dirty stacks with those two base colors together. I think the light blue works much better here to distinguish the two, and IMHO that chip feels like it fits into the overall feel of the rest of the set. If there's not an overwhelming reason why you're using two of the same color spots on the $1, I'd recommend making that second white spot blue (or maybe yellow):
1701542190276.png

• On the inlay design, while I usually do like seeing slightly different designs on each side of the chip, I feel like the two designs you have are stylistically different. Different fonts and the name emphasis is different side to side (EASTWAY poker vs Eastway Poker). Similar for each of the various graphics, they're a little too different (some are simple, others are detailed, the squirrel has no color) and I think that detracts from the flow. I would perhaps consider going with the Kent State logo on one side, and then pick one of the others like the racked billiard balls for the other side.
All just my 2¢ worth :)

Ok, so some general feedback first: get your fiver exactly how you want it. That'll be your workhorse chip, get that perfect and work the rest of the set around that.

And some more specific feedback:
  • Your latest mockup works a little better than the original: blue and lavender are fairly similar, and I'd be slightly worried about dirty stacks with those two base colors together. I think the light blue works much better here to distinguish the two, and IMHO that chip feels like it fits into the overall feel of the rest of the set. If there's not an overwhelming reason why you're using two of the same color spots on the $1, I'd recommend making that second white spot blue (or maybe yellow):
View attachment 1233520
  • On the inlay design, while I usually do like seeing slightly different designs on each side of the chip, I feel like the two designs you have are stylistically different. Different fonts and the name emphasis is different side to side (EASTWAY poker vs Eastway Poker). Similar for each of the various graphics, they're a little too different (some are simple, others are detailed, the squirrel has no color) and I think that detracts from the flow. I would perhaps consider going with the Kent State logo on one side, and then pick one of the others like the racked billiard balls for the other side.
All just my 2¢ worth :)
Thank you very much

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom